autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrading my DA polisher

Quote Originally Posted by Maxreed241 View Post
    So I think I have narrowed down my search for a DA. The Flex XFE7-15 and Griots G21. I ruled out the Rupes line because of the “system”. I don’t want to be tied down to a system. I like to switch compounds/polishes and pass. Does anyone have pointers or experience on the flex and griots? If you can share with me anything. It’s greatly appreciated.

You may have seen my recent post, but this is a good example of what I mentioned. I used my G21 with 5" bp with Rupes green pads and Menzerna FG400, nothing could be further from the system LOL.

Then I used my Duetto with BOSS 3" pads for the tight areas. None of which are part of any particular system.

Check out the results:

2015 Black Porsche Cayenne Correction with FG400 and Polish Angel Master Sealant
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

2. Likes PaulMys, Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    You may have seen my recent post, but this is a good example of what I mentioned. I used my G21 with 5" bp with Rupes green pads and Menzerna FG400, nothing could be further from the system LOL.

Then I used my Duetto with BOSS 3" pads for the tight areas. None of which are part of any particular system.

Check out the results:

2015 Black Porsche Cayenne Correction with FG400 and Polish Angel Master Sealant
    I saw that. Porsche turned out great! From what I have researched is that the Rupes system, works the best when paired with their respective machine, pad, and polish. It’s probably just marketing. It is great to hear the awesome real world results with different combinations.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't need to use anyones system..
    There are pads that are similar or same weight as Rupes pad where they won't throw off the balance to cause vibration

The more smooth the machine, the more picky it is with pad selection..my Makita po5000c is like this as is the Mille.

My Griot I've used BS low pros.. it throws off the balance antaf on speed 5.5-6 but I'm always at speed 4.5 so no big deal.

Use any polish/compound you feel

PS the Xfe7-15 lacks lowend..stalls just as bad as the original Rupes es..but with more vibration.

Griot boss or mark 2 isnyou don't want to constantly focus on your sharpies BP for rotation.

5. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxreed241 View Post
    So I think I have narrowed down my search for a DA. The Flex XFE7-15 and Griots G21. I ruled out the Rupes line because of the “system”. I don’t want to be tied down to a system. I like to switch compounds/polishes and pass. Does anyone have pointers or experience on the flex and griots? If you can share with me anything. It’s greatly appreciated.
    Definitely don't need to use the "system".

I prefer it, but don't consider myself tied to it.

There have been plenty of times I used whatever I had lying around, just to experiment.

7. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought into the Rupes system but ended up getting rid of blue, green and UHS pads/liquids...just didn't work for me...didnt like 'em.

Picked up BOSS21, do like the BOSS pads outside of white and use use with their Fast Correcting and Correcting Cremes when situation calls for it but often use other liquids.

Have the Rupes 15 Mk2, BOSS21, Rupes Mini, Flex 3401, GG6. Had a Rupes Duetto for a short while but sold it...just never really found a fit for it amongst the other stuff.

Post floating around somewhere describing Rupes v Flex, but below is gist of it:

I know I struggled last year the whole Rupes v BOSS choice and even after reading everything I could find on the subject ya just never know until you yourself actually drive `em both. When at Barret-Jackson in Scottsdale last January, I got to play with a G21 in the Griots tent for a bit and it was enough to pique my curiosity enough to look into grabbing a G21 at some point.

Normally when time is of the essence and some compounding needs to be done, the Flex 3401, M101 on gray LC Force pads takes care of things like an old beat up van in a relatively expedient manner, although I`ve also used Rupes 15 Mk2 with billet backing plate on these types of vehicles as well. The G21 with 6.5" BOSS Microfiber pads and Megs D300 ate this thing up even quicker than the Flex and far less taxing; 4 passes and move to next section. I`m quite impressed with this machine and really look forward to using it again.

i think the ergonomics of it vs the Rupes (in my case) makes it much easier to use than the Rupes, although the Rupes is still noticeably smoother for the most part and feels more solid/monolithic. The G21 kinda sorta feels more `assembled` if that makes any sense, but is still very smooth and comfortable to use; it`s slightly more compact compared to the Rupes and the angle of the handle and more rounded rubber grips keep me from teeter-tottering the machine/pad as much, eliminating some measure of stalling.

Even though it`s a relatively flat vehicle in this case (Ford E250 panel vsn), and ideal for a 21mm stroke, there are still a few curves over the wheels and some recessed body accent lines that require more attention with the Rupes as opposed to the Flex, and the G21 took care of those with ease, hardly any stalling and quite willing to have the pad edge pushed into recesses to polish. While not apples to apples (21mm v 15mm) it`s become obvious that each has pluses and minuses compared to the other, mostly very minor things.

Regardless, anybody who dismisses the BOSS machines without having tried em, or disparages them as cheap Chinese knockoffs should probably rethink that narrow-minded view. The BOSS is certainly a solid piece of kit, worthy of consideration. Looking forward to trying in a more curvaceous vehicle to see if my current impressions hold. It`s a more comfortable machine to hold (for me) than the Rupes, with more rounded edges and rubber grips/inserts.

I did follow up on the hood with a yellow BOSS Pad and Scholl S40 and it worked very nicely and quickly; that extra 6mm of throw over a 15mm machine really covers a lot of ground efficiently.

As for a few more thoughts on BOSS v. Rupes,

What I prefer w the BOSS:

1. Variable speed trigger. Much more preferable to me, very easy to set working speed and then use variable speed trigger to slowly spread polish initially and then move right up to working speed without having to adjust speed dial. A little item but when you consider how often you do this at the start of each section,` it`s a more convenient approach than Rupes slow start.

2. Ergonomics. For me, BOSS is more comfortable to hold with its softer rubber grips here and there, bit more compact and rounded chassis as well. It just seems to rest in my hands in a more natural manner. Rupes is a bit more `square-ish` with regards to chassis.

3. Usage/effectiveness/learning curve. The BOSS just seemed to be easier to use effectively right outta the box. While it has a more powerful motor, spec-wise, than the Rupes, I`m not sure how (or if) that translates into more torque, thus less stalling.

I didn`t use any if the included washers to space the plate a bit off of the shroud for 100% free spinning and I`m not sure I will. The Rupes seems to have more shroud to plate drag/contact in its stock configuration as when cleanng/spinning` a microfiber pad with compressed air on the Rupes, the stock set up does not allow the pad to spin while compressed air is blown on pad. The G21 will spin while being blown off for effective pad cleaning. There is still some contact with the G21 as when pad stops spinning when power is switched off, it does not completely spin freely until momentum stops it; the last little bit of rotation stops in a manner which indicates friction is involved in the final stopping rather than loss of momentum.

What I prefer w the Rupes:

1. It`s a Rupes. For me, anyway, with the Rupes being the original long throw,` there`s just a certain mystique` (well warranted)` about their machines. The user experience with the Rupes is a very relaxing, almost artistic experience once you get your technique dialed in, which I still have yet to completely do; getting there but still a ways to go.

2. Smooth and soothing while in use. The Rupes still has an advantage in overall smoothness, especially with a billet backing plate bolted on and a yellow or white Rupes pad on it. It`s a combo that just makes me want to polish something for the sake of using it and enjoying the feel. The sound level of the Rupes is smooth as well, a consistent soothing `hum of quality`; G21 is a more mechanical sound although in no way objectionable

3. Rupes has 25ft cord option, not avaliable on G21 that I saw. Minor inconvenience at most but worthy of note.

Pretty much right after ordering the G21 I was on the fence regarding if it was dumb or not, being only an occasional hobbyist with the Rupes 15 and the Flex 3401 on the shelf already; after using it for a few hours, I have no regrets in buying and trying the G21, that`s for sure.

Now the Duetto I picked up last holiday season, that`s turning out to be a dumb purchase...have used it for about 15 minutes so far. With a Rupes Mini, LHR15, Flex 3401 and now G21 I just can`t think of a situation where I might find it useful. Oops.

G21 & LHR15 Mk2 side by side:

9. Likes Maxreed241, DETAILROOKIE, RippyD, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Bought into the Rupes system but ended up getting rid of blue, green and UHS pads/liquids...just didn't work for me...didnt like 'em.

Picked up BOSS21, do like the BOSS pads outside of white and use use with their Fast Correcting and Correcting Cremes when situation calls for it but often use other liquids.

Have the Rupes 15 Mk2, BOSS21, Rupes Mini, Flex 3401, GG6. Had a Rupes Duetto for a short while but sold it...just never really found a fit for it amongst the other stuff.

Post floating around somewhere describing Rupes v Flex, but below is gist of it:

I know I struggled last year the whole Rupes v BOSS choice and even after reading everything I could find on the subject ya just never know until you yourself actually drive `em both. When at Barret-Jackson in Scottsdale last January, I got to play with a G21 in the Griots tent for a bit and it was enough to pique my curiosity enough to look into grabbing a G21 at some point.

Normally when time is of the essence and some compounding needs to be done, the Flex 3401, M101 on gray LC Force pads takes care of things like an old beat up van in a relatively expedient manner, although I`ve also used Rupes 15 Mk2 with billet backing plate on these types of vehicles as well. The G21 with 6.5" BOSS Microfiber pads and Megs D300 ate this thing up even quicker than the Flex and far less taxing; 4 passes and move to next section. I`m quite impressed with this machine and really look forward to using it again.

i think the ergonomics of it vs the Rupes (in my case) makes it much easier to use than the Rupes, although the Rupes is still noticeably smoother for the most part and feels more solid/monolithic. The G21 kinda sorta feels more `assembled` if that makes any sense, but is still very smooth and comfortable to use; it`s slightly more compact compared to the Rupes and the angle of the handle and more rounded rubber grips keep me from teeter-tottering the machine/pad as much, eliminating some measure of stalling.

