autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ford Mustang dealer detailed - my heart is broken

A buddy of mine just picked up Ford Mustang '16 California Edition. Absolutely stunning car but my God dealer trashed the paint - swirls, holograms, buffer trails all over the car...I almost cried when I saw it. Anyhow, I showed him all the defects and tried to convince him that this needs to be fixed. And I think I did. Now we need to figure out our work schedules.

Anyhow, have you guys had experience with Mustangs? How do you find the paint - hard or easy to correct? does it finish well? what was you tool/product/pad of choice? This particular car doesn't have deep scratches and swirling and I'd say moderate but I don't think polish only will get me the level of correction I'm after. Most like will require compounding. Anyway, you feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. Thanks streetrodder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ford Mustang dealer detailed - my heart is broken

I have detailed a few Mustang GTs. The annoying part is the tail lights. The shape make them hard to work on. As far as paint hardness, I did not notice anything special. It's not super soft nor super hard. There are lots of curves and bends on many of the panels so long throw DAs might be more of a challenge to use on some of the sections.

Can't really think of anything that stands out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I have detailed a few Mustang GTs. The annoying part is the tail lights. The shape make them hard to work on. As far as paint hardness, I did not notice anything special. It's not super soft nor super hard. There are lots of curves and bends on many of the panels so long throw DAs might be more of a challenge to use on some of the sections.

Can't really think of anything that stands out.
    Thank you for the feedback. My 3401 should get through those curves with ease hopefully. Did you find glossy plastic trims being challenging to finish down?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Another question: is HD speed capable of removing buffer trails? just curios in case my buddy won't volunteer for full paint correction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshisa View Post
    A buddy of mine just picked up Ford Mustang '16 California Edition. Absolutely stunning car but my God dealer trashed the paint - swirls, holograms, buffer trails all over the car...I almost cried when I saw it. Anyhow, I showed him all the defects and tried to convince him that this needs to be fixed. And I think I did. Now we need to figure out our work schedules.

Anyhow, have you guys had experience with Mustangs? How do you find the paint - hard or easy to correct? does it finish well? what was you tool/product/pad of choice? This particular car doesn't have deep scratches and swirling and I'd say moderate but I don't think polish only will get me the level of correction I'm after. Most like will require compounding. Anyway, you feedback is greatly appreciated.
    It might not be all the dealers fault if it's a 2016 it's potentially been on the road 3 years now assuming it was available towards the end of 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, for sure. Perhaps it was "detailed" by someone else, but it definitely was done and obviously whoever did it either didn't know what he was doing or didn't care at all. or both. compound residue all over the car

Post Thanks / Like

Another question: is HD speed capable of removing buffer trails? just curios in case my buddy won't volunteer for full paint correction
    Maybe or maybe not...

I've found speed to create ton of gloss and shine, but doesn't seem to remove all of the swirls.
    Understand---I've only used speed with a white or finishing pad. Maybe if one bumps up a pad to a polishing pad, might get the job done.

I'm sure others will chime in shortly with suggestions for just a tad more cut...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

I've used HD Speed on white and orange pads and it is great at glossing up paint and removing light swirls, but it struggles with deeper scratches and swirls. It also fills in and hides some swirls and scratches so it can be hard to gauge what it is actually removing and what it is hiding.

I recommend doing a test spot to see how the paint reacts.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Same here- I've used HD with orange pads and it works nicely. Depending how bad the car is will determine if it gets everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    I've used HD Speed on white and orange pads and it is great at glossing up paint and removing light swirls, but it struggles with deeper scratches and swirls. It also fills in and hides some swirls and scratches so it can be hard to gauge what it is actually removing and what it is hiding.

I recommend doing a test spot to see how the paint reacts.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon