autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating real life swirl/scratch resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Coatings were hyped up as maintenance free initially then low maintenance but now seem like the highest maintenance lsp ever since the history of detailing. I see regression in that regard not progression. Toppers for coating? Toppers for the toppers? Protection for the protection for the protection?

I see the wax and sealant crowd as the smart guys recently.
    *nods*

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Since I coated our cars, less washing with fewer maint products involved
    Less washing = prolonged periods of time for contaminants to bond to the surface. This could be the #1 reason pretty much everyone with a coating winds up with paint that fails the baggie test, even though they claim the coating is still going strong. And then they say just do a “decon wash” which isn’t able to turn rough paint back to smooth as glass because only clay decontamination can truly do that.

Another thing I’ve never understood is why some people say they use toppers to prolong the life of a coating. If the layer of coating has lost some/all of its hydrophobic abilities and you use a topper to “revive” or “extend” its life, wouldn’t you simply be dealing with the topper which could last an eternity if you were to apply it after every wash? So when is the coating officially dead? Once you decide to stop using the topper?

2. Likes Ronin47, Newtons4thLaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating real life swirl/scratch resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I've been feeling the same way, but guz still talks into trying more coatings all the time..lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    lol and like budget mentions it is all in fun trying various coatings out to see which is indeed an all around performer.

Gives other members the ability to choose a coating based on feedback to aid in the research process.

It’s important to understand the benefits and limitations of a coating. Life is easier once that realization is made. They are not for everyone.

But I’ll take a simple wash with no reapplication of a wax or sealant ~3 months down the road.

As you know it’s been raining here as of late and all the cars that are coated look clean. Unlike in the past when I used waxes or sealants.

By the way did you try out that Gloss Coat I sent you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    lol and like budget mentions it is all in fun trying various coatings out to see which is indeed an all around performer.

Gives other members the ability to choose a coating based on feedback to aid in the research process.

It’s important to understand the benefits and limitations of a coating. Life is easier once that realization is made. They are not for everyone.

But I’ll take a simple wash with no reapplication of a wax or sealant ~3 months down the road.

As you know it’s been raining here as of late and all the cars that are coated look clean. Unlike in the past when I used waxes or sealants.

By the way did you try out that Gloss Coat I sent you?
    I need to fix the path and then it's going on that for a 50/50 with McKees

Im going to redo the Prius with a 50/50 of fk1000p and polish angel or collinite

5. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    The coating isn’t as hard as the clear and clear swirls easily so that should clear confusion. If simple cleaner waxes remove coatings that should speak loads. I have coated and uncoated waxed or sealed cars and both marr or swirl equally. Coatings were hyped up as maintenance free initially then low maintenance but now seem like the highest maintenance lsp ever since the history of detailing. I see regression in that regard not progression. Toppers for coating? Toppers for the toppers? Protection for the protection for the protection?

I see the wax and sealant crowd as the smart guys recently.
    Like Cruz I'm heading this way. Can't speak for others but in my environment it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Car doesn't stay any cleaner in the winter and the coating requires as much maintenance as the paint. Pretty hard to find the value of a coating in my environment.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

7. Likes Ronin47, Newtons4thLaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Like Cruz I'm heading this way. Can't speak for others but in my environment it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Car doesn't stay any cleaner in the winter and the coating requires as much maintenance as the paint. Pretty hard to find the value of a coating in my environment.
    I'm trying, I think I'll make my final decision after this next round of testing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    *nods*

Less washing = prolonged periods of time for contaminants to bond to the surface.
    I can live with that. End of my day, car looks better for longer w less effort. End of your day might be different.

Whether I can feel it with hand in baggie very rarely matters to me. Everybody has different levels of OCD with this stuff.

10. Likes The Guz, BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating real life swirl/scratch resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    the topper which could last an eternity if you were to apply it after every wash
    couldn't have said it better ^^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    That hasn't been my experience at all. I found CQUK as hard as nails, much better protection, and resistance to marring-swirling than any wax, or sealant I ever used.
    So how is there such a difference between experiences with coatings?
    tough as nails for some, more delicate than clearcoat to others?

I presume not all are created equal, different top coats properties, different level of skill in applying, etc.

But for those like me who had an experienced professional apply only to come back and see immediately light scratches and marring under appropriate careful technique....meh.

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings do work and provide better scratch resistance because of the ease of hand wash. Most of my clients are returning customers to get washes after major paint correction and ceramic coating application. About all of the cars that I wash are swirl free/mar free. Keep in mind that it takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours to wash a car. Either some of you guys are inccorectly washing the car or just have a notion that after application, ceramic coating will be bullet proof and require less washes. Key in maintaining your paint is to use the properties of the ceramic coating and wash the car every week or two (before contaminants build up). I myself for each client wash rinse the car 3 times before I even mitt the vehicle. Ceramic coating does an excellent job in shedding dirt/grime from the vehicle, and provide excellent hydrophobic properties which allow me to dry the car with a leaf blower. I drive a Lexus RCF with very soft paint and I have absolutely no swirls/marring/scratches on the paint, even using a scan grip to check for defects. Some of my clients are on this forum and can attest how clean my car and their cars are.

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They are no more scratch resistant then your "scratch resistant" clear coats if anything less. You can still scratch them and induce marring with poor washing habits just like any other clear coat. They are not bomb proof they are in essence glass and glass scratches pretty easily. That's how I see it. It's just adding a few more microns of "glass" on top of your clear.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast