autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

ISO take ceramic off?

I coated an airplane last week. putting final stickers on using iso mix to get stickers to stick. When I wiped the area of the sticker the ceramic cake right off. I have never seen this happen before. The ceramic had cured for 7 days. The coating became very cloudy in the area. Easy to tell it took the coating off. Anyone else seen this? Not gonna bash any coating company’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ISO take ceramic off?

Very odd. Ceramic coatings are pretty much imprevious to chemicals. What product did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoo View Post
    I coated an airplane last week. putting final stickers on using iso mix to get stickers to stick. When I wiped the area of the sticker the ceramic cake right off. I have never seen this happen before. The ceramic had cured for 7 days. The coating became very cloudy in the area. Easy to tell it took the coating off. Anyone else seen this? Not gonna bash any coating company’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is not "company bashing" or product bashing if the issue really happened that's ridiculous. If we have a negative iissue or experience with a product are we not supposed to mention it? Do u think thats fair?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    It is not "company bashing" or product bashing if the issue really happened that's ridiculous. If we have a negative iissue or experience with a product are we not supposed to mention it? Do u think thats fair?
    Element119/SystemX. We have been trying them because the product is able to be sprayed on. When doing large planes spraying is a must for time reasons. Anyone know of any other ceramics that can be sprayed on?

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely the ceramic coating hasn't fully cured, yet. I'm not familiar with the product you've used, but with the ones I know, 7 days is the minimum time required to achieve full hardness (without the use of IR heating lamps). This means that with low ambient temperatures and high humidity (like what we have usually during this time of the year on the northern hemisphere), it might actually take longer, like probably up to two weeks or more, until the coating cures fully - and 7 days just won't cut it.

Also, if the surface wasn't prepped properly, the coating might have had trouble bonding to it, and was just laying over it - really just like a coat, not like a coating. Then when you wiped over it, you possibly helped it fully detach from the surface. Just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

It is very possible this stuff is not a ceramic coating but rather a ceramic sealant. Something similar to CarPro reload.

I have never heard of that product but if coatings could be sprayed, I think the major players (CarPro, Optimum, Meguiar's, etc) would have some in their product lines.

The only coating that I know of that uses a sprayer is McKee's 37 paint coating. The sprayer is used to spray into the applicator. I am not a fan of this way of doing it, but it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a bonding issue. If the rest of the surface is ok, maybe some kind of fuel/oil that was not cleaned well prior to coating.
    If it was the product don't you think it would peel on the other areas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    It is very possible this stuff is not a ceramic coating but rather a ceramic sealant. Something similar to CarPro reload.

I have never heard of that product but if coatings could be sprayed, I think the major players (CarPro, Optimum, Meguiar's, etc) would have some in their product lines.

The only coating that I know of that uses a sprayer is McKee's 37 paint coating. The sprayer is used to spray into the applicator. I am not a fan of this way of doing it, but it works.
    I frequently use an air brush to apply coatings to wheels and to complex trim pieces.

What is the process you are using for spray application? Was the surface rough like the coating was partially curing before it hit the paint?

Are you sure the coating is gone? Could it be that the surface was contaminated with some sort of film while it was curing? Are you getting the same hazy appearance with just water?
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/