autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Body shop installed scratches... Pic

I'm going to say something just cuz my car is not a Porsche doesn't mean you can slap it around. What if I didn't have all these tools to fix it what I have to just live with it

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd definitely say something.

2 weeks back, some A$$ bag scraped my Ram on the drivers side rear. Small dent, scraped paint, tail light, and bumper. Hit and run.

Anyway, I had the owner of the body shop walk around the truck with me as I pointed out microscopic imperfections that I know are there on the truck. His facial expressions told me that he might think I'm a bit nuts.

But he now knows that I will be intently examining my truck after the work is complete.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

It's frustrating, but it could have been from anything. Even another customer or a delivery person could have done it. I'd be inclined to think that with the quality work you said that they did on the bumper that it was from a third party source. Either way, I'm glad it's coming out. These little things like this bug me as well. But, unfortunately they happen. I just found a nasty rock chip on my roof when I washed it on Monday. Touched it up but still made me cringe. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    You can see they are high up on the panel. I know my car scratches easy because of the color but come on. Should I even bother saying anything to the shop they will probably just deny it anyway. Plus there's nothing they can do for me.

What could have caused that? It looks intentional doesn't it?
    IMO/IME I wouldn't even bother saying anything or lose my time going back to them and pointing it out. It could have been from someone just walking by and scuffed it without realizing they did it. You surely will not gain anything in this situation or come out ahead in this situation. They most likely would pull out the so called detailer they have on hand that will just wreck havoc on that area. Their "detailer" will come out with a rotary polisher, a large wool pad that probably laying face down on the ground, and a bottle of rocks compound you most likely never heard of. Then will proceed to make you wish you never brought the vehicle in over a minor scuff as far as I can tell.

The main thing is the work asked from them is complete and done right, paint matches with adjacent panels, and all panel seams are lined up and true.

Just pull out the machines and compound it out yourself.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

when we got the van back from the body shop after the rear bumper was replaced i immediately looked at the gaps/seams and noticed white bondo and other contamination stuck in there along with crappy touch up paint job they did along the edge (the guy act like he didn't notice it, yeah right). there were also holograms all over and the paint that didn't match very well. luckily i brought all this up while we were doing a walk around, and they said they will re-paint the bumper at anytime (i asked for a small bottle of the paint so i can use it for touch-up if needed later down the road) if we aren't happy and provide a rental car which we should of done in the first place but my Dad was impatient and wanted the car back since it was delayed a week already due to a part that having to be ordered . they offered to wash it since it was covered in so much dust, but i repeatedly told them no and that i would do it myself. i can only imagine how much more damage they would of inflicted if they did...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    IMO/IME I wouldn't even bother saying anything or lose my time going back to them and pointing it out. It could have been from someone just walking by and scuffed it without realizing they did it. You surely will not gain anything in this situation or come out ahead in this situation. They most likely would pull out the so called detailer they have on hand that will just wreck havoc on that area. Their "detailer" will come out with a rotary polisher, a large wool pad that probably laying face down on the ground, and a bottle of rocks compound you most likely never heard of. Then will proceed to make you wish you never brought the vehicle in over a minor scuff as far as I can tell.

The main thing is the work asked from them is complete and done right, paint matches with adjacent panels, and all panel seams are lined up and true.

Just pull out the machines and compound it out yourself.
    I can totally respect this point Mike. And yes, us Geeks would be better off doing a minor correction ourselves. Lord knows.

My point was that I'd alert the shop owner regardless. If I were in his shoes, and ran a decent shop, I'd want to be alerted to any customer complaints so as to correct them in the future.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having been in the business as a former manager of two different body shops, I would always prefer that a customer point this type of thing out to me. Fortunately for me, both of my bosses did not tolerate this type of carelessness, and neither did I. Employees who did not treat customers vehicles correctly soon became former employees. When the unfortunate did happen, the detailers in both shops were outstanding, and we would correct the issue right then and there, whenever possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Body shops seems clueless about stuff like this....

Had a friend get her car back from work being done and they put her keys ON THE ROOF when giving it back to her

Also my sister had the body shop wet sand a scratch for her a few years back because she was too impatient to wait until I could take a look at it... instead of a 5inch scratch she ended up with a 7inch diameter hazed circle where they burned the clear coat.
    This is one of those things that blows my mind. As much time and effort as it takes a shop to prep and respray something (maybe I'm wrong and some places knock the work out quick and dirty) and then sand it, and polish it back up to something acceptable... how can they NOT know about this stuff?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12