autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to detailing - Need to shop for products

I've had a PC 7336 SP that I bought over 10 years ago intending to start detailing. I turned it on when I bought it I'm about to let go of a 95 Mustang convertible. I figured it would be a great car to wash, polish, wax and get as shiny as possible before I sell it. It seems like a small car like the mustang would be fast to work on. The vehicle has never been wrecked so all the panels are original. It has some scratches and swirls throughout. I was thinking about using Klasse AIO and maybe the sealant and then a carnuba to finish.

I have a new bottle of ScratchX 2.0 already.

If I am using an AIO do I still need to clay?

What type of pads do I need? Do I need to buy any special products or backing plates to connect the pad to the PC? Are there any kits where I can get most of what I need for a better value? Feel free to link any kits you think could work for me. I was thinking about buying from this website or autopia. I realize they are the same company but autogeek sent me a discount code when I joined. What other products do I need? I'm basically looking for a system.

In the long run I'm basically looking to detail then maintain my other cars (Sequoia and Sienna) with something like wash, AIO and maybe carnuba. The Sequoia is black and the Sienna is silver.

I have a bucket, stick/brush for washing, wash mit, some older towels including some terry cloth, some old socks turned inside out, Meguiar's gold class wash.

The shopping list at this point looks like
    1. Klasse AIO
    2. Maybe Klasse Sealant?
    3. Some sort of backing plate and pads
    4. Terry cloth towels
    5. Carnuba
    6. Maybe Clay?

What else do I need?
    Should I get a polishing compound like Meguiar's 18116, G17216 or something else? Or will the ScratchX 2.0 fit the bill?

Thank you for any tips and product recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to detailing - Need to shop for products

Welcome to AGO

If I were you DUMP the terry cloth towels PERIOD. Get good Quality MICRO FIBER Towels. Additionally, get 2 grit guards for each of your buckets for your 2-bucket wash system. I would probably stay away from Scratch X as that might be to aggressive. As for a Good AIO I like the Meguiar's new D166. That is my go to AIO. Other than that, I think you are OK.

PS: The backing plates and pads are a very common item for the PC.

Have fun in your venture!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to detailing - Need to shop for products

Yes- the terry cloth towels need to go. If there are swirls, scratches, etc. Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner/wax- you will need an actual polish/ compound to help the paint. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish would work. For carnauba on the colors you mentioned, I would use Pinnacle Souveran liquid for a carnauba type wax.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White