autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kiwi kick off for 2018!!!

Hey team.

I guess this post is kinda a continuation from my "goings on WAY down South" threads but also a new chapter for our little detailing shop all the way down here at the top of the South Island of New Zealand.

The goings on WAY down South!!!

Updates on the goings on WAY down South.

Final updates on the goings on WAY down South.

Again, I'll add some pictures for entertainment value.

So as some of you know, we have moved into our new shop & to date, the shop has been busy & bookings are strong. The new location has certainly created a fair amount of interest now that we are on a road front & in the public eye. Beforehand we were in the middle of a row of workshop buildings that was up a driveway & fairly obscured from public view. Pretty much a situation that - if you weren't looking for us, you wouldn't know we were there, & until we created our Facebook page 18 months ago - we had simply been a word of mouth style shop.

With our new presence & with the addition of our retail section of quality car care goods, this has boosted inquiries & walk in customers by a huge amount. Whilst this appears to be (& I'm sure it will be) great, the extra pressure has considerably raised stress levels & increased work hours just a bit too much.

We have been planning on hiring another detailer for the shop floor & this time we had hoped to find someone with some experience to compliment our young apprentice.

As I have mentioned in the past - our young apprentice is green, really green but I put my faith in the fact he is a car guy & comes across keen but I sometimes struggled to see any serious future as a detailer. I have tried hard, given a lot of leeway & made countless excuses to myself that he would improve. He turns up on time every day, I'll give him that but man this kid cannot work clean, seems disinterested unless it's a vehicle he likes & isn't at all interested in working any overtime at all. Last week, & not for the first time - his inability to work unsupervised cost me, not only money but also a fair chunk of time I should've been at home with my beautiful family.
    With no remorse shown at all I had to issue him with a warning, & day later he gave me his resignation.

So begins the search for staff. I'm excited with the prospect of who we may find & the direction this change will take us.

Some of you also may have read about my impending journey back to Florida for the 13th annual Detail Fest. I'm pretty excited about this, & I'm counting down the days . . . 43 days to go now. I'm looking forward to catching up with my Bay Area Brother - Don - (fly07sti) whilst over there. Hopefully see a few other Autogeek Forum members, & of course - catch up with Mike Phillips, Nick Rutter, Meghan etc, & check out whats happening in the industry over there. A few seminars have caught my eye too & I can't wait to check out the car show.

Watching the posts on Facebook about the happenings at MTE & seeing the vendors attending there & seeing the line up for Detail Fest hasn't helped my patience any.

Very interested in having some time with the cordless Flex tools in hand too. (Thank you Mike) Maybe by then the cordless 3401 will make an appearance too. So - there we have it. More changes happening down here in the shop, & an excited Kiwi detailer looking forward to attending the 13th Annual Detail Fest. Please, I welcome any staff advice, comments & sure as heck come & say "Hey" if you see me at Detail Fest.

Thank you all for checking in.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kiwi kick off for 2018!!!

Very cool bud. As for dealing with your employee you did the right thing. I get asked a lot about bringing in some help but like you have seen trying to find someone who shares a similar passion is very difficult. Good luck with your search! If I ever come over I will get after it with ya! Haha.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

3. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome looking work on such a cool selection of cars. Your shop makes a great backdrop for photos!

5. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the employee, you will most likely never find someone who details to your level. My suggestion is give your future employees very entry level jobs. Initial washing, floor mats, and vacuuming. Teach them the basics then once they are satisfactory with that move up to more advanced stuff.

With your next new hire maybe develop a 20 minute practical “detailing” test. Let the new hire watch a basic video on YouTube or personally give them instructions on a basic detailing step. Then let them practice on your car or a grubby set of mats/wheels. Watch how they work, let them ask questions, you may learn a lot about how their detailing mind works.

I would struggle ever letting someone take over any aspect of my detailing job/work. It is a quality control issue. It sounds like that was one of your issues with the last employee. Best of luck with getting a new employee. If in the end it doesn’t work out. I would stay solo.

7. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post
    Very cool bud. As for dealing with your employee you did the right thing. I get asked a lot about bringing in some help but like you have seen trying to find someone who shares a similar passion is very difficult. Good luck with your search! If I ever come over I will get after it with ya! Haha.
    Thank you Justin.

Buddy - you’re always welcome in our shop. It’s a hard one for sure. I feel good about what’s happened, it’s a relief mentally anyhow.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Glad that new shop is busy. It looks great. I am probably not going to make detail fest this year. Made it to MTE though and had a good time.

10. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Regarding the employee, you will most likely never find someone who details to your level. My suggestion is give your future employees very entry level jobs. Initial washing, floor mats, and vacuuming. Teach them the basics then once they are satisfactory with that move up to more advanced stuff.

With your next new hire maybe develop a 20 minute practical “detailing” test. Let the new hire watch a basic video on YouTube or personally give them instructions on a basic detailing step. Then let them practice on your car or a grubby set of mats/wheels. Watch how they work, let them ask questions, you may learn a lot about how their detailing mind works.

I would struggle ever letting someone take over any aspect of my detailing job/work. It is a quality control issue. It sounds like that was one of your issues with the last employee. Best of luck with getting a new employee. If in the end it doesn’t work out. I would stay solo.
    Some really great points/suggestions here, thank you LEDetailing.

You hit the nail on the head - I battled for years with the idea of having staff, & you're dead right - stepping aside a little & letting someone else work under my name is a huge hurdle to get over. After I had my heart attack, I kinda knew I needed to settle down a bit & try.

This young guys position was as an entry level detailer & like you mention - each next step would begin as competence was shown in the previous. Unfortunately even the simplest tasks were at times too much. I cannot be doing the same job again & again, & a couple of times things had to be done three times, hence the verbal warning.

Started advertising tonight, we'll see how this time works out. Appreciate your time mate, thank you.

Aaryn NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guyb View Post
    Glad that new shop is busy. It looks great. I am probably not going to make detail fest this year. Made it to MTE though and had a good time.

Thanks Guyb.

Thats a shame you probably won't be at Detail Fest. I have heard really good things about MTE this year. It seems it is getting better & better & more detailing vendors getting involved as each year passes too. Could have to look into attanding MTE seriously in the future.

Aaryn NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! So cool with your success! Keep on rocking! It's always a good problem to need more help! That's a part of success! Right on!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that comes to mind is "Incredible".

Aaryn, Your shop, your work, your pics, and your presence on AGO is one of the highlights of this forum.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast