autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Slightly panicking

2008 red gcm Sierra, parked outside in georgia weather. I have always keep waxed an different sealers on through out years. Maybe not to the degree as a professional but I do try to keep a nice truck. Problem is I have just noticed my trim piece, the one that runs down the lower portion of the door appears to have faded in places. Mainly upper half. Looks like dried milk. I have rubbed several compounds 101,102, even a trim restore. Nothing removes the dull. Truck is red if that matters. Any ideas will be appreciated and tried. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Slightly panicking

Pictures? Is it painted or black plastic trim?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume it’s painted, it’s red same as truck, with a strip of Crome in it.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is actual trim (plastic or rubber) and it is supposed to be black, I would look into Solution Finish. IMO one of the best trim restorer on the market.

https://www.autogeek.net/solution-fi...orer-12oz.html
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I second Solution Finish as my go to trim repair product. Haven’t found anything that will beat it.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it that plastic bodyside molding? Not sure there is any bringing that stuff back

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly panicking

This is why it’s lame that the AG app is broken as far as not being able to post pics... [and most peeps don’t know about Tapatalk]

If it’s plastic/rubber it can be brought back by using a non abrasive paint cleaner such as Mckee’s Coating Prep Polish. You can scrub all day with APC or deagreaser but they can’t do what that polish can do for non porous plastics.

But I kind of doubt that molding is made of plastic/rubber and even if it is, I think those moldings are painted and they’re prone to fading. Once they fade there’s not much you can do except replace them. [no use in paying to re paint them as new ones cost about the same]

A friend of mine had that same problem on his Chevy Silverado and he chose to take them off a buy new moldings.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s hard painted plastic, it chips, will not dent. I suppose it’s purpose is to keep other cars doors from dinging door. As well as a cosmetic sporty look. So I guess I’ll just have to live with it. Just odd that dull fender paint can be polished close to new but this can’t.

Post Thanks / Like

For black plastic, you want to clean it with a soft brush and either an All-Purpose Cleaner or a degreaser. Once that is done, the trim restorer should be able to do it's job. I will second everyone else, Solution Finish is the best trim restorer I have used BY FAR! But do try the trim restorer you already have after the deep cleaning, chances are it will work much better.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorliffe99 View Post

It’s hard painted plastic, it chips, will not dent.

I suppose it’s purpose is to keep other cars doors from dinging door. As well as a cosmetic sporty look.

So I guess I’ll just have to live with it. Just odd that dull fender paint can be polished close to new but this can’t.

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that this component being flexible has paint on it that includes a flex agent and just like the painted flexible urethane components on C4 Corvettes were very prone to dull and face while the paint on adjacent body panels did NOT fade these parts on your truck do and will fade and my guess is there's nothing you can do about it.

I was once told parts like these are outsourced to outside companies that specialize in components for cars and then are attached while the car is being assembled on the assembly line. It is for this reason that while the color match might be dead on accurate when the car is pooped out of the assembly line, over time, because the company that makes and then paints the components is NOT use the exact same paint used on the assembly line - you see variances.

Here's the BIG PICTURE

You and I can for the most part only affect the surface of a painted panel or component. So if the pigments layer under the clearcoat has faded there's nothing you or I can do outside of repainting.

New cars... meh....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast