autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Understanding customers and their needs.

I get a ton of emails for detailing but there are some clients that go mia in the conversation.

So this is how the conversation went.

George (Client) : What is the difference in price of the coatings and how long do they last?
    Sam (Me): Hi George, what kind of vehicle do you drive? Do you take it to the car wash? Do you know anything about ceramic coatings?
    George : Mercedes 2010 GLK black and yes I take it to the car wash and yes, I know a little bit about ceramic coatings
    Sam : Do you care about the swirls and scratches on the paint before application? Ceramic coatings should last anywhere from 2+. Other brands can last 3+ years. Any particular reason you were looking for a ceramic coating?
    George: I would like to remove scratches first
    Sam: Do you want to come by so I can see the car and give you a quote? You can directly text me at #######

The client goes mia after the conversation and it has been 2 days since response. I guess the client is just busy or lost interest? Did I say something wrong?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Understanding customers and their needs.

There's nothing wrong with what you said, except that it was very passive. You let the customer slip away with very little intention to close the customer on what he was very interested in initially. Email him back and give him the information he requested. Offer again to come out to him to see it and solve his problem. Dont just say ,"uhh, text me please" instead write "I can come out to you at your convenience to get you coated and solve your problems. I can come now if needed"

The problem with the passive approach is that those hot leads are not being handled correctly. In your email contact form, make a spot to leave a phone number so you can call these people who are leaving you hanging with no obvious objections

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like every tire kicker that uses Yelp.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with hustler. It's too many questions to start with and at the end it almost sounds like you're trying to talk him out of it. He probably was talking to somebody else at the same time that closed him immediately or like you said he's just busy. Sir, I'd love to get your Mercedes coated for you. My prices start at zzz. Please give me a call at xxx-xxx-xxxx and I'll come out and give you a quote on all my services.

You close the deal first, even if it's just a meeting. Worry about the individual services after you've established a rapport with the customer.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's how I normally handle it

George (Client) : What is the difference in price of the coatings and how long do they last?

Sir, the price difference in coatings is xxx, that incldues blah blah blah. The coating you choose will depend on it's longevity. Some important things to know are that the largest factor in longevity of your coating is how you take car of it. I would suggest you no longer use blah blah blah to wash it and do blah blah blah.

More along those lines. So I give them what they want but include all the info they need to know as well that comes along with having a coating installed and maintaned.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Hustler, too many questions. If they ask for a coating, say yes and answer their questions. You can ask your questions in person so you can show the customer what you are talking about; swirls, scratches, faded trim, etc.... one thing I've learned in sales is let the customer talk and create a need the customer didn't even know they had.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The thing i do every time is simply tell them what i do. The second thing i do is offer to meet them to see the vehicle and discuss with them exactly what they want, at their location of choice...at their home, work etc.

And, like detailrookie said, let them do most of the talking and listen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Sam View Post
    I get a ton of emails for detailing but there are some clients that go mia in the conversation.

So this is how the conversation went.

Sam (Me): Hi George, what kind of vehicle do you drive? Do you take it to the car wash? Do you know anything about ceramic coatings?
    George : Mercedes 2010 GLK black and yes I take it to the car wash and yes, I know a little bit about ceramic coatings
    Sam : Do you care about the swirls and scratches on the paint before application? Ceramic coatings should last anywhere from 2+. Other brands can last 3+ years. Any particular reason you were looking for a ceramic coating?
    George: I would like to remove scratches first
    Sam: Do you want to come by so I can see the car and give you a quote? You can directly text me at #######

The client goes mia after the conversation and it has been 2 days since response. I guess the client is just busy or lost interest? Did I say something wrong?
    Do you know anything about coatings? Guy got offended I bet, you're kinda talking to him like he's an idiot IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    I agree with Hustler, too many questions. If they ask for a coating, say yes and answer their questions. You can ask your questions in person so you can show the customer what you are talking about; swirls, scratches, faded trim, etc.... one thing I've learned in sales is let the customer talk and create a need the customer didn't even know they had.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I agree, you didn't even answer the guys original question you just started firing off your own questions.

Post Thanks / Like

The customer wanted answers not questions. Keep it short, keep it courteous, get a phone number, make the appointment. Your email should have your phone number attached along with business name.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast