autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

McKee's Hydro-blue and Film...

Went to coin op, wash and rinsed off all the salt and crud. Car looks great---black and glossy. Upon closer inspection, there is film still on paint.

I was under the impression that with Hydro Blue even the film should come off.

Am I expecting too much?

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's Hydro-blue and Film...

TMQ

Normal road film not road film with salt and other who knows what other chemicals, just think if you did not use Hydro Blue what mess you would face
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

3. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife’s van has Hydro Blue on it. Washe dit today. I had to hand wash the salt road gunk off. But that’s expected. I’m not sure of any LSP that will just rinse that gunk off. Normal dirt is usually rinses right off Hydro Blue and a snow foam.

5. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used various coatings and road film (especially in winter with salt, etc.) needs agitation to fully remove. Ive got Mckees paint coating on now and it keeps my car much cleaner but still doesnt keep road film from sticking. Hydro Blue is allowing me to keep my wheels looking great with just a strong rinse. Im sure theres still a film but they look practically brand new with a strong blastbof water. Black paint on the other hand.....

7. Thanks TMQ, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes TMQ, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    I've used various coatings and road film (especially in winter with salt, etc.) needs agitation to fully remove. Ive got Mckees paint coating on now and it keeps my car much cleaner but still doesnt keep road film from sticking. Hydro Blue is allowing me to keep my wheels looking great with just a strong rinse. Im sure theres still a film but they look practically brand new with a strong blastbof water. Black paint on the other hand.....
    Thanks...I was just about to ask if coatings were any better. Your explanation above cleared that up for me!

It's good to know that even with coatings---agitation is still needed.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Hydro blued my Xterra several weeks back. Before the PA deep freeze. Went thru several weeks of brutal winter weather. Finally got a chance to do a proper wash Saturday. Foam gun and buckets. I was impressed with the protection it provided. I finished with Trademark extender spray wax. Good as new again.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

10. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tom,

A power wash will never get rid of everything UNLESS you're power washing it right after it got dirty. In the case of the salt and what not, the film has dried on so you have to agitate. If it's fresh, it might come right off.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

12. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get something like gtechnic w4 citrus foam or gyeon foam. And use a pressure bottle or a spray bottle or the closest to a foamcannon a foam pressure bottle. Then presoak the car with it and then let it dwell for as long as possible before drying. Pressure wash from bottom to top and use the water pressure from the PW to clean as you would have aggitate it with a wash mitt. This is the closest way for me to get it as clean as possible without touching the paint. The prewash is loosen up the road film a little more than just rinse it of with a PW alone IME. To the lower panels I use a tar degreaser also. If doing that use it first and then foam the paint after to neutralise the degreaser. It wont do a perfect work as a wash with touching the paint but much better than not to do anything.

14. Thanks TMQ, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes TMQ, VitreousHumor liked this post