autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towels and pads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Towels and pads

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann View Post
    Another newby question that I’m sure is out there but I’m going to ask and apologize for the repetitiveness. What’s the best way to care for buffer pads and microfiber towels?? I bought some pad cleaner but I don’t want to buy a $200 machine for them. Is there a way t just soak them and clean them? What’s the best way for towels?? I want my microfibers to stay nice and plush and not get knotted up and nasty. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But a dedicated microfiber detergent for the towels. Use the pad cleaner to hand wash pads in the sink Asap when you are done using them. Never let any products dry on the floam pads thats how they get ruined, Hopefully you bought the pad cleaner in spray form. The powder form is not what you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    TBO cleaning polish & compound off pads can be done with plain water from the sink. Seriously, if you simply do it within the same day of using the pads they’ll come completely clean with just running water.

The only time you need any sort of cleaner for them is if you choose to be lazy and let them sit overnight or longer or you’ve got some type of AIO or sealant or wax on them. And when it comes to those pads good luck getting those completely off. 9 times out of 10 you’ll never get them fully back to how they were because they’ll be stained the color of the AIO. The only AIO that I’m aware of that doesn’t stain pads is Meguiars D166.

I never leave pads soaking in cleaner overnight or anything like that... I don’t throw them in the washing machine either.
    I soak my pads in cleaner immediately after using them. The at the end I use the pinnacle foam pad cleaner spray and hot water. I get them looking like brand new every time no matter what I use. Even the white ones (I dont know why they make them in this color). I used to ruin them or discolor them before I got my system down.

The only exception so far is the bf black ice wax that won't come out at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m telling you, all you need is plain running water.. No unnecessary buckets full of APC, no rejuvenating powders, no harsh degreasers, you don’t even need high pressure or even a brush. Just running water from the sink and your fingers. I’ve been doing it this way ever since I 1st. started and pads always come perfectly clean. [as long as you clean them the same day and don’t let them sit overnight or longer]

If you don’t believe me, maybe you’ll believe this guy...

YouTube

YouTube

4. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Likes Ronin47 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’m telling you, all you need is plain running water.. No unnecessary buckets full of APC, no rejuvenating powders, no harsh degreasers, you don’t even need high pressure or even a brush. Just running water from the sink and your fingers. I’ve been doing it this way ever since I 1st. started and pads always come perfectly clean. [as long as you clean them the same day and don’t let them sit overnight or longer]

If you don’t believe me, maybe you’ll believe this guy...

YouTube

YouTube
    Eldorado
    What do i do about pads that have a sat a couple of weeks? Newby mistake because I thought I needed towelkleen so i ordered it and waited on it (showed up tonight) thanks in advance brother. You have no clue how helpful you have been!!

6. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Towels and pads

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann View Post
    Eldorado
    What do i do about pads that have a sat a couple of weeks? Newby mistake because I thought I needed towelkleen so i ordered it and waited on it (showed up tonight) thanks in advance brother. You have no clue how helpful you have been!!

Thanks!Towels and pads

For pads that have sat and caked I use LA’s Totally Awesome straight undiluted. Just spray a liberal amount onto the dry caked pad and massage into the pad and let it dwell for 5-10min. Next set the pad on top of a Grit Guard over the grass and hit it with your hose nozzle on “jet” setting. Pads come perfectly clean in seconds and no brushing is needed. Flip the pad over and press it down on the Grit Guard to wring out the excess water. [btw you’re going to want to do all this outside or at least in a ventilated garage]

If you want to dry your pads fast just put them on your polisher and set it to max speed and hold it horizontally into an empty wash bucket and turn it on for a few seconds. You’ll see 90% of the water spin out of it. Have a waffle weave layed out on the side and press the pad into it while on the polisher, then lay flat [face up] to finish drying. They’ll be completely dry in no time. That’s how I do it when I’ve let pads sit.

I’ve used dedicated pad cleaners, but I’ve found the LATA works even better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12