autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Helping sister protect black car for first time

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think that was his point, was he can't park it indoors.

Yeah, that is why I just suggested he wash it and go to 845...gonna wind up a cold day outside in Feb. when he does it.
    Yes, you are correct that we cannot park the car indoors. But to everyone's point, it may not be worth it to use a sealant at the moment since I can't really control temperature and any other external factors that might occur while the sealant is drying.

If I am planning to do a more detailed job in the Spring as the weather gets better, is it worth it to even use the enhancer instead of going straight from wash/dry to waxing? I could save even more time and elbow grease by just using the enhancer to prep for the Spring protection.
    Last edited by xM1NtYxFr3Shx; 02-01-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Words

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I didn't mean to skip the Polish Enhancer, or whatever it's called (the pre-wax cleaner). I mean, it would be better to use it... some surface prep, either clay or that, is going to get you a better job. Or if you have a cleaner wax/AIO of some type. You really want to do something to get to a clean surface.

I mean, at the end of the day, just wax is better than nothing. Clay and wax is better than just wax. Pre-wax cleaner and wax is better than just wax. Clay, pre-wax cleaner, and wax is better than just...well, you get the idea.

3. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would wash it with the 2 bucket and grit guard method, air dry it really well, clay and iron decontaminate the paint and get rid of any road tar. Then move on to an ipa wipe down and then seal, if you cannot, try an ipa wipe and then collinite 845
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Well the reason I suggest against Collinite is because of the temperature. Sealants tend to do better bonding in colder environments then waxes. At the same time depending on how cold it is, I don't think any of it will really stick on the paint since the cold will prevent the solvents from evaporating properly.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Please post pictures of sister Helping sister protect black car for first time
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

7. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do a thorough decon wash with iron remover and tar remover. Wash with something that leaves no wax as McKees 37 N-914 as rinseless wash or even as prep dilution or carpro reset or gyeon bathe essence. Then get a spray on rinse off product as McKees 37 Hydro Blue or carpro hydro2 lite or gyeon wet coat. Every 6-8 weeks do the spray on rinse off after the wash. And then do the spring detail when the weather allows. It's an easy and fast way to protect the car. And you get a little feeling of how a coating is since they are based on sio2. You can ad a sio2 car schampo also and wash with every 4th wash or so. The benefit is you don't have to touch the car when applying the lsp. This is an easy way and I have done this to this winter on my car. It has worked great in a harsh winter weather in Sweden. You maybe not get the up to 3 months longevity without claying and a paint cleaner. But 1-2 months for sure and an extra 15-20min to do the spray on rinse off protection is easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12