autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing single stage with a DA?

Hey guys-

I've got a vehicle I'm thinking about selling and I'd like to give it a good cleanup and polish before I take try to sell it.

I'm fairly certain it's painted with a single stage, as I've picked up some color on hand use buffing pads in the past.

I don't own a DA yet, but I am seriously considering picking one up. I've gone too long without one.

Is a DA a bad idea on single stage paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing single stage with a DA?

No, absolutely no difference, and in fact I'd go as far to say that improvements as such as paint color and hue will get a drastic improvement with dazzling and pop.

As with 2-stage clearcoat paint, the same processes, guidelines and precautions exist.

As with clearcoats, and any time using any abrasive polishes, compounds, cleaner waxes, etc, you are removing minute amounts of paint. With clearcoats, you're just not seeing it on Pads-Towels is all.

With any processes, and with polishing machines, the main principle will be to use as least an aggressive method and products to get the desired end results.

3. Likes ScottH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent.. Thanks..

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post

Is a DA a bad idea on single stage paint?

It's the only way to fly... or buff...

Check out this article here,

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

The tool comes with a 6" backing plate so get these pads, I'd recommend getting 6 if you can afford it as I like to say,

More pads is better

As you work around a car your pads become wet or saturated with product and they stop working like they did when they were dry and clean.

(can I get a witness?)

Then get a bottle of BLACKFIRE One Step and after washing and claying the paint, buzz around the car with this one step cleaner/wax and the car will look like brand new.

LOTS of info in this single thread including a video that shows a multiple step process but the process it shows for using a compound or polish is the same exact way you use these types of tools with cleaner/waxes.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Hope that helps...

What kind of car is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    It's the only way to fly... or buff...

What kind of car is it?

I appreciate all the info.

Well you said it, it’s the only way to fly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just like to add, I see you've posted only a handful of times, yet have been a member here for a good many years.

This is such a fantsatic forum, ALL the people here are very kind, considerate, helpful, and don't ever feel you cannot stop in, ask for help or advice on anything detailing related.

I'm very happy and feel very fortunate that I am a member here, many have helped me learn much more than I thought I originally knew, and have greatly advanced my level of wisdom, and knowledge. And I feel fortunate on the rare occasion that I can chime in and perhaps help members such as yourself!

I say many thanks to all here, folks like Mike Phillips who chimed in for you, thank you Mike, and all you other wonderful folks!

8. Likes rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I'd just like to add, I see you've posted only a handful of times, yet have been a member here for a good many years.
    I’ve been meaning to get into seriously detailing my vehicles for years, and just never have.

Now is the time though, I’m going to make it happen.

I think I’m going to start with a Horror Freight unit and a Lake Country backing plate and some pads from here and give it a shot.

I’ve got a boat I need to get some oxidation off of as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Cool airplane.... I'm guessing that's yours and that's you in it?

I recently used a Harbor Freight DA while teaching some guys how to use the Griot's Garage 6" DA (same types of tools), and using the exact same pads and backing plates I had a hard time maintaining pad rotation with the HF polisher and zero problem maintaining pad rotation with the Griot's unit.

I was actually surprised because so many people have told me it had plenty of power. I guess the context would be "experience" and I have a little of that...

Check out your Avatar

11. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike-

Yes, that is my bird. Considering changing to something a little different, so it may be for sale soon. I need to wash it up when it gets a little warmer and since I'm considering a rotary tool, figured I'd find out if I can use it on my bird.

I was just looking at the avatar. I couldn't remember putting it there.. This post now makes sense!