autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating real life swirl/scratch resistance

Wondering what everyone’s experience with swirls, marking, and light scratches on their coated cars?

im asking because I just got my car coated with Gtechniq Serum Ultra followed by two coats of EXO as topcoats.
    I thought this professionally only coating would be tops for protection and help prevent light swirls, etc.

However I was doing a little quick detailing of the car with CarPro Ech2o/reload mixture using one eagles edgeless to wipe down, and a second, clean eagle edgeless to do final buff. Nothing crazy there.

I noticed however in one section of the hood I had inadvertently created a very light swirl scratch with the light buff.
    I was pretty shocked and kinda upset it had happened.

This detailing was done with pretty new, recently washed towels using recommended towel cleaning methods.
    The buff wasn’t done with any significant force. I was genuinely surprised I had just created a light swirl.

I did not expect that my new expensive ceramic coating would be susceptible to such marking done with what I thought was pretty careful procedure.

I wanted to know if other people have experienced similar swirls or light scratchs with their coatings using good technique?

Obviously I am aware that a coating isn’t completely immune to marring, but I wouldn’t have expected it to happen so easily with what I thought was careful technique.

Anything related to the Gtechniq Crystal serum Ultra or EXO?

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating real life swirl/scratch resistance

How long did the coating cure?

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprised.

EXO, though it has great hydrophobic properties, it tends to be on the soft side.

Unfortunately, you will probably get more minor swirls over time as you wash and dry the car.

Of course, the more careful you are the less the marring, but anytime you touch the car you risk inducing some swirls or marring. Any little grain of dirt trapped in your wash or dry media can cause that.

Post Thanks / Like

The Crystal Serum Ultra is extremely hard and scratch resistant. As mentioned the EXO not as much. You can polish the scratches out with a fine polish and reapply EXO to that area.

Just curious, you said recently washed not just washed. Do you use your towels more than once without washing them, and where do you store your towels?
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

My experience has been that they aren't any different than clear coat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

6. Likes BudgetPlan1, zmcgovern45 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea I used nanoskin mega trend on my wife’s Tahoe that’s supposed to be super hard. Put swirls on it in the first month even though I’m super careful. I put swirls in it with a waffle weave drying towel with virtually no pressure. I no longer believe the hype although I’ll continue to use coatings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wade_660 View Post
    Yea I used nanoskin mega trend on my wife’s Tahoe that’s supposed to be super hard. Put swirls on it in the first month even though I’m super careful. I put swirls in it with a waffle weave drying towel with virtually no pressure. I no longer believe the hype although I’ll continue to use coatings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here, I like coatings but don't buy that I'm gaining much protection from hardness.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So the towels were new eagle edgeless towels. Washed before use using micro restore.
    Stored in a new garage cabinet that hasn’t had anything else on the shelf aside from these new towels.

So I am hoping nothing was in the towel from storage or wash.

I was curious about the EXO topcoat being softer than the Crystal serum ultra, because gtechniq markets the Ultra coating as extremely durable. But the EXO topcoat being softer. Seems to negate the point of the coating from a scratch resistance standpoint.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, the car was sitting at the detailer forat least 48-72 hours covered and indoor after the coating was applied. It had been probably at least a solid week prior to when I did my light detailing.

What is the total time it takes to cure to its final, ultimate hardness?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you did everything properly with the towels and used good quality towels. The towels were not your problem.

Gtechniq Ultra is harder and more durable than EXO. The issue with these harder, more durable coatings is that sometimes they are not as hydrophobic as other less durable ones. I think there’s a trade off there. Hence the custom of using a topper coating with more hydrophobic properties that are sometimes softer and more scratch sensitive.

12. Thanks Audios S6 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast