autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Clean Pads After Using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

I have used the Wolfgang DGPS and I love the product. It does stay in the pad after many hot water rinses but I have had success with McKee's 37 polishing pad cleaner. It is a great solvent that removes the product and leaves a clean pad. Make sure that you wear a mask when you use it. The spray can be pretty strong.

2. Likes fightnews liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    OPC undiluted can break down WGDGPS some BUT the majority of the sealant will be removed if you wrap a towel around the pad and squeeze the pad as hard as you can. Flip to a clean spot on the towel and continue doing this until the majority of WGDGPS is removed.

This method of transferring the sealant from the pad onto a towel will remove up to 90% of the sealant.

Put it on the rack to dry and either throw away the towel or wash it.

If you don't believe it's as easy as this, next time you apply a sealant just try wrapping a white paper towel around the pad and squeeze. You'll see just how much of the sealant transfers onto the paper towel.
    Is it true that something like 3D towel kleen or the mckees pad cleaner I use that is quite strong can not break down wgdgps? I thought these products were supposed to do that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I have used the Wolfgang DGPS and I love the product. It does stay in the pad after many hot water rinses but I have had success with McKee's 37 polishing pad cleaner. It is a great solvent that removes the product and leaves a clean pad. Make sure that you wear a mask when you use it. The spray can be pretty strong.
    Just a few minutes ago I tried that McKee’s polishing pad cleaner and I agree. It’s not a bad smell, just very strong. It removed Menzerna 3-in-1 from an orange pad very easily. Maybe I’ll try that product next time with WDGPS.
    Bruno Soares

5. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Will try using a towel to clean the pad next time I apply. Will also dedicate the pad to WGDGPS.
    I have a couple pads I just put in a plastic bag and only use with whatever wax. I don't even clean them I just put them in an air tight bag. Theoretically you should be able to take it out months later and just start using it. It should be the same as the wax in the bottle.

I say theoretically because although I do have the saturated pads in a bag I've yet to go back and actually use them a second time. I'm hoping they will work though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Is it true that something like 3D towel kleen or the mckees pad cleaner I use that is quite strong can not break down wgdgps? I thought these products were supposed to do that?
    No, these products CAN break down a sealant to some extent. But because sealants aren't water soluble so the sealant can't be effectively rinsed out of pads. During the rinsing process some of the sealant WILL be removed with the pad cleaner BUT it would take numerous applications to remove even close to as much of the sealant as the towel method.

Post Thanks / Like

Smells just like LA Awesome from the $ store.

9. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Wolfgang DGPS and I love the product.... Make sure that you wear a mask when you use it. The spray can be pretty strong.
    Same goes for Towel Kleen. When used as a detergent in the washing machine, it's fine and you can't smell or feel anything.

But once you dilute it, and start spraying it from a bottle, it becomes atomized in the air around you and is quite harsh. If you're using Towel Kleen this way, make sure it's in a well-ventilated area ie. not your small laundry room with the door closed. Ask me how I know...

11. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What I do is use pad cleaner and soak it down really good.

Or in a bucket with pad cleaner and let it soak awhile.

Then either wring it out in the bucket with the pad cleaner a lot pushing out the product, get most of it.

Then take it and put it in the sink and use DAWN and warm water and repeat.

Then I take off like 3 paper towels, leave them connected and roll the pad up into them with the foam side down. rolling it very tight and then ring it out really well while rolled up in the towels.

Then I just let it dry.

My process gets out like 90% of it so it's all good.

13. Thanks obguam thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since someone else revived this thread I will share my process for cleaning sealant out of pads.

I put the pad in a small container (I have some round plastic food containers that are a perfect fit for 5.5" pads) and soak them in Tide Free & Gentle laundry detergent. I squish the pad to get it to absorb the detergent, refill to the top of the pad, and leave it for a day or so. Then I just rinse the pad and the sealant is gone. I have tried using the left over liquid for a 2nd pad, but it has lost its 'juice' after the first one.

I got this method from a client who uses the Tide Free product to degrease parts for his brass cars. He had a few different size aluminum tubs built, and uses them to soak parts for a week or more. The parts come out looking perfect, with the grease removed from every nook and cranny. The best part is there is no sign of the grease in the leftover liquid.

It works great as a hand cleaner too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12