Even though it`s a relatively flat vehicle in this case (Ford E250 panel vsn), and ideal for a 21mm stroke, there are still a few curves over the wheels and some recessed body accent lines that require more attention with the Rupes as opposed to the Flex, and the G21 took care of those with ease, hardly any stalling and quite willing to have the pad edge pushed into recesses to polish. While not apples to apples (21mm v 15mm) it`s become obvious that each has pluses and minuses compared to the other, mostly very minor things.

Regardless, anybody who dismisses the BOSS machines without having tried em, or disparages them as cheap Chinese knockoffs should probably rethink that narrow-minded view. The BOSS is certainly a solid piece of kit, worthy of consideration. Looking forward to trying in a more curvaceous vehicle to see if my current impressions hold. It`s a more comfortable machine to hold (for me) than the Rupes, with more rounded edges and rubber grips/inserts.

I did follow up on the hood with a yellow BOSS Pad and Scholl S40 and it worked very nicely and quickly; that extra 6mm of throw over a 15mm machine really covers a lot of ground efficiently.

As for a few more thoughts on BOSS v. Rupes,

What I prefer w the BOSS:

1. Variable speed trigger. Much more preferable to me, very easy to set working speed and then use variable speed trigger to slowly spread polish initially and then move right up to working speed without having to adjust speed dial. A little item but when you consider how often you do this at the start of each section,` it`s a more convenient approach than Rupes slow start.

2. Ergonomics. For me, BOSS is more comfortable to hold with its softer rubber grips here and there, bit more compact and rounded chassis as well. It just seems to rest in my hands in a more natural manner. Rupes is a bit more `square-ish` with regards to chassis.

3. Usage/effectiveness/learning curve. The BOSS just seemed to be easier to use effectively right outta the box. While it has a more powerful motor, spec-wise, than the Rupes, I`m not sure how (or if) that translates into more torque, thus less stalling.

I didn`t use any if the included washers to space the plate a bit off of the shroud for 100% free spinning and I`m not sure I will. The Rupes seems to have more shroud to plate drag/contact in its stock configuration as when cleanng/spinning` a microfiber pad with compressed air on the Rupes, the stock set up does not allow the pad to spin while compressed air is blown on pad. The G21 will spin while being blown off for effective pad cleaning. There is still some contact with the G21 as when pad stops spinning when power is switched off, it does not completely spin freely until momentum stops it; the last little bit of rotation stops in a manner which indicates friction is involved in the final stopping rather than loss of momentum.

What I prefer w the Rupes:

1. It`s a Rupes. For me, anyway, with the Rupes being the original long throw,` there`s just a certain mystique` (well warranted)` about their machines. The user experience with the Rupes is a very relaxing, almost artistic experience once you get your technique dialed in, which I still have yet to completely do; getting there but still a ways to go.

2. Smooth and soothing while in use. The Rupes still has an advantage in overall smoothness, especially with a billet backing plate bolted on and a yellow or white Rupes pad on it. It`s a combo that just makes me want to polish something for the sake of using it and enjoying the feel. The sound level of the Rupes is smooth as well, a consistent soothing `hum of quality`; G21 is a more mechanical sound although in no way objectionable

3. Rupes has 25ft cord option, not avaliable on G21 that I saw. Minor inconvenience at most but worthy of note.

Pretty much right after ordering the G21 I was on the fence regarding if it was dumb or not, being only an occasional hobbyist with the Rupes 15 and the Flex 3401 on the shelf already; after using it for a few hours, I have no regrets in buying and trying the G21, that`s for sure.

Now the Duetto I picked up last holiday season, that`s turning out to be a dumb purchase...have used it for about 15 minutes so far. With a Rupes Mini, LHR15, Flex 3401 and now G21 I just can`t think of a situation where I might find it useful. Oops.

G21 & LHR15 Mk2 side by side:

Thanks so much for all that info. It truly helps me out a lot!

11. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used my gg6 for a couple years and finally bought the Rupes 21. I’ll always have a special bond with the gg6 as my first da but the rupes is on a whole nother level

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

13. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So after quite a few paint corrections with my MT 300. The vibration and noise is killing me. I really would like to try out the Rupes line since they are know to be smooth. I also think I would like the forced rotation. Anyone have experience with the Rupes Mille?

What type of pads/size do you use with it? How does it perform on curved body panels/lines? Any other information is appreciated as always.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Maxshine

I bought a couple of them and like it as much as the Rupes.

$168.00 with free shipping.

Very nice large throw.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

16. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Likes Maxreed241, sudsmobile liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345