autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can this be fixed with a GG6?

I am wondering if this can be fixed with a GG6? It's from a runaway shopping cart in a parking lot which slid down the side of the car. Sorry the car is wet in the pictures but you get the idea.

Can this be fixed with a GG6?-img_20180402_090917-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can this be fixed with a GG6?

If you plan on polishing anyway, a magic eraser might work well. Follow that with a polish and good to go. If not, is the scratch deep? as it can you feel it with you fingernail pretty well? if so, may be too deep... other professionals might know more there... did you try some good APC and a microfiber yet? just a soft rub to see what happens?... good luck... i'd try hitting it with a 3 or 4 inch pad for sure if you have one...

Mike Phillips

Probably, can't tell from the picture if what I'm seeing is the primer under the basecoat?

If it were me, I would rub the stained area by HAND first as this is a raised body line. Play it safe.

Then after removing the stain or paint transfer then shmoo it over with the Griot's.

4. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll give it a try and see what happens as soon as the garage warms up...

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of vehicle is this?

I'd start with a *very* thorough decon of the area. Tar remover, iron remover, heavy wash with a good detergent, clay it, and a prep spray wipedown so you can really see what you're dealing with. Lots of scratches on white paint appear like what you have in the pic, but sometimes can just be stubborn contamination. You said it's from a shopping cart, it may even just be color transfer from the cart itself.

Once you've determined they're actually scratches, Mike's advice is a good first step. For me, I'd go with a medium cut polish on a MF hand applicator first. Something like Jescar medium polish, Meg's #83, Griot's correcting cream etc. Only after you determine these are not enough would I then step up in product cut. Jescar compound would be my product of choice here, but M101 or 105, Menzerna 400, Griot's FAST correcting cream, or Carpro Clearcut would be the way to go here. If compound doesn't get it, you'd be looking at wetsanding but only after thorough paint measurements have been taken and only if it's within your comfort zone.

Being that the impact appears to have occurred on the peak of the body line, I don't think the machine really buys you anything in terms of speed or convenience. Elbow grease will be the way to go.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com