autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Helping sister protect black car for first time

Hi Everyone,

My sister just picked up a 2016 Jeep Renegade recently (black) and is interested in maintaining her vehicle for a long time. After inspecting the paint this past weekend and from my previous inexperience with an Obsidian Black 2007 Impreza 2.5i, her paint could use some TLC and protection since it is being parked outside (Southern Maryland). The previous owner most likely didn't wash the car properly and swirls are evident but not bad enough to lose the shine/luster of the paint; there are also some scratches and 1-2 chips about 1 mm - 2 mm in diameter down to the bare metal. Unfortunately, I am not skilled enough at this moment to perform any polishing or buffing to get the scratches out nor have I performed any paint correction yet. I also don't have the tools and materials but plan to get a DA (Griot's) as a starter in the near future.

In the meantime, I set her up with the following products:

1 x The Grit Guard Insert with Washboard Combo Pack (Black/ Red)
    1 x Chemical Guys CWS_107 Extreme Body Wash and Synthetic Wax Car Wash Shampoo (1 Gal)
    1 x Chemical Guys MIC_493 Chenille Microfiber Premium Scratch-Free Wash Mitt, Lime Green: Automotive
    1 x Chemical Guys MIC_507_06 Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towel, Gold (16 in. x 24 in.) (Pack of 6): Automotive

Now, what I have in my arsenal to help her perform a mid-Winter protection in two weeks when I visit her are the following products: Wolfgang Polish Enhancer 2.0, Wolfgang Paint Sealant, and Collinite 845. Is it safe to use these products outside of an enclosed space/garage? I think for the sealant to work, it requires a 12-24 hour curing time. Additionally, being a black car, somehow they are always prone to bird droppings and I am worried one might get on there during our protection process.

Overall, I am suggesting the following process - 2 bucket wash, dry vehicle, use polish enhancer to remove old coatings (if any are even on there), paint sealant (following directions and curing time), and waxing using the Collinite. While this isn't the ultimate method of detailing, especially for a black vehicle, it will give her an idea of how to protect her paint as well as teach her the techniques I have learned to reduce any additional scratches.

When I get my DA, I will work on paint correct as I also have a chip in my Subaru paint that I have yet to clear coat and buff out.

Thoughts?

M1NTY
    Last edited by xM1NtYxFr3Shx; 02-01-2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Removed URL links to products

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Helping sister protect black car for first time

Hi M1NTY, those Amazon links are going to get you in trouble real fast, I would edit them out.

If it were me, I'd skip the sealant for the cure time complications you mention. The Polish Enhancer should provide a good prep, then just top it with the 845. You might consider claying, but although some might think it's heresy, I give you permission to skip it.

Post Thanks / Like

The clay step won't add too much time to it but can really help the finish.

I'd seal it and top with 845. For years people used to top power lock with 845 and it was THE go-to combo. It'll also provide good protection that you won't feel terrible when she runs through an auto car wash a half dozen times until the next time you get your hands on it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Hi M1NTY, those Amazon links are going to get you in trouble real fast, I would edit them out.

If it were me, I'd skip the sealant for the cure time complications you mention. The Polish Enhancer should provide a good prep, then just top it with the 845. You might consider claying, but although some might think it's heresy, I give you permission to skip it.
    Thanks for the advice - links removed. Do you think waterspots will be an issue while applying the Enhancer and protection? When we washed her car this past weekend, we did see some small spots appear while drying.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    The clay step won't add too much time to it but can really help the finish.

I'd seal it and top with 845. For years people used to top power lock with 845 and it was THE go-to combo. It'll also provide good protection that you won't feel terrible when she runs through an auto car wash a half dozen times until the next time you get your hands on it.
    My concern was the cure time allowing the potential for bird droppings to fall on the car. If that does happen duirng the curing process, how can I fix it to not cause any lasting marks within the coatings/protection?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're overthinking this a bit.

You aren't dealing with a coating. There's not much of a 'cure' process with sealants and waxes. Waxes need literally 30-45min to sit on the surface. Probably even less, I just do that to be safe. A polymer sealant I let sit for about an hour or so and then buff off. Keep it dry for as long as possible, don't let any bird droppings sit too long.

Your sister is not likely to put the same amount of care into the finish that you will. Keep it simple and low maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a black car and it's not garaged, you might as well seal it with Wolfgang and leave it as is. And JC is right, you are over thinking it. The cure time is important to cross link the polymers with the paint however, it's not that big of a deal. Apply it, leave it on for an hour, wipe it off and then just leave it be.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

8. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you guys are forgetting (or maybe purposely disregarding based on personal experience) this statement from the WGDGS page:

"Tech Note: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is a water-based, oxygen activated paint sealant. After buffing off the sealant, the remaining coating needs to cure for 12 hours in dry conditions to fully bond to the paint. Exposure to moisture during this time will drown the polymers. For the best results, allow 12 hours of curing time."

Post Thanks / Like

No not disregarding. Just more a case of pick the right day and do it, or park it indoors. It's his sisters choice at the end of the day, you can't park your car outdoors and still try to hope for for the best possible outcome. What his sister can do is seal the car and hope for the best, but realistically they're not claying the car and not polishing by machine, they're not gonna get the best possible results anyway. In that situation, just wash and seal the car and don't over think it, it is what it is.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    No not disregarding. Just more a case of pick the right day and do it, or park it indoors.
    I think that was his point, was he can't park it indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    In that situation, just wash and seal the car and don't over think it, it is what it is.
    Yeah, that is why I just suggested he wash it and go to 845...gonna wind up a cold day outside in Feb. when he does it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast