autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's PFM towels less absorbant... what did I do?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I have both sizes. I use the small ones more often. Was drying the car the other day and noticed they are pushing some water around. They never used to do that. My large ones are fine. The smaller ones that get used more are the problem.

So what the heck did I do wrong? I always wash with 3D Towel Kleen. Always warm water with a pre-wash. Always multiple rinses. I sometimes use vinegar in the rinse cycle. I separate my towels but don't do drying towels by themselves. (Yes, I'm get that many have recommended this.) I always dry them on the lowest possible setting. They could have gotten washed with MF used to apply or remove sealants. Problem?

And is there a way to restore them to their previous absorbency? They look fine visually.
    Did u wash them with glass towels or use them on Glass? That will do it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The directions on the label of the Griots PFM towel say to wash with hot water.

Don’t soak it with degreaser.
    The problem is hot water can be 102 in 1 persons house and 140 in another person's house. There's no mixing valve on the washing machine unless you select warm ur getting straight hot water from the heater

3. Likes 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update: I washed them. I went with a hot water wash with no soap to see how that looked. Nothing showed up visibly. I then washed them in hot water with Towel Kleen and rinsed three times. I then did a short wash in hot water with no soap again. Nothing visibly in the water, but they got an extra hot and cold rinse. Then dried on low as usual.

Tested this morning and they all seem to be working better except for one of my small towels. Guessing I contaminated it somehow. Not sure I noticed this previously, but these towels don't seem to wipe well. They blot excellently. So I think the towels are good except for one which has to be my fault somehow.

Thanks for the help and discussion.
    Towel kleen is only a pH of about 8 as I recall when I tested it. Would recommend a presoak of water based degreaser with Oxiclean for a few hours, and wash with same.

This is how I'm now washing with great results. Need strong cleaners to attack dried sealants etc.

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Did u wash them with glass towels or use them on Glass? That will do it
    Very easily could have done either. If the glass is clean why would this be a problem? What's the issue with washing with glass towels? I use glass-specific MFs (thin ones, not waffle weaves).
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I washed them. I went with a hot water wash with no soap to see how that looked. Nothing showed up visibly. I then washed them in hot water with Towel Kleen and rinsed three times. I then did a short wash in hot water with no soap again. Nothing visibly in the water, but they got an extra hot and cold rinse. Then dried on low as usual.

Tested this morning and they all seem to be working better except for one of my small towels. Guessing I contaminated it somehow. Not sure I noticed this previously, but these towels don't seem to wipe well. They blot excellently. So I think the towels are good except for one which has to be my fault somehow.

Thanks for the help and discussion.
    I found this thread as I was reading up on drying towels. Full disclosure: I am by no means someone who should be giving advice on auto detailing or anything as I've recently joined this forum to learn everything for the first time. Also, it seems your problem has mostly been resolved, but I just thought I'd post what little I can contribute to the auto detailing world, as an "outsider."

My hobby is my vinyl record collection. When that started, I got something called a Spin Clean which is like a bathtub for records, and the drying step involves using these specialized towels that came with the system. The towels were miserable. They're absorbent too a point, but they shed and the weave makes it nearly impossible to remove any particulate it attracts.

After speaking with a lot of other vinyl enthusiasts, I started used higher quality microfiber towels which didn't shed, and provided they were kept totally dust and lint-free (which is impossible unless you live in a laboratory), were easy to clean. But the golden rule was: don't put them in the dryer. Not even on air dry. Unless your dryer was brand new and was never used with a Bounce sheet or any other dryer sheet, and everything that was placed in there was totally free of any kind of fabric softener from the was cycle - then sure, go ahead. But apparently, the coating from dryer sheets stick as much to the walls and interior of a dryer, as they do to clothes/fabric/etc. I know you said you don't use fabric softener - but that generally just means with the wash cycle.

So now, I air dry all mine. I have never used liquid fabric softener so my washer (also HE front-load) is safe, but I just use skirt hangers and hang them on my shower curtain rod in the bathroom. I no longer use microfibers for record cleaning since I've upgraded my whole cleaning system to one that incorporates a vacuum, so I've repurposed those to my car. Although I only needed about 8 for the records, and I apparently need 10x times that so I have a ways to go.

Anyway. Just thought I'd throw in what I do know. My package of 16x16 PFM towels just arrived. Time for their first wash (which for me, will be on warm, because the water heater where I live is set to Backdraft).

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting point and I can see how the dryer could be contaminated. My w/d are about 4 years old. I've never had fabric softener or dryer sheets in my house since I've owned those w/d. In fact, I've never used either as adult.

I'm a recovering audiophile. I feel your pain on the vinyl. I ripped all mine and have never looked back.

10. Likes 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two of the PFM towels. I dried 3 vehicles last weekend with one of them! I washed one car on a Friday,and I let the towel air dry over night. The next day I washed another car,and then used it on my truck immediately following that wash. Not one streak even on glass!

Washed with Towel Kleen in warm water and dried on low heat.

12. Likes 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe wash with McKees Coating prep wash?

Lakeland -Tampa - St Pete - Clearwater - Sarasota
    Boats / Auto / Trucks / RVs
    863-738-8336 Follow us on Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have any and can't see buying it to test for this. It sounds like nothing more than an phosphate-free detergent and the description of it is a little confusing (removes waxes before polishing?).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234