autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2018 honda accord micro marring

Hi guys,

i recently bought a 2018 black honda accord. There was a small light scratch so I used a DA polisher with v36/orange hex logic pad then finished it with a v38/whith hex logic pad.

It left some subtle micro marring so i’ve tried multiple passes with v38 using white and black pads.

After some research on this forum i decided to use sonax perfict finish with a white pad to get rid of the micro marring on this soft paint.

Does that sound like a good plan to you guys and should i be worried about burning through the clear with the amount of times ive tried to get out the micro marring already?

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Edit: Here's your micro-marring picture - MP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 honda accord micro marring

Sounds like a good plan. Don’t worry about burn through unless you have been polishing on one spot (or edge) for an extended time. Both v36 and v38 are mild polishes so your micro marring may be coming from the pad. Black Japanese paint is difficult to get perfect so don’t beat yourself up too much.

Post Thanks / Like

2018 honda accord micro marring

Both 36 and 38 are totally useless and really do nothing. I threw them away and will never get anything by chemical guys. With that said, perfect finish might be a bit aggressive. I’d get some 3800 menzerna or meg’s 205. And do yourself a favor - don’t but hexlogic pads, they are junk

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I’ll try the 205 first since I can get it locally. What pad should I use. Unfortunately I only have hex logic orange white and black.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll second the vote for the Menzerna 3800 or the Sonax polish and a mild polishing pad for work on your Honda.

I was able to fully correct a 2012 Honda fit using only white Lake Country Flat pads and Blackfire SRC Finishing polish which is similar to 3800. I initially tried Meguiars Ultimate Polish which is similar to the 205, but I found the Blackfire product to finish down much nicer than Meguiars.

The real thing to remember with this paint is to go as gentle as possible with your pad and products and only go more aggressive if you aren't getting results. The Honda paint is shockingly soft and will correct very easily.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

The two terms I type about the most on this forum are,

1. Abrasive Technology
    2. The word touch, as in how you touch your cars paint and what you use to touch your car's paint

Here's a poll I started and looks like I'm wrong, most people think the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint is technique.

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

I'm going to stick with abrasive technology. Why? It's the first thing that touches the paint. Then the pad, then the tool and the person (the technique), is the furthest removed away from the paint. But what do I know?

Then there's this thread where people are talking about cleaner/waxes and the thing about a jeweling wax that separates it from most cleaner/waxes, or AIOs or cleaner/sealants, (whatever term that suits your fancy to describe a product that cleans, polishes and seals), and again.... it's all about the abrasive technology.

Pinnacle Jeweling Wax

If you want to make polishing the paint on your Honda 100% absolutely Bubba-Proof, spend the money and purchase a bottle of Wolfgang's Total Swirl Remover.

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 - All new formula fuses Menzerna and Wolfgang abrasive technology! Works on ceramic clear coat, nano abrasive

It's not cheap, it's top notch abrasive technology. Most black Honda paint is soft and prone to micro-marring so I wouldn't use Meguiar's M205. Anything from Menzerna is top notch for soft paints.

As for pads, get either Lake Country or Buff and Shine foam FLAT pads. KISS = Keep is Simple Simon and flat pads reduce unwanted variables to the paint polishing process and are the fastest to clean on the fly.

And... I have owned a Honda with the Nighthawk Black Pearl paint system.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike: Did you ever try using just Wolfgang's Finishing Glaze on your Pilot? While I'm confident the Swirl Remover is a great product, I'm thinking he might not even need to go that aggressive. I was able to get these results very easily on a gray Honda with a finishing polish (Blackfire SRC) and a white LC Flat pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Mike: Did you ever try using just Wolfgang's Finishing Glaze on your Pilot? While I'm confident the Swirl Remover is a great product, I'm thinking he might not even need to go that aggressive. I was able to get these results very easily on a gray Honda with a finishing polish (Blackfire SRC) and a white LC Flat pad.

Wow that came out great with a simply finishing polish!? Man that came out great thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Celabe View Post
    Wow that came out great with a simply finishing polish!? Man that came out great thanks for sharing

Yes, I used Blackfire's SRC Finishing Polish which is no longer made, but I understand it was very similar be similar to Menzerna 3800/3500 or Wolfgang Finishing Glaze . I corrected out the entire car in one step and went straight to the LSP. The paint was very soft and easy to correct.

Many people when faced with a car in the same condition as the Fit in the picture might think they'd need to go straight to a heavy compound and start correcting away. However, I always take Mike's philosophy of trying the least aggressive method first seriously, and as you can see in the picture, it works. I had compounds and more aggressive pads available, but never touched them since the test spots showed finishing polishes and mediums pads would do the trick. It was only a matter of choosing the polish with the best results.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I ended up using sonax perfect finish with a hex logic black pad. My results were amazing!! I can’t say enough about this product when using it on black honda paint. This is my first time attempting any kind of paint correction so I was a little scared to try this on my own, but I’m glad I did. It took all the micro marring out and left the finish like glass!

11. Likes MattPersman liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast