autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's PFM towels less absorbant... what did I do?

I have both sizes. I use the small ones more often. Was drying the car the other day and noticed they are pushing some water around. They never used to do that. My large ones are fine. The smaller ones that get used more are the problem.

So what the heck did I do wrong? I always wash with 3D Towel Kleen. Always warm water with a pre-wash. Always multiple rinses. I sometimes use vinegar in the rinse cycle. I separate my towels but don't do drying towels by themselves. (Yes, I'm get that many have recommended this.) I always dry them on the lowest possible setting. They could have gotten washed with MF used to apply or remove sealants. Problem?

And is there a way to restore them to their previous absorbency? They look fine visually.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's PFM towels less absorbant... what did I do?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I have both sizes. I use the small ones more often. Was drying the car the other day and noticed they are pushing some water around. They never used to do that. My large ones are fine. The smaller ones that get used more are the problem.

So what the heck did I do wrong? I always wash with 3D Towel Kleen. Always warm water with a pre-wash. Always multiple rinses. I sometimes use vinegar in the rinse cycle. I separate my towels but don't do drying towels by themselves. (Yes, I'm get that many have recommended this.) I always dry them on the lowest possible setting. They could have gotten washed with MF used to apply or remove sealants. Problem?

And is there a way to restore them to their previous absorbency? They look fine visually.
    You should be washing with hot water.
    Do you use a drying aid? If so, which 1?

Post Thanks / Like

i'm curious as well Griot's PFM towels less absorbant... what did I do?

Post Thanks / Like

As previously mentioned, using drying aids over time could make the towel itself hydrophobic. I would think a good pre wash and wash would remove this though. Try soaking the towel in some degreaser before a wash to remove any detailer, wax, and sealant before your wash. Hope this could help.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I don't use a drying aid with those towels. When I use a drying aid it's always with different ones (my favorite rinseless towel which is also a pretty good drying towel). I'll try hot water washing to see if that revives them. There's been some debate here about hot water harming the fibers so I played it safe. I can also soak in a degreaser first.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I don't use a drying aid with those towels. When I use a drying aid it's always with different ones (my favorite rinseless towel which is also a pretty good drying towel). I'll try hot water washing to see if that revives them. There's been some debate here about hot water harming the fibers so I played it safe. I can also soak in a degreaser first.
    The directions on the label of the Griots PFM towel say to wash with hot water.

Don’t soak it with degreaser.

7. Likes Daven75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Directions? Huh... will have to try that.

Thanks Eldo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You should be washing with hot water.
    Do you use a drying aid? If so, which 1?
    +1, absolutely agree that you need to try hot water.

+2 for the drying aid question. Which one?

I don't believe residential hot water will damage microfiber. Normal hot water temperature is between 110F-130F, hardly enough to compared to water drops on black paint on a hot day in a humid climate. Water is going to act as a heat sink and the microfiber will never exceed the temperature of the water. Drying (in a dryer) is different. You want to be careful with drying on high heat. Temps can exceed 180F in there and there is nothing to dissipate the heat if a hot spot is created due to the tumbling action.

I use spray wax as a drying agent which is naturally going to challenge absorbency of the microfiber. I haven't even tried drying a car without a drying agent (ostensibly to break down the surface tension of the water causing the fibers to wick it away from the paint) in many years. Someone here turned me on to QD and spray waxes as drying agent and I was hooked. Severely reduces chances of marring, too. I can see no negative (other than cost) from using a drying agent every time a towel touches my paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleBis2 View Post
    As previously mentioned, using drying aids over time could make the towel itself hydrophobic. I would think a good pre wash and wash would remove this though. Try soaking the towel in some degreaser before a wash to remove any detailer, wax, and sealant before your wash. Hope this could help.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I tend to agree with this to a certain extent but the drying aid will mitigate this effect by breaking down the surface tension of the water drops on the paint. My feeling is that if my towels are "tainted" with a drying agent then I need to always use a drying agent. I haven't dried paint without a drying agent in years, mainly because I believe it reduces marring.

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly you have hard water?

Do you let the drying towels dry before washing them? If so do a couple of washes after each other with a little stronger dilution of Towel Kleen and white vinegar in the rinse cycle and quite alot of it. And since instructions says you can wash with hot water do so. The thing I think of is if dried towels may clogg the mf from lime scale and other contaminants from the water. If doing bigger loads with drying towels keep them wet till you do so. And ad a little of Towel Kleen in the bucket to get a presoak to the wash. I put a grit guard upside down over the towels in the bucket to keep them under the water. And do so with pads and other towels too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast