autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

windshield fine scratches

I have a 50-year-old windshield that has minute fine scratches from someone using dirty wipers over the years. I have tried one product to polish out the glass but it had minimal perfect. I am looking for the ultimate glass restoration process. I'd rather put hours into the windshield then have to replace the glass because of the fine scratches. Any suggestions on products, steps, or even voodoo would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: windshield fine scratches

cerium oxide. You could try using Carpro's Ceriglass and Rayon glass pads. I know alot of guys have had success with extremely fine wiper scratches. I've tried it but felt the amount of effort that goes into achieving acceptable results was never justifiable. Expect to spend 2-3 hours and also be sure you have an additional wetting agent to keep the product working.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    cerium oxide. You could try using Carpro's Ceriglass and Rayon glass pads. I know alot of guys have had success with extremely fine wiper scratches. I've tried it but felt the amount of effort that goes into achieving acceptable results was never justifiable. Expect to spend 2-3 hours and also be sure you have an additional wetting agent to keep the product working.
    :agree:Plus using a rotary with a rayon pad will yield you faster results than with a da or hand. Do small sections at a time and keep the Ceriglass wet. Put some old mf on the wiper cowl and that will save some clean up. Good luck, glass polishing takes a lot of time.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using an orange Lake County pad with my da with the glass polish you mentioned. I have not kept it wet, I will give that a try. Doing it in the method I was made the glass look cleaner but did not remove any fine scratches.