autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guess everyone makes mistakes?

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    My largest mistake happened on a black Jeep Wrangler. I finished compounding and polishing the whole Jeep, but I a spot I missed with the swirl finder light. I grabbed my G21 and forgot to clean the pad before it touched the paint and a particle of pollen was on the face of the pad and it left a ton of DA micro scratches!Guess everyone makes mistakes?Guess everyone makes mistakes?Guess everyone makes mistakes? Grabbed a new pad and went to work all over again. Never forget to clean the pad BEFORE using it! Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    LOL.That is a common mistake I made before learning the importance of pad cleaning in between polishing. I don't have a compressor, but I use my metro vac to blow my microfiber pads to clean them!

I remember doing a evo 10 last edition brand new and I was trying to put Kamikaze Myabi Coating on the side pillars. After doing the paint, I proceeed to wipe the matt grey finish side pillars and the first wipe causes a line scratched. Think a shard of harden coating was poured from the bottle to my sued, causing damage when applying. I paid for the damage of rewrapping one of the pillars but the owner and the owner still remains a customer to this day though. Phew!

2. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one on a black Camaro last year. Spent a ton of time correcting it and coating it. He was out of town and asked if I could deliver it back to his place. No problem but it had to stay an extra day due to another job I was finishing up. So I had pulled the car outside to look it over then pulled it on my other bay and closed the door with no issues.

Well later on that day I went to open up the garage door and a bracket on the door caught the rear bumper and put a nice gouge in it. Only thing I can think of is that the car being a manual transmission must not have had the ebrake on and rolled close enough to the door after closing it.

Client was cool and told me to just get it fixed and all is good. So I got it fixed and took it on the chin lol.

It happens if you do this long enough!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

4. Likes DETAILROOKIE, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post
    I had one on a black Camaro last year. Spent a ton of time correcting it and coating it. He was out of town and asked if I could deliver it back to his place. No problem but it had to stay an extra day due to another job I was finishing up. So I had pulled the car outside to look it over then pulled it on my other bay and closed the door with no issues.

Well later on that day I went to open up the garage door and a bracket on the door caught the rear bumper and put a nice gouge in it. Only thing I can think of is that the car being a manual transmission must not have had the ebrake on and rolled close enough to the door after closing it.

Client was cool and told me to just get it fixed and all is good. So I got it fixed and took it on the chin lol.

It happens if you do this long enough!
    Damn Justin that is some crazy story! How was your intial reaction when the bracket on the door caught the rear bumper? I remember when I screwed up on the pillar, I started getting light headed and about to faint lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Sam View Post
    Please don't jump to conclusions or read the whole thread when it was up before you speak. The thread was about asking for guidance on a cargo van and wanted to know how much to charge. The thread became polluted after prices got involved. If you are going to bring in past situations to these threads, don't even bother posting because this is just a post stating that everyone makes mistakes and I have made mistakes as well, like my post.
    How many times are you going to address me before I get a chance to reply? Once? Twice? How many times are you going to suggest that people can only "speak" when they've met a long list of requirements set forth by you? How many times are you going to suggest that somebody not even bother posting unless they're here to slap you on the back and tell you what a great detailer you are?

I will post whenever I want without any regard to your feelings on the subject. If you don't want replies that you can't control, don't post the thread. Pretty simple. Like somebody said, this was a blatant call out thread made to make you look as if you're the best detailer and everybody else is a hack. It's really the same formula used in many of your threads. Look at me, look at me. If this was just a thread started to exemplify your past mistakes, there was no reason to bring up a detail done by another forum member. Frankly, you have no idea what went on in that transaction, that was between the customer and the other detailer. What you're operating on is called hearsay.

7. Thanks Billy Baldone thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn Justin that is some crazy story! How was your intial reaction when the bracket on the door caught the rear bumper? I remember when I screwed up on the pillar, I started getting light headed and about to faint lol!
    Just like you I was sick! Also said some 4 letter words very loudly!

Luckily my neighbor is also my painter and body guy. So a few days after the incident it was all fixed. Pretty much broke even after paying for the mishap and material for the actual job itself. Oh well.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

I have polished through the clear with the Rupes 3" removing a dog claw scratch from a new van. I was removing the scratch for free.
    I have stained glass with water spot remover by forgetting to wipe a spot off.
    I have discolored leather with 91% IPA.
    I have stained trim with wheel cleaner.
    I have cut under the clear while removing bumper stickers.
    I have gotten locked out of a customer car while it was running. I blame the car.
    I have compounded through the clear a few times.
    I have compounded through single stage a couple of times. I was set up.
    I have scrubbed through the finish on leather.
    I have burned a cloth seat cover scrubbing too hard/long with rotary.
    I used tire dressing instead of mink on seats one time.
    OOPS, I guess he asked for 1 mistake didn't he?
    Nathan Doering CD-SV

10. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess everyone makes mistakes?

I also said that the owner had seconds thought of the price and wanted the price to be shaved down quite a lot from the initial agreement so I let the work go. Soon after, someone was questioning me about how a price of couple hundred dollars became only half of that. How the heck should I know lol!
    If you’re going to try and drag my name into this conversation, then you should at least make sure to get your story straight, because your initial so called quote wasn’t for “a couple hundred dollars” it was for “$400 dollars”, and the only reason I called you out was because it somehow ended up with the customer wanting to pay you only $150 dollars which is alot less than half of your supposed initial quote.

And don’t try to deny it because I’m sure there’s plenty of people who will never forget your famous “$400 work van special”

There’s so much cringe in this thread...

12. Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully I've only had one boo boo and it was on a vehicle that I measured and warned the owner about. On average it came in at just over 3 mils total thickness. I did my very best with just a cleaner wax to get it spruced up and overall it came out great. There was however a small patch on one of the fenders/rockers that went through, then up on the a pillar too. Not big marks but noticable.

Client was fine and while I was still nervous about moving forward, I kept going and lucked out. After that I swore even with customer sign-off that if I'm ever not 100% confident or comfortable, I will not do it and will pass on the job.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

My worst one was trying to get a little too far into the space between the rear of my cab and the truck bed. Chattered the metal part of my PC against the front edge of the bed panel.

Pow! 3 little spots down to the primer.

A trip to my buddy at the body shop and 50 bucks was the remedy.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I will admit to my worst eff up keeping in mind that I'm relatively new to the business and haven't had a chance to screw much up yet. It was late, I was tired, we were trying to get the h out of there. I was finished with the car except for a machine applied coat of sealant. I grabbed the bottle of sealant and away I went. It's supposed to set up for 20-30 before you buff it off. After 20 minutes, I went to buff it off and it was not really what you'd call slick. It felt smooth but grabby. I went to check the bottle for instructions to make sure I applied it correctly. It had applied CG V.R.P. to the entire vehicle. Wash, rinse, dry, apply sealant. Probably cost me an hour.

Oh, and of course, I used that 20-30 minutes to pack up the trailer except for a couple buffing towels. Unload the pressure washer, unroll the hose, make a new cannon of soap, hook everything up. Yeah, that was awesome.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast