autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Chemicals on "coated" brake rotors

I just got some new brake rotors and they say they are coated to help rust and corrosion. Question is, can i use a tar remover, wheel cleaner, apc on them or will that generally take away from that coating. I know this is a car part question, but if anyone has ever ran into this or have any advice on what to use, i am not putting too much into this "coating" belief but id like to to try and preserve it if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemicals on "coated" brake rotors

There are many factors that can be
    attributed to the (eventual) breaking
    down of the Rotor coating.

Using the least aggressive cleaning
    products can, no doubt, prolong its
    expected service life.

Keep in mind that:
    •If nothing else, the brake pads will
    create a “burn-path” in the coating.
    -That burn-path will then be just as
    susceptible to the same type of
    ‘damages’ that uncoated rotors face.

•Just as another “layer-of-protection”:
    -You might want to investigate the
    benefits of using the following product:
    Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no such thing as a "permanent" rotor coating that could withstand braking operation that I'm aware of, except on the non-friction surfaces. When rotor manufacturers refer to corrosion resistant coatings, those coatings are typically only applied to the non-friction surfaces.

I would clean the friction surface with acetone, lacquer thinner, brake cleaner, or something similar prior to installation of the brake pads.

Post Thanks / Like

My question is "why bother"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    My question is "why bother"?
    I don’t think he’s going to try and specifically clean his brake rotors, but more just wondering if he can clean his wheels with the typical wheel cleaners that he mentioned without them somehow negatively affecting his new brake components.

Post Thanks / Like

The manufacturer may be referring to the greasy coating that is applied to prevent surface rust caused by moisture while the rotors are waiting to be installed by someone. Typically, it is advised to clean rotors with dishsoap and water before installation. Be sure to clean any greasy coating where the pads will make contact with the rotor.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I don’t think he’s going to try and specifically clean his brake rotors, but more just wondering if he can clean his wheels with the typical wheel cleaners that he mentioned without them somehow negatively affecting his new brake components.
    Yes, sorry for not being more clear but this is what i am asking. I am skeptical anyway about this "coating" but yes it is applied to the non friction areas and I am looking to know if there are any "safe" cleaners i should use, or if there are some cleaners that i should stay away from while cleaning my wheel area. I am bound to get it on my rotors so if i have to buy new wheel cleaner anyway i might as well look for one that wont break down this "coating" after one use!

Post Thanks / Like

Ferritic-nitro carburizing is a form of heat treat that greatly increases corrosion resistance. This is not on the metal, it is in the metal. GM has been using this for several years.

If your rotors have some sort of paint finish, it is not FNC.

If the paint can survive the heat of brakes, I would suspect it to be very resistant to most chemicals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01AUDI View Post
    I just got some new brake rotors and they say they are coated to help rust and corrosion. Question is, can i use a tar remover, wheel cleaner, apc on them or will that generally take away from that coating. I know this is a car part question, but if anyone has ever ran into this or have any advice on what to use, i am not putting too much into this "coating" belief but id like to to try and preserve it if possible.
    That's just to protect them during shipping and while sitting on a store shelf. Most instructions that come with them say to remove it with brake cleaner before installing. You have nothing to worry about going forward. Use the same products you always have.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

this is from their website.. maybe it helps, maybe it is BS. There wasn't much about it which leads me to believe its marketing but thought I'd bring it up in case i am wrong..

"Premium Wagner® Brake rotors are engineered for maximum performance with an E-Shield® protective electro-coating applied to all non-braking surfaces. This black-colored coating prevents corrosion, makes removal for service fast and simple, and is visually attractive for open spoke wheels. A turned, smooth surface finish aids in the proper seating of the friction and requires less time for rotor “break-in".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast