autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

What are your TDS readings?

So I bought an inexpensive Total Disolved Solids (TDS) meter. It was cheap and I wanted to know where my water stood.

My local water through a water softener is 136 ppm (parts per million). My outdoor spigots are using the treated water. Not that it matters in January in WI

I tested the reverse osmosis water in my water bottle from the gym, 10 ppm. My gallon of distilled water read 1 ppm. My Big Berkey charcoal water filter actually added TDS which I read is totally normal. Filtered water read 157 ppm.

So, for those of you with a TDS meter what is your wash water reading?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are your TDS readings?

In NorCal where I live our tap water is pretty hard, 350-425 on the TDS meter.

We have a water softener for the house that brings it down under 200 but because the water is pretty soft so it doesn't ruin the plumbing.

I installed an 6-stage RODI (reverse osmosis de-inonization) system in the garage for drinking water and the ice maker. It also has two delivery pumps which help fill the tanks quicker and gets the RODI water to the kitchen at pretty decent volume and pressure. Adding DI was overkill but it gets our drinking water and ice below 6 ppm, about the same as our local water store.

For DI I created my own version of the CR Spotless system except mine is 3-stage instead of 2-stage or 1-stage. It is a heavy beast, far heavier than I imagined but the 20" cartridges are quite large and heavy by themselves. This system puts out about 5ppm at very good pressure and volume, enough to rinse the car and windows on the house with really good pressure and it also feeds the 6HP pressure washer with much difficulty.

Post Thanks / Like

225 PPM here. Southeast PA.
    Water from my CR Spotless says 0 PPM.
    Bruno Soares

4. Likes LEDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Route246,

Sounds like quite the water treatment you have. Does the water as low as 5ppm leave you with spotless windows and paint?

6. Likes Route246 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Initially when we moved in our new home, it was about 1200, then it dropped to 800 something, now it's around 400 (post water softer). After RO TDS is somewhere between 60-100. I think post RO TDS of 10 is way too low and it should be brought up to 50-60.

8. Likes Route246, LEDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Route246,

Sounds like quite the water treatment you have. Does the water as low as 5ppm leave you with spotless windows and paint?
    Yes, totally spotless. Rinsed a black car and left it to dry in the sun. No traces anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

10. Thanks LEDetailing, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Initially when we moved in our new home, it was about 1200, then it dropped to 800 something, now it's around 400 (post water softer). After RO TDS is somewhere between 60-100. I think post RO TDS of 10 is way too low and it should be brought up to 50-60.
    I read this but we have been buying water from the local water store and it reads about 5-6ppm. We were using this store for over 20 years. I installed the home system because I got tired of hauling multiple 5-gal bottles back and forth. It’s more costly per gallon but much more convenient and our ice cubes are now almost perfectly clear.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk