autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Repainted hood quality compared to oem?

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    That sucks, the guy says he needs the car for 5 days so I doubt he's rushing. Hopefully they have a curing lamp or whatever
    5 days is nothing... Body shop once kept my car for 2 months to re paint and install the front bumper, hood, + 2 fenders from a donor car that I provided to them. Those dudes take a long time for everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Do you know what paint the oem robot used at the plant? I doubt the painter does either he is just going to use the paint brand he uses everyday on every car. Could be between two companies. But most shops use one like sherwin Williams or ppg etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The paint used at the OEM is totally different then what body shops use.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    5 days is nothing... Body shop once kept my car for 2 months to re paint and install the front bumper, hood, + 2 fenders from a donor car that I provided to them. Those dudes take a long time for everything.
    3-5 days is about right assuming the parts are at the shop. I had my bumper replaced, painted, and vehicle back the next day, but that was through my old mans shop.

2 months is ridiculous if they have all the parts so I would assume that wasn't an insurance job?
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Repainted hood quality compared to oem?

All the shop needs is the paint code that’s on the car. They’ll know where to look if they know what they are doing. It doesn’t have to be the same paint brand as long as they are using a quality brand. The reason they are only doing it for $500, is because it won’t be that much more work when they are doing the bumper. If you do the hood separate from the bumper, the price will go up I’m sure.

The price of the car isn’t going to drop if it’s a newer car unless it’s something exotic, but since the bumpers being replaced and resprayed, it’d devalue for that anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

5. Likes sorehands liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    3-5 days is about right assuming the parts are at the shop. I had my bumper replaced, painted, and vehicle back the next day, but that was through my old mans shop.

2 months is ridiculous if they have all the parts so I would assume that wasn't an insurance job?
    Correct, it wasn’t an insurance job but instead out of pocket and it wasn’t cheap, even after I was able to knock $700 off their original estimate.. 2 months and it actually worked out great as I had another vehicle to drive + When they finally called me I actually ended up needing an extra 3 days to come up with all the cash.

In the end they did a fantastic job matching the Cadillac pearl white paint. I was impressed as was everyone I showed it to.

Here’s a picture of the donor car [top] and a couple of pictures of the recipient and the last Eldorado I owned.

7. Likes RaskyR1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gillyz View Post
    All the shop needs is the paint code that’s on the car. They’ll know where to look if they know what they are doing. It doesn’t have to be the same paint brand as long as they are using a quality brand. The reason they are only doing it for $500, is because it won’t be that much more work when they are doing the bumper. If you do the hood separate from the bumper, the price will go up I’m sure.

The price of the car isn’t going to drop if it’s a newer car unless it’s something exotic, but since the bumpers being replaced and resprayed, it’d devalue for that anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    I don't see why they are installing OEM parts it should be good as new. plus I'm paying myself so no accident report

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, it wasn’t an insurance job but instead out of pocket and it wasn’t cheap, even after I was able to knock $700 off their original estimate.. 2 months and it actually worked out great as I had another vehicle to drive + When they finally called me I actually ended up needing an extra 3 days to come up with all the cash.

In the end they did a fantastic job matching the Cadillac pearl white paint. I was impressed as was everyone I showed it to.

Here’s a picture of the donor car [top] and a couple of pictures of the recipient and the last Eldorado I owned.

Nice! How was the new paint good as new? They aren't keeping my car that long ill raise holy hell on earth. I'm going to be paying for a rental.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Nice! How was the new paint good as new? They aren't keeping my car that long ill raise holy hell on earth. I'm going to be paying for a rental.

Well, I’ll be completely honest.. At 1st it was perfect [the only minor indication of it being re painted that I ever noticed was the thin strip on the very bottom of the body kit reflected light a bit differently than the original paint on that thin strip along the rest of the car vs. the repainted part on the front end] But that was such a minor thing and it was only visible at night with a bright light shining on it + the strip was only 2-3” in height. It was never enough to bother me as the rest of the paint on the fenders, hood, and bumper were a perfect match in every way as far as my eyes could see.

I had the car for about 4yrs. after the body shop painted those panels and it spent the final 9 months parked outside in my driveway due to needing major engine repairs. And while everything seemed fine prior to it being parked, those final 9 months saw the paint on the hood go from perfect to nearly completely cracked and peeled off all the way down to bare metal.

It started off like this, but eventually it got severe to the point where the paint curled up and was fubar x2.

[I got this example from the internet]

Every other panel on the car remained just fine, but the hood somehow took a nosedive. I never knew for sure if it was due to the time I did a noob 3 step correction by hand, or if it was the body shops fault. I figured it was more than likely the body shops fault, but in the end it didn’t matter, because I never got the car running again...There were so many things to fix under the hood and even though there was more than enough money in the bank, I couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger and invest so much back into it, so I made the regrettable decision to part ways with it after it sat for 9 months.Repainted hood quality compared to oem?

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    The difficult part and you won't know for a while is if they let the colour coat cure for long enough before they lay on the clear coat. A friend of mine had the clearcoat on his roof rushed a few years ago from ice storm repairs. Now, there's obvious signs of the roof needing to be completely resanded and repainted with clearcoat. But it never showed up until two or three years later.
    The explanation given hereRepainted hood quality compared to oem?by WillSports [along with the little research I just did] seems to finally make clear sense of what most likely caused my situation to happen. Make sure to keep your receipt and try to get verbal guarantee with a handshake.🤝 Because I clearly remember the warranty on my receipt stated the paintjob was guaranteed for any defects for just 1yr. maybe 2.. Handshake agreement is worth the second it takes, you might get lucky and find an honorable person.

And make sure to be clear about your expectations of the repaint to match the rest of the vehicles paint quality. Otherwise you may be left getting what you pay for as their excuse. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I’ll be completely honest.. At 1st it was perfect [the only minor indication of it being re painted that I ever noticed was the thin strip on the very bottom of the body kit reflected light a bit differently than the original paint on that thin strip along the rest of the car vs. the repainted part on the front end] But that was such a minor thing and it was only visible at night with a bright light shining on it + the strip was only 2-3” in height. It was never enough to bother me as the rest of the paint on the fenders, hood, and bumper were a perfect match in every way as far as my eyes could see.

I had the car for about 4yrs. after the body shop painted those panels and it spent the final 9 months parked outside in my driveway due to needing major engine repairs. And while everything seemed fine prior to it being parked, those final 9 months saw the paint on the hood go from perfect to nearly completely cracked and peeled off all the way down to bare metal.

It started off like this, but eventually it got severe to the point where the paint curled up and was fubar x2.

[I got this example from the internet]

Every other panel on the car remained just fine, but the hood somehow took a nosedive. I never knew for sure if it was due to the time I did a noob 3 step correction by hand, or if it was the body shops fault. I figured it was more than likely the body shops fault, but in the end it didn’t matter, because I never got the car running again...There were so many things to fix under the hood and even though there was more than enough money in the bank, I couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger and invest so much back into it, so I made the regrettable decision to part ways with it after it sat for 9 months.Repainted hood quality compared to oem?

The explanation given hereRepainted hood quality compared to oem?by WillSports [along with the little research I just did] seems to finally make clear sense of what most likely caused my situation to happen. Make sure to keep your receipt and try to get verbal guarantee with a handshake.�� Because I clearly remember the warranty on my receipt stated the paintjob was guaranteed for any defects for just 1yr. maybe 2.. Handshake agreement is worth the second it takes, you might get lucky and find an honorable person.

And make sure to be clear about your expectations of the repaint to match the rest of the vehicles paint quality. Otherwise you may be left getting what you pay for as their excuse. Good luck!
    Thanks man that sounds legit A.F. I'm thinking I'm just going to have them fix the bumper. These last few days I'm starting to get the bug to trade up on the car. I do love it and I'm still paying for the guy to use the OEM parts but I'm seriously considering trading it now.

12. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You gotta remember, most customers don't see the insides of a body shop. The shop my company uses for our fleet vehicles is a nightmare. I remember going into the back to remove some sensitive things we kept in the cars and I'm watching a guy sand a panel next to a guy spray painting a door and beside them, a guy eating a sandwhich. I walked out shaking my head and one of the guys said to me "ya I know I wouldn't bring my car here either."
    Ask to see their operations if you go with the bodyshop. See if they're actually doing a decent job or not or of they're just painting and sanding panels in the open.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast