autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultima Acrylic WW questions from a newbie

Based on a fair amount of reading on this site, I purchased some Ultima Acrylic Waterless Wash concentrate and some MF towels (and a mitt for the wheels). I'm tired of my car being dirty for months on end. Living in an apt has that as a downside. I used it for the first time the other day, and really like the results. I use the method from this board where you peel the leading edge of the MF towel up so you aren't wiping the dirty part of the towel over the paint after the first wipe. I was please with how clean it got the car and how it felt afterward.

I've got a couple of questions.

1 How much of the 22oz of spray would you expect to use for a small 2 seat sports car like a miata or a boxster? I think I over did it, granted, it was really windy, so I think 1/3 of it blew away before it hit the car.

2 Is there a problem with pre-mixing a batch and letting it sit in the spray bottle for a week?

3a And just to double check, what's the consensus on some sort of wax after the WW or every once in a while? I'm assuming that with a good WW product, you don't need to wax as often, but you would want to wax sometimes, right?

3b If I should wax, then I should probably get some wax. What is a decent quality but easy to apply wax. I see there are lots of spray waxes. I've always used some sort of paste from an autoparts store, never anything fancy. I'd appreciate being able to apply something that would work well, but be much easier to apply than the old school, rub on-let dry-buff off options if there are any.

Can anyone advise about the pros and cons of the UWW+ vs the UWWA? I would think that the UWWA is newer, better and more "advanced", but then that seems counterintuitive to it being $1 cheaper for the 16oz. I also don't see a gallon option for the UWWA vs the UWW+ which does have a gallon option which brings the price down another 25%.

Thoughts and/or recommendations? I'm new so open to advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultima Acrylic WW questions from a newbie

1. I doubt you over did it. The stuff is not that expensive. Use it as liberally as practical.

2. Mix it with distilled water and you won't ever have a problem. I would mix anything concentrate in a 32oz or smaller container with distilled water. Less than $1 per gallon, it's cheap. Bigger quantities (gallon +) like rinseless dilutions, I use filtered water. Use it in a couple weeks and you would be fine.

3. If you wash every two weeks or less, the Acrylic WW should be enough. If you want more, then yes use a spray wax (sealant). One's I like are Griot's Best of Show Detailer, Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer (Both called detailers, but have sealant properties) and CarPro Ech2o mixed 1:20 (Yeah, use distilled water) with a couple ounces of Reload added to a 32oz spray bottle of it (Basically: get a 32oz spray bottle, put 1 1/2 oz of Ech2o and 2oz of Reload in it; fill with distilled water.). All three can be added in as you dry. Quick wipe to get most of the water (with a regular or rinseless wash); spray; finish drying. It doesn't get easier.

UWW+ is a great product. It cleans better than some of the other waterless/rinseless washes. I have the Acrylic, but haven't used it yet. For a waterless, I would try the Ech2o before I bought too many other products.

3. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response. Good to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultima makes an acrylic spray wax as well to go along with their acrylic waterless wash, if you're into product synergy

Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax

6. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Their Ultima Paint Guard Plus is also a great product.

I would get the car cleaned up and apply the above, or another good sealant, and then maintain it with the Acrylic Wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I got this directly from Ultima..........

The waterless wash (bright green) is a water based polymer that offers more cleaning ability and less protection. The acrylic (white) doesn't have the cleaning ability the green has, but offers more protection.

That said, I use the green stuff (not distilled water) and often follow up w/ either Opti Spray Wax or Merlin's Elixir (the Carpro ECH20/Reload/distilled water combo). The
    Carpro is amazingly 'glass-like'. I don’t use ECH20 for RW or WW since it's so expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding letting the 32oz bottle (already mixed) sit: I have numerous WWs and try to use them synergistically with the types of lsp’s I have on my car, but this leads to sometimes having a bottle of mix sit for long periods of time (maybe 6-12 months). I always use distilled water. It’s cheap enough to just pour it out and start a fresh bottle, but I typically don’t pour them and instead use them once I go back to an lsp where I want that certain waterless wash to be used (often within same brand). I have not noticed any degradation of the waterless wash after sitting that long. Still lubricates, smells the same, seems to clean well and still leaves behind that bit of gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

The UWW+ will provide better cleaning, while the Acrylic version leaves behind better gloss/protection. If you want to stick to waterless washings, I suggest you pickup a pressurized garden sprayer to apply the product a bit easier. After you wash follow up with a spray wax such as meg D156. Ultima also has their spray sealant.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good info, thanks folks. Now I've got something to think about, and some stuff to order.
    I think I may try a bottle of the UWW+ and some sort of spray wax or sealant.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered some UWW+ and UPGP from our sponsor.