autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Clean Pads After Using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Gentlemen,

Wolfgang DGPS just keeps oozing out like a cream. I'm using Wolfgang Pad Werks Pad Cleaner & Extender but it's a nightmare to remove the DGPS. There has to be a better way. Any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Clean Pads After Using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Impossible. I just don’t try anymore and I put the pad in a zip lock bag and use it again next time. I once spent more than an hour trying and only thing I got was a kitchen sink that was beading water like crazy.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes bsw, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AIO's are similar. Dawn actually does a decent job of getting out the bulk of the sealant. The last time I tried Citri-solv (similar to Citrol). That worked real well. I don't know if it was just good on this product (I think it was the new Black fire AIO). I'll have to try it a few more times to get a better idea. I also know I've read about guys using mineral spirits with good cleaning results.

My take on the whole pad cleaner argument is you could use the above-mentioned methods (or others) and just do a final rinse out with pad cleaner and be ok. No basis for this other than it makes sense to me.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    AIO's are similar. Dawn actually does a decent job of getting out the bulk of the sealant. The last time I tried Citri-solv (similar to Citrol). That worked real well. I don't know if it was just good on this product (I think it was the new Black fire AIO). I'll have to try it a few more times to get a better idea. I also know I've read about guys using mineral spirits with good cleaning results.

My take on the whole pad cleaner argument is you could use the above-mentioned methods (or others) and just do a final rinse out with pad cleaner and be ok. No basis for this other than it makes sense to me.
    Never used WGDGPS (Yet, I have a bottle I ordered from AG), but I have noticed AIO's are more difficult to clean from pads.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

OPC undiluted can break down WGDGPS some BUT the majority of the sealant will be removed if you wrap a towel around the pad and squeeze the pad as hard as you can. Flip to a clean spot on the towel and continue doing this until the majority of WGDGPS is removed.

This method of transferring the sealant from the pad onto a towel will remove up to 90% of the sealant.

Put it on the rack to dry and either throw away the towel or wash it.

If you don't believe it's as easy as this, next time you apply a sealant just try wrapping a white paper towel around the pad and squeeze. You'll see just how much of the sealant transfers onto the paper towel.

8. Thanks tmdals0213, Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another good idea by mwoywod.

Notice the pattern here. A two step process where you concentrate on getting most of the product out in the first step and then your knockout cleaner in step two. That's what I've found to work best.

If you buy into the pad cleaner claims, make that a quick third step.

It sounds like a lot. But when you get it down, it's not that bad. It sure beats trying to clean with only one of the various pad cleaners.

Oh, when I mentioned the Citra-Solv above, I used that as a second step after Dawn.

10. Thanks tmdals0213 thanked for this post
    Likes tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I will share that I have a black 4" buff and shine flat pad that just goes back in the bag each time. If I use the sealant correctly the pad hardly has any on it when I finish.

I use the polishing pal Pinnacle Polishin? Pal for the accuracy around edges and areas the pad on the machine can't reach. It also goes back in the bag when done.

Instead of wringing out the sealant I push the pads against the paint and do not add more towards the end of the application. A 16oz bottle has done more than 12 jobs and still has about 2oz left.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found the same thing with Collinite 845. I use 3D Towel Kleen, kneed as much as I can out of the pad, repeat once or twice more, then dry. I give u after that. It's a finishing pad, so I just reserve it for future 845 applications.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. Will try using a towel to clean the pad next time I apply. Will also dedicate the pad to WGDGPS.

Post Thanks / Like

While I've never used WGDGPS, I do use FK1000p which is a bear to remove from pads. I've had good luck also using the towel method and then cleaning the pad with Awesome Orange Degreaser from the Dollar Store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast