autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanding discs for headlights

Edit: kept searching sand paper, which explains why I couldn't find them. Searching sanding discs revealed them. Sanding discs for headlightsSanding discs for headlightsSanding discs for headlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Re: Sanding discs for headlights

You want

Mirka Abralon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    You want

Mirka Abralon

What grit would you recommend to start with, and what's the coarsest grit you would use? It appears the Mirka Abralon goes from 180-3000.

4. Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see Abralon makes a kit of 3" disks starting w/ 500 and working it's way to 4000.

I got the McKees 37 headlight 'kit'. Very unimpressed w/ it, esp. for the cost but then I think most of the M37
    line is overpriced relative to other products but I will try the N914 when I get a chance (and maybe Hydro Blue
    but I already have Carpro Hydro2)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DTruck View Post
    What grit would you recommend to start with, and what's the coarsest grit you would use? It appears the Mirka Abralon goes from 180-3000.
    I *think* the meguiars heavy duty kit came with 1k and 2k discs, two of each.

I didn’t get a before picture of the headlight, because I always forget, but I snapped a picture after sanding each step and finally polishing them out

I’ll get a picture of one her sisters headlights later, because they’re pretty much in the exact same shape.

Reading through various threads about headlight restoration though, it seems pretty dependent on how tough the set of headlights in particular are.

Post Thanks / Like

The Megs Heavy Duty kit comes with:
    1-1000 grit disc
    1-3000 grit disc
    Plastx
    Headlight coating
    Polishing pal
    Wool pad for drill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 🤙🏻

I did her headlights back in October, so I really had no idea anymore lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Here was a good description of how to use an older Meguiar's kit, of course I think half the sanding products mentioned aren't made anymore, so you have to use the Mirka Abralon as Mike suggested above. I also like to use the 5000 grit discs sold here and skip the wool pad.

Professional Headlight & Spot Repair Kit

10. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done a ton of experimenting with sanding discs for headlight restoration and this is the best method I've found.

Step 1-Mirka abralon 3" 1000 grit discs. They have a soft foam interface, are very smooth, and are easy to clean once they start getting clogged with residue. They won't cut as long as trizact discs but the 1000 grit abralon disc is a great option and extremely economical.

Step 2- Trizact 3" 1500 grit discs. Once you remove the majority of the faded and oxidized layers on a headlight, these trizact 1500 grit discs are seriously impressive at remove the 1000 grit sanding marks and in some cases (depending on the headlights) you can get away with using just 1 disc for both headlights.

Step 3-Trizact 3" 3000 grit discs. These discs are incredible. I have had 1 single disc last for 4 headlights. It's incredibly easy to polish out the 3000 grit sanding marks from this point.

I use all 3 discs damp even though the 1000 and 1500 can be used dry.

12. Likes seanktm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    I've done a ton of experimenting with sanding discs for headlight restoration and this is the best method I've found.

Step 1-Mirka abralon 3" 1000 grit discs. They have a soft foam interface, are very smooth, and are easy to clean once they start getting clogged with residue. They won't cut as long as trizact discs but the 1000 grit abralon disc is a great option and extremely economical.

Step 2- Trizact 3" 1500 grit discs. Once you remove the majority of the faded and oxidized layers on a headlight, these trizact 1500 grit discs are seriously impressive at remove the 1000 grit sanding marks and in some cases (depending on the headlights) you can get away with using just 1 disc for both headlights.

Step 3-Trizact 3" 3000 grit discs. These discs are incredible. I have had 1 single disc last for 4 headlights. It's incredibly easy to polish out the 3000 grit sanding marks from this point.

I use all 3 discs damp even though the 1000 and 1500 can be used dry.
    Thanks for that info, I appreciate it.

The most inconvenient part of looking for discs seems to be the big packs of them (makes sense for someone who does a lot of sanding) which are less than ideal for someone like me just looking to restore the headlights on 3-4 cars.

The Mirka 3” assortment seems like it would leave me with a ton I wouldn’t use, and then the other options are 20 and 50 packs. At least in the 3” size anyway, the 6” discs seem to come in 10 packs.

I figure if I’m gonna do 3-4 cars, and I only need 1 disc per headlight (potentially less, I may have been too tough on the ones I used before) that would mean I’d only need 6-8 discs of each grit.

Maybe it would be worth picking up regular paper and just doing it by hand?

I do hate doin stuff by hand, but I also dislike buying much more than I really need Sanding discs for headlights

14. Likes mwoywod liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast