autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you tell if wax is gone ?

Quote Originally Posted by crovello View Post

I always use a quick spray wax or detailing spray after I wash my car. Are you telling me this is removing the nice layer of wax I put on my car the previous wash?
    IMO the detailing spray won’t remove your wax, nor does it leave behind anything potent enough to alter it. Of course there’s so many detailing sprays available and they’re not all created equal, but generally a detail spray’s main purpose is light cleaning and gloss enhancement, which should be fine.

As far as spray wax, it’s more of a gradual transformation into it and away from your base layer to where eventually you’re left with simply the layer of protection left by the spray wax and not 2 layers with the spray wax serving as the sacrificial layer on top of the paste wax.

If your maintenance schedule is as you describe [with you performing a bucket wash once per week, using a spray wax or detail spray as a drying aid and re applying a fresh layer of paste/liquid wax about every 5 weeks] then you should be just fine, because there’s a steady layer of protection on the paint + it’s being washed frequently, which is a good thing.

Now the question is: When it comes time for you to re apply a layer of paste/liquid wax at the 5th week, does your paint pass the baggie test? If so, your process is flawless. But if after just 5 weeks and all those applications of wax it somehow fails the baggie test, then the 1st thing I’d point the finger at would be the spray wax. Why? Because there’s a possibility it’s removing the base layer and replacing it with itself and leaving you with an inferior layer of protection with no lasting power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Just to throw some gasoline on the fire with this debate consider this. It been repeated over and over that that it is the surfactants in the strong soaps that is masking the beading and that the sealant is still there, just need the surfactants removed.

Well I have learned through trial and error that Carpro Reset has the ability to kill your wax/sealant LSP's. I like Reset and using it on uncoated cars. I mix it at half dilution to prevent it from killing the LSP. Given that Reset does not use surfactants and is supposed to leave nothing behind, if I washed the car at double the dilution rate and it appears that it killed the LSP. Are all you nay-sayers still going to tell me that I can't strip with a strong wash and it is still there being masked by the surfactants?

Sorry, it just irritates me when people try to make the process of trying to strip off a LSP using a strong wash sound like it is a waste of effort. At the very least I am thoroughly degreasing the car exterior that a regular shampoo wash is not capable of.
    I use strong soap every week it doesn't mask the beading. By strong I mean a normal soap at a high concentration in a foam gun, 3_4x the recommend amount

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •If you are saying that Reset, which CarPro
    states: ‘utilizes “Intelligent pH Surfactants”’—
    i.e. surfactants that feature the strength of an
    alkaline cleaner, while remaining pH-neutral
    in solution—are not actually bona fide surfactants...

-then I have to disagree.

Bob
    Okay, but it is still not supposed to leave anything behind correct? Strip road film back to the coating layer so that the coating can do its thing.

WillSports3, good point about waxes. Routine washes with 1/2 diluted Reset has noticeably shortened the life span of several polymer sealants that I have been using on my own cars. Enough that I've gone back to Megs HW.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, but it is still not supposed to leave anything behind correct? Strip road film back to the coating layer so that the coating can do its thing.

WillSports3, good point about waxes. Routine washes with 1/2 diluted Reset has noticeably shortened the life span of several polymer sealants that I have been using on my own cars. Enough that I've gone back to Megs HW.
    I think with not leave anything behind is to as no wax or glossenhancer. Then of course easy to rinse off the reset as to not leave any surfactans or any other residue of the soap on the car. Sorry for marking words I get what you were saying and wanted to clarify for any who was wondering

I have not experienced with the sealants and QD I have used has been shortened by reset yet. More that it has revived the lower side panels and back of the car. When they were very dirty and not sheeting anything. Sure sometimes they didn't but that I looked at is was done then and needed to get a new sealant application. I think that when useing a car soap with added protection you wont see it easy when the sealants and wax is gone. Do you see that you get more out of sealants and waxes washing with Megs Hyper Wash?

Skickat frĺn min SM-T585 via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Oldz’s questions regarding Reset:
    •How will this soap react to typical
    waxes and sealants?

•Is also a good choice b4 a complete
    detail to get a deep down clean?

-I ask this because I am assuming it is
    stronger than typical shampoos being
    that it is designed for coated vehicles.
    —————————————————————
    Answered as follows:
    •I tested it (briefly) on some very weak
    waxes during beta to check for that and
    they weren't removed by it at all.

•A friend and additional tester went through
    multiple cycles on wax and found it to begin
    to remove after (I think he said 12) washes.

•It has zero negative affect on Hydro2 or
    Reload and won't deteriorate a traditional
    wax/sealant fast enough to change when
    you would have re-applied it. ~Corey

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.