autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Essence cure time?

Wondering if anyone knows the cure time on Essence? I used it this weekend to buff out my bumper. I let it cure forabout an hour. I then went right to G technique Liquid crystal. It did not bond right at all. It left that haze that I've been getting familiar with. It happens sometimes with hybrid waxes. It's like a thin oily film that won't buff off. You wouldn't even notice it unless you were looking at it with a scangrip headlamp or similar at the right angle.

It seems like it has something to do with bonding. You can tell it's a film. Because the direction of the lines changes depending on the direction you buff. This is the 4th product combo I've seen this with and I would love to know what it is. I had 0 problems putting the gtechniq liquid crystal on top of polish angel famous so I don't understand why I'm having the problem putting it on top of essence. Makes no sense

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essence cure time?

IMO it's likely more a compatibility issue. Essence works fine for me with other CarPro Products and with McKee's but I have found that out through using it over time with great results. Cure time for me isn't more than an hour or so.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

The recommended time after applyied essence is 3 hours. It's not the curing but to let the solvents to evaporate. If done sooner a eraser wipe down is necessary. That are to be on safe side and might work in less time and maybe not.

This is the recommendation to polishing with it.

Spread evenly across the surface to be polished at speed 1
    Increase speed to 2-3 and polish essence until it becomes clear
    After essence becomes clear increase speed to 4 and slower handmovements continue to work the resin for 2-3 minutes using the polishing action to induce heat into the paintwork.
    Buff off excess residue and move to next section
    Clean pad often

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

This is the recommendation to polishing with it.

Spread evenly across the surface to be polished at speed 1
    Increase speed to 2-3 and polish essence until it becomes clear
    After essence becomes clear increase speed to 4 and slower handmovements continue to work the resin for 2-3 minutes using the polishing action to induce heat into the paintwork.
    Buff off excess residue and move to next section
    Clean pad often
    Is that what they’re saying nowadays? That sounds insane... I remember when I 1st used it I followed the long working time after watching a youtube video tutorial and it was almost impossible to wipe off.

Then everyone changed the advice to “you must work quik with Essence, that’s part of the beauty of it”! ... Even though I always remembered the part where it needs to heat up in order to fully reach its potential, people would still advise to “work quik”

And now this? Speed 1 to spread? Then polish on speed 2 until it becomes clear, and after that ramp it up to speed 4 and continue polishing for another 3min? That’s crazy.Essence cure time? And who’s supposed to wipe it off? Superman? Lol.

When it comes to Essence, I’m through with the ever changing official advice. IME I’m better off listening to what the polisher/paint/and results tell me. That usually results in not overthinking it and simply treating it like a normL polish, after all IMO this polish is nothing special.

Apply to a new pad and begin polishing on speed 4.5. Work just like I would any other polish = and what do you know, good results without the fuss.Essence cure time?

5. Likes TTQ B4U, Mike Moore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=fightnews;1562957]Wondering if anyone knows the cure time on Essence? I used it this weekend to buff out my bumper. I let it cure forabout an hour. I then went right to G technique Liquid crystal. It did not bond right at all. It left that haze that I've been getting familiar with. It happens sometimes with hybrid waxes. It's like a thin oily film that won't buff off. You wouldn't even notice it unless you were looking at it with a scangrip headlamp or similar at the right angle.

It seems like it has something to do with bonding. You can tell it's a film. Because the direction of the lines changes depending on the direction you buff. This is the 4th product combo I've seen this with and I would love to know what it is. I had 0 problems putting the gtechniq liquid crystal on top of polish angel famous so I don't understand why I'm having the problem putting it on top of essence. Makes no sense[/QUOTE

Last time i used it, I didn’t wait long enough i guess and CQ didn’t bond at all ( i waited a little over an hour i think). And yes, wipe off wasn’t super smooth and easy if worked as directed. Quick couple of passes and yes, it wipes of with no effort. But i don’t really see the value then, 205 does much better job at lower cost. Donno, guess i need to give it another try

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

See when I first used essence i didn't recall any mention of cure time when it was first released
    I used essence and right after I did opto gloss coat(old 2 year formula).. no issues..got about 2 years out of the verticle panels and about 3 years out of the horizonal panels

Post Thanks / Like

I also read from other detailers on autopia that Gtechniq and essence is a no go..so I never tried it myself

9. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the first two times I used it I worked it for a long time like a normal polish, and man, removing it was like trying to remove honey with a dry towel... ;(

Last 2 times I used it, I used a light polishing pad (green B&S one) and spread the product on speed 2 to cover the pannel. Then did 2 quick passes at speed 3 and then wiped off. Wiped away like a charm.

I did not let any cure time before coating with McKee's 37. Once I was done applying essence to the whole car (last one was a Mustang GT), I put all my polishing equipment away and all that and then applied the coating. So let's say it took me 1 hour to apply essence, and maybe 10 to 15 minutes before starting to coat, essence had 1h15 to "cure" on the first pannel. Coating is a little faster to apply than essence, so the last panel I coated would probably have had 15 to 30 mins less cure time. Did not seem to create any problem. Last car I did like that I did not get a call from customer saying there was a problem.

I might let a little bit more time pass in the future now that I know your supposed to let it cure, maybe keep a task or two to do between the essence and coating steps. But I think the faster you go from one to the other, the less chance dust has to settle on the paint... so I am not a big fan of waiting 3 hours especially after having compounded the car and having compound dust in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Is that what they’re saying nowadays? That sounds insane... I remember when I 1st used it I followed the long working time after watching a youtube video tutorial and it was almost impossible to wipe off.......after all IMO this polish is nothing special. Apply to a new pad and begin polishing on speed 4.5. Work just like I would any other polish = and what do you know, good results without the fuss.Essence cure time?
    ^^ Agree 100%. I put it on with either a Green or White B&S pad and work it at 4.5 to 5 on my Flex. Key is to not let things get too hot work it so it doesn't begin to heat up against the paint as that's what makes it a real PIA to remove and if you were to continue doing so, sure, there wouldn't be much if any left on the paint but what would left on your pad would be caked up on there. Otherwise, work it normally and medium speeds, create a greatly refined finish and it will wipe off with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Last 2 times I used it, I used a light polishing pad (green B&S one) and spread the product on speed 2 to cover the pannel. Then did 2 quick passes at speed 3 and then wiped off. Wiped away like a charm.
    Bingo!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Is that what they’re saying nowadays? That sounds insane... I remember when I 1st used it I followed the long working time after watching a youtube video tutorial and it was almost impossible to wipe off.

Then everyone changed the advice to “you must work quik with Essence, that’s part of the beauty of it”! ... Even though I always remembered the part where it needs to heat up in order to fully reach its potential, people would still advise to “work quik”

And now this? Speed 1 to spread? Then polish on speed 2 until it becomes clear, and after that ramp it up to speed 4 and continue polishing for another 3min? That’s crazy.Essence cure time? And who’s supposed to wipe it off? Superman? Lol.

When it comes to Essence, I’m through with the ever changing official advice. IME I’m better off listening to what the polisher/paint/and results tell me. That usually results in not overthinking it and simply treating it like a normL polish, after all IMO this polish is nothing special.

Apply to a new pad and begin polishing on speed 4.5. Work just like I would any other polish = and what do you know, good results without the fuss.Essence cure time?

Carpro US and Carpro UK has different recommendation to how to apply it. Then you have your own experience with it and how it's works for you. You went to 3min directly but would it be a PIA to remove it then lower the time to the indused heat part to get it to work for you. That is depending on the environment you work in and the paint and the armspeed and what else. I think it's the recommendation in the environment you are going to apply a carpro cquartz coating in. Since it's a primer made for carpro coatings but can be used with carpros other protections as well. I look at it as a primer not an ordinary polish. If I where to use a carpro polish I would use carpro reflect. And if I where to apply a carpro classic or CQUK I would get essence primer to prime the paint before the coating. The essence where first to be used with carpro glosspad to get the highest possible gloss. So if the glosspad do not get the correction I want or the paint has imbedded grime in it. I would at least use carpro reflect to polish the paint first with the suited cut on the pad. Of course you can use which other polish you like but have in mind the essence is made to be followed by reflect and the polishing oils left from that. So if I where to use a polish outside carpro and it's has heavy of polishing oils in it. I would do a eraser wipe down before useing the essence primer. If you start polishing with the speed that they say you are activating the resins in it. Then what is it that saying that the abrasive is polishing the resins away at the same time as work the abrasive. The abrasive part is in the beginning and is the kind of them in reflect but less of them. When they are broken down as they are when essence clears up. You are activating the resins and the sio2 when speeding up the polisher and slower the armspeed to induse heat to it. Reflects abrasive has a short working time to broke down as the newer compound clearcut has too. Then wipe it off after each section polished. And wait for the solvents to evaporate fully. If you are listening to carpro US it's enough with the time it's take you to polishing the car. And then start apply the coating in the direction you starting to apply essence. The carpro UK has a recommendation to wait at least 3 hours after applyied essence before applying the coating. How long it takes you to polish the car you are working on is over 3 hours from you started you would be okey to follow with the coating. Then from this you have people that have been useing it with different combos that has worked great for them and most with a more coarse pad they have got a great cut. Then you have been adjusted it to your situation and what worked for you. But I would use it as intended with the glosspad first and get it to work with essence in my environment. Then go from that to test out different approaches to see what I can make it work with. If I would feel that it's only a ordinary polish I would use another finishing polish to get the finish I want. Most be cause of the cost of essence. This is how I think about it and you have all the right to your opinion and use it as it works best for you. And if essence works as a primer to other coatings it's great. But there has been coatings that seems to not be working with it and that's the chance you take.

13. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast