autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

ANOTHER coating question

Ok, car show season approacheth. I'm thinking about trying a coating on my black 09 GT500 this year. Every spring I detail it with Wolfgang swirl remover & finishing glaze, then protect it with DGPS. I coated the wife's Caddy last year with CSL, & my daily driver Fusion with McKee's. I'm not necessarily looking for the 3-5 year life of CSL. I'm more interested in the best possible finish & shine. (and resistance to wash induced swirls) The car never sees rain, just shows & cruise-ins. I understand that most of the shine comes from the polishing stage, so does anyone have an opinion that there's a difference in the shine level provided by different coatings? Would a pricier coating like Wolfgang or Gyeon provide better shine than McKee's?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ANOTHER coating question

I think a good primer to the coating you are applying can get you that little extra gloss out of it. And to a show car and garage queen I would consider a coating with a high content of tio2 in it. The one on AGO is carpro cquarts classic and carpro essence primer. One the AGO sister site you have Polish Angel cosmic v2 with PA Invicible Primer that is a really high end product. And as you say the last gloss levels you get from the finishing polish. The primers has a little of a very fine abrasive in them and followed by your useally combo Wolfgang sr/fg a primer with a soft finishing pad would be great. It's pricey but Polish Angel has a compound and polish that is a little different as you are doing more passes when working them. After them you have PA esclate lotion primer that gives some depth to the paint and finishing of with the Invicible Primer and you are good to go with the coating. A thing that you don't have to do is a panel wipe product as they have a synergy to work with the coating. That is also the benefit with most of the primers. If you go with carpro or gyeon or another of the well known brands I would apply a top coating to them. Carpro has their Gliss and gyeon I would look at their Syncro which is mohs and skin in the bundle. Polish Angel cosmic v2 I would apply cosmic spritz to as a topper. They have color coded toppers and other toppers that bring out the flakes or ad carnuaba flakes to the finish. It's much about the budget and time you are able to invest in. I think that for a garage queen PA is hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcate View Post
    Ok, car show season approacheth. I'm thinking about trying a coating on my black 09 GT500 this year. Every spring I detail it with Wolfgang swirl remover & finishing glaze, then protect it with DGPS. I coated the wife's Caddy last year with CSL, & my daily driver Fusion with McKee's. I'm not necessarily looking for the 3-5 year life of CSL. I'm more interested in the best possible finish & shine. (and resistance to wash induced swirls) The car never sees rain, just shows & cruise-ins. I understand that most of the shine comes from the polishing stage, so does anyone have an opinion that there's a difference in the shine level provided by different coatings? Would a pricier coating like Wolfgang or Gyeon provide better shine than McKee's?
    I have been playing around with carious coatings and you are correct that a majority of the gloss comes from polishing. Most coatings give that glassy type appearance to them.

SWETM made a good point that Cquartz TiO2 aka classic aka non-uk version adds reflectivity to give the appearance of more gloss due to the titanium dioxide (TiO2) within the coatings make up. Pair that with CarPro Essence and black looks really glossy.

If you are looking for a semi -coating with good levels of gloss then Gyeon CanCoat is an option. Pair that with Gyeon Primer and it squeezes that extra amount of gloss. I have Gyeon Pure in my possession that I will be using in the next couple of weeks, but Gyeon has stated that it provides a more candy coated gloss compared to Mohs.

Just a couple options on the coatings sold through Autogeek.

4. Likes SWETM, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    It's much about the budget and time you are able to invest in. I think that for a garage queen PA is hard to beat.
    100% agree SWETM. If you’re looking for maximum shine/gloss, Cosmic V2 is the way to go.

On a black car, many prefer a ‘nuba type of glow, vs. a glassy/candy coated look. If you want to go that route check out Polish Angel Centurion and use Black Wulfenite for top ups. Not a coating, but you really don’t need one on a show car/garage queen where the goal is primarily “looks.”
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

6. Likes SWETM, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have been playing around with carious coatings and you are correct that a majority of the gloss comes from polishing. Most coatings give that glassy type appearance to them.

SWETM made a good point that Cquartz TiO2 aka classic aka non-uk version adds reflectivity to give the appearance of more gloss due to the titanium dioxide (TiO2) within the coatings make up. Pair that with CarPro Essence and black looks really glossy.

If you are looking for a semi -coating with good levels of gloss then Gyeon CanCoat is an option. Pair that with Gyeon Primer and it squeezes that extra amount of gloss. I have Gyeon Pure in my possession that I will be using in the next couple of weeks, but Gyeon has stated that it provides a more candy coated gloss compared to Mohs.

Just a couple options on the coatings sold through Autogeek.
    Would be intresting to know if gyeon has been added some tio2 in any of their coatings. Or if it's just different strings of sio2. The downside with tio2 is the hardness and longevity I think. But for us autogeeks it would be intresting to know a little more than just the description of them.

I have a sealant based on only some kind of tio2. It's looks like it's a hidden gem. Sorry it's not sold on AGO.

A top coating booster like Can Coat is a good option.

Post Thanks / Like

I always prefer cquartz UK due to the slight darkening and high level of shine it provides. I actually prefer the look of UK to tio. I found tio to be nothing like UK and I'm not really a fan of it for looks or protection.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

9. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    On a black car, many prefer a ‘nuba type of glow, vs. a glassy/candy coated look.
    I love the Wet Candy Effect on black. We get more puffy white clouds with deep blue sky days like this in the spring so it's usually what I am for early in the year. Gotta love black mirrors I tend to redo things out of boredom and trying new products so later in the year is good for those. Yeah...I'm OCD.

For the original poster I would recommend CarPro Essence as the base. I really like it as a final refining polish and it's filler capacity helps in areas where it's needed. Combined IMO it really provides outstanding gloss. The above was polished with essence and a LC Hybrid Force white pad prior and then finished off with another round of passes using Essence on one of their gloss pads
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

11. Likes The Guz, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As usual, great answers guys! And thanks!

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@TTQ-

What coating is on that? That looks phenomenal.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, and I've never used it, but Essence did cause some issues (diminished longevity) when used under Gtechniq CSL + EXO for an Autopian user, 512detail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast