autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question regarding the “no tools required” 3M HL Restoration Kit

A few questions, maybe someone can help advise..

Does this kit come with the same exact sanding discs as the more expensive kit that includes the backing plate for the drill? [six 500 Grit discs, 4 800 Grit discs, This kit seems to include two 3000 Grit discs as opposed to only 1 in the other kits]?

What’s with the drill recommendation? I don’t want to use a drill, I want to use my DA polisher w/3” backing plate. Is that alright? Or is there much greater results with using a drill?

Is it completely necessary to do the 1st two sanding steps [500/800] dry? What happens if you were to wetsand with a spray bottle like on the 3000 grit step? Does wetsanding on the 500/800 step make it ineffective?

If you’ve used this kit, I’d appreciate your insight. Thanks.

3M Headlight Restoration Kit, headlight scratch remover, plastic restoration kit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question regarding the “no tools required” 3M HL Restoration Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    A few questions, maybe someone can help advise..

Does this kit come with the same exact sanding discs as the more expensive kit that includes the backing plate for the drill? [six 500 Grit discs, 4 800 Grit discs, This kit seems to include two 3000 Grit discs as opposed to only 1 in the other kits]?

What’s with the drill recommendation? I don’t want to use a drill, I want to use my DA polisher w/3” backing plate. Is that alright? Or is there much greater results with using a drill?

Is it completely necessary to do the 1st two sanding steps [500/800] dry? What happens if you were to wetsand with a spray bottle like on the 3000 grit step? Does wetsanding on the 500/800 step make it ineffective?

If you’ve used this kit, I’d appreciate your insight. Thanks.

3M Headlight Restoration Kit, headlight scratch remover, plastic restoration kit
    So I use these, and u can you these by hand or your DA, it's just geared to those with no tools at home. I've only used the disks wet and not dry, I've heard people say at least the first step is best when done dry to remove the most defects but like you I use a spray bottle

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    So I use these, and u can you these by hand or your DA, it's just geared to those with no tools at home. I've only used the disks wet and not dry, I've heard people say at least the first step is best when done dry to remove the most defects but like you I use a spray bottle

Thanks Cruz. And yea, I want to get this kit mainly because my cheapo couldn’t help but spot the better deal, because I don’t need a drill backing plate + this kit comes with an extra 3000 grit disc + costs le$$.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Thanks Cruz. And yea, I want to get this kit mainly because my cheapo couldn’t help but spot the better deal, because I don’t need a drill backing plate + this kit comes with an extra 3000 grit disc + costs le$$.
    Same reason why I get them...lol

6. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the kit with the backing plate for a drill. I found I got better results with a sanding block and sandpaper by hand. It was easier to evenly level down the headlights. Maybe i just have bad hand control, but the drill made things more difficult IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_1981 View Post
    I have the kit with the backing plate for a drill. I found I got better results with a sanding block and sandpaper by hand. It was easier to evenly level down the headlights. Maybe i just have bad hand control, but the drill made things more difficult IMO
    Have you ever tried hooking them up to a DA polisher? I haven’t tried via drill, but DA polisher has worked fine for me with other sanding discs.

Post Thanks / Like

I polish headlights with a DA but I still prefer sanding by hand. Back to my old painting days I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the kit as well and have used it both wet and dry. I have not tried them on a DA, not a lot of real estate to cover by hand so prefer that method with water. The compound that comes with it is OK, I found better results with M105 / M205 on my 7424XP with a 3" backing plate w 3" orange and white pads. Followed this up with Collinite 845. Did my daughter's 2007 Elantra headlights, now she get's people flashing their high beams at her because the lenses are super clear. Very happy with the results, been over 6+ months now. FYI they were very dull / oxidized prior, now they look almost as good as new.

11. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered it while it was on sale + 25% off.

Post Thanks / Like

I had really good results with the 3M kit. It was the drill kit that also uses the 500, 800 and 3000 grit discs. I just followed the instructions exactly, dry sanding for the first 2 steps, then wet sanding the last step. I used a corded drill so that I wouldn't have to worry about inconsistent speed, or running out of battery part way through. I probably used the drill for an hour to do both lights. The only thing I did differently was used CarPro DLux instead of the sealant 3M provides in hopes of some better durability. It's been about 8 months so far and they're holding up great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast