autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why don't Rupe's or Flex offer paint thickness gauges?

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    and just because a product is made there doesn't necessarily mean that all the internals are from there as well. people seem to like their iphone's just fine...
    Exactly. And, it's not like China is incapable of making any solid products. They are just the world leader in supplying the biggest demand: Cheap products.

Everyone whines about paying 30 bucks for quality socks, so China happily supplies you with 6 pair for 10 bucks.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Exactly. And, it's not like China is incapable of making any solid products. They are just the world leader in supplying the biggest demand: Cheap products.

Everyone whines about paying 30 bucks for quality socks, so China happily supplies you with 6 pair for 10 bucks.
    I'm not sure how many people here have actually been to China. I have for business (semiconductors, semiconductor equipment) in a previous role and I have toured some factories and spoken with ODMs about their process and attended trade shows where ODMs show their wares. China is a sophisticated manufacturing machine, capable of making products that range from junk to elite and everywhere between. They manufacture to cost and you get exactly what you pay for because the ODM market is extremely competitive and there is no stickiness or exclusivity to speak of.

iPhone is always the crown jewel product mentioned but there are plenty of others. Apple is willing to pay for quality and China is more than willing to supply it.

That said, China is the opposite of the US when it comes to regulation and tort litigation, which means there is not much penalty for breaking laws, worker safety, cheating and otherwise deceiving the customer. You just have to pay for that type of quality, too. If people are dying on assembly lines in China more people are brought in to replace them. If that were to happen in the U.S. the manufacturer would probably be shutdown by lawsuits if not regulators. It is part of the high cost of manufacturing in the U.S. and part of the competitive disadvantage that the US Chamber of commerce complains about.

Griots is a good example of having a fine product line made in China. They pay extra to get that quality and I think their product, reputation and customer service speaks for itself.

Don't get caught up in the generalizations that Europe==Good, China==Bad, or in the case of MF Korea==Good. The real world doesn't work that way. Follow the money. The wholesale cost relative to local labor rate is going to be the prime indicator of quality.

3. Likes custmsprty, PaulMys, Kamakaz1961, SWETM liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    I've heard that about flex once or twice.
    When the flex 12mm came out some was like shinemate/Adams mini case..

But flex is def made in Germany.

I know Chevron owns then and ego is also a flex sister? Company..so battery's may be China at least..

As for Griot..they come out of the max shine factory as does others..whereas the other half of the Rupes clones come out of ANSI factory.

Machines that come out of the same factory definitely doesn't mean they all have the same quality. Griot is top notch.
    Griots uses a better bearing, SNK like Rupes, the ones I owned that had Chinese bearings all seized.

Mike Phillips

To get back on topic...

I’ve spoken with a Tech at Defelsko and suffice to say, I learned a lot about the technology behind these types tools.

While I wouldn’t say it’s out of either FLEX or RUPES ability to take on such a completely different industry as a part of there offerings - my guess is in the big picture they will focus on their core competencies and let companies already established in this industry own it

6. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    To get back on topic...

I’ve spoken with a Tech at Defelsko and suffice to say, I learned a lot about the technology behind these types tools.

While I wouldn’t say it’s out of either FLEX or RUPES ability to take on such a completely different industry as a part of there offerings - my guess is in the big picture they will focus on their core competencies and let companies already established in this industry own it

I was going to say the same thing, it is all about focusing on your core competency. Why compete in a sector where you have no talent, experience and learning curve advancement? It is a waste of capital (i.e. $$$) to invest in something you're not good at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    I was going to say the same thing, it is all about focusing on your core competency. Why compete in a sector where you have no talent, experience and learning curve advancement? It is a waste of capital (i.e. $$$) to invest in something you're not good at.
    Yup, you said it.

I'm in the packaging business and that's why I dropped $300 on a Mitituyo Micrometer for plastics. It's specialized for plastics thickness. .00001
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

With love from Deutschland

Why don't Rupe's or Flex offer paint thickness gauges?-3401-jpgWhy don't Rupe's or Flex offer paint thickness gauges?-3401oo-jpgWhy don't Rupe's or Flex offer paint thickness gauges?-pe8-jpg

10. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post

Isn't it kind of irresponsible for Rupe's, Flex, Griot's and Mequiars to offer all these polishers, polishes, pads, etc. to polish your paint, but not a single one of them considers a paint thickness gauge a worthwhile product to offer.
    I guess you and I define irresponsible completely differently. It would irresponsible if RUPES suggested that paint gauges were bad or made assertions that our polishers are so safe that paint gauges weren't needed.

There are plenty of high-quality paint gauge manufacturers out there, so unless we could do it better, differently, or for less money, I don't think you will see us compete in that market anytime soon.

I'll assume that a Rupe's or Flex would price theirs out of many people's reach, but I would like to see someone like Griot's offer one and keep the price down.
    I see what you did there.

12. Thanks custmsprty thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    and just because a product is made there doesn't necessarily mean that all the internals are from there as well. people seem to like their iphone's just fine...
    Yep no doubt
    Also like the fact that I can't swap between Rupes Essentric, or Adams SK essentric and matching plates if need be

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Griots uses a better bearing, SNK like Rupes, the ones I owned that had Chinese bearings all seized.
    I can name a few other China made machinee the uses same bearings along with cnc cut essentrics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12