autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coatings

I see AG shows a “Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating” and then a 4oz bottle of “Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating”

What’s the difference? Says the “paint coating” is V2 so I’m guessing is a newer improved version maybe?

Or is the Surface coating a kind of jack of all coatings, and the Paint coating, paint only? If so, does that mean the paint coating is better when it comes to paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

2013 Ford F150 EcoBoost FX4 Supercrew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coatings

You are spot on. The paint coating has a v2 and is supposed to be better and formulated specificity for paint. The all surface coating is more of a general all around for paint, glass, trim.

Having used both I didn’t see much difference. But I have never got the durability from these spray bottle coatings. I have had the best results with bottle/syringe versions.

3. Thanks Grifffx4 thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, Grifffx4 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you're right, and like Troy also says, one is paint specific, the other is more all purpose.

And although I don't think I had the V2 version, I bought the Diamond Paint Coating when it first hit the market, and I had similar findings, that it fell quite short in the longevity department, no better IMO than a Sealant, or good Wax.

It's very rare I find fault with any AGO product, but this was one I felt just couldn't play with the big boys.

5. Thanks Grifffx4 thanked for this post
    Likes Grifffx4 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So IYO what coating is best for black paint? My wife has a new black Explorer I wanna try a coating on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grifffx4 View Post
    So IYO what coating is best for black paint? My wife has a new black Explorer I wanna try a coating on.

If the paint is pure black I would use CQUK. I have had it on my wife car for over 3 years.

If the paint is metallic I would look at CQ original. I had it on the same car for just over 2 years before I polished it off and went with CQUK when it came out. And honestly after the deacon the CQ was still going strong and didn’t need to come off.

I have used Gloss Coat and it is super easy to use. But it hasn’t been as nice as the CarPro stuff.

8. Thanks Grifffx4 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it’s pure black. Any water spot issues? I’ve been reading that coatings have issues with this.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it’s pure black. Any water spot issues? I’ve been reading that coatings have issues with this.

They absolutely can have water spot issues. The new version of CQUK is supposed to be better about that.

I found the key is to get a full coats on as thick as possible let the car “bake” in the sun and then top it with Reload waiting as long as possible. The baking in the sun is somewhere in the directions I have read and somewhat simulates the IR cure lamp that some pro coatings call for. I also let the coating cure as long as possible before getting it wet or topping it with Reload. For the first month or so I make sure and use Reload as a drying aid or a top up to help get the full cure on the coating.

11. Thanks Grifffx4 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The water spot issues, is this spots after washing or after rain? Kinda discouraging because I thought the whole point of coatings was not to have such an issue. And it seems the spots are not easily removed from what I read. Am I misunderstanding this issue?

Post Thanks / Like

The water spot issues, is this spots after washing or after rain? Kinda discouraging because I thought the whole point of coatings was not to have such an issue. And it seems the spots are not easily removed from what I read. Am I misunderstanding this issue?

I have not had any issues while washing as I make sure a thoroughly dry the vehicle.

The times I had had some water spotting was when I had a dusty car it rain and then the sun came out and baked the dirty water spots in place over a few days or a week.

The point of a coating IMO is to have a longer last more durable base layer of protection. Because of the tight beading water spotting is one thing that coatings are prone to. Try and look at a coating as a longer life sealant. I tend to call them a super sealant (at least in my mind).

If you regularly wash and maintain the vehicle you shouldn’t have any problems. But you can park under a sprinkler and expect nothing to happen. Using something like Reload even once a month will really help and also I have found it to really extend the life of the coating as it takes the daily abuse.

I have even use Opti car wax over coatings since it is so easy to use. But it does cover the coatings water and dirt shedding ability until it wears away.

14. Thanks Grifffx4 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So it’s basically my misunderstanding the “issue” some are having it sounds like. I understand that spots will happen especially in fine mist situations, opposite of a running hose when the water can collect together and run off. I was under the impression that the spotting was etching into the finish and you could only remove by correction. If it a simple quick detail spray and wipe that’s cool with me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast