autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to strip wax

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I was just wondering. And that kind of synthetic wax is hard to remove as a sealant is. A pure organic wax I think is esier to remove and if a lsp has been in the weather elements and the wear and tear of a time. It's easier to break down after that time. A quality lsp stands up good to most used chemicals in car cleaning. The outside elements is more harsh to them over time than a chemical resistant lsp. And the way and wash media products touching the paint also. The same with some surfactans that cloggs cause it's harder to rinse them away and some cheaper spray waxes and QD and car soap with waxes that alter the lsp water behavior very much so you think it has worn of.

Some cleaner wax has strong and alot of solvent in them and that is why they can clean up a paint really good. And with a da and abrasive from the pads and the abrasive in them. It would take a really strong lsp to stand up to it. The thing I wonder about is the residue from the old lsp have the possibility to interfear with the new lsp longevity and quality. And if it's worth it to a aio like 360 that has a long longevity to do a finish polish first to get the old lsp and road film of the paint first with a paint cleanser polish or a finish polish. The thing I will do is to clean the pad god between sets and switch pads when it's builds up residue on them. That's also why I think a chemical decon and claying as through as possible is benefit to the pads. But to get it all of I think almost impossible before the AIO. Then a paint cleanser polish can be of benefit if you have few pads at hand when AIO polish.
    I chose polymer paste wax for two reasons. Not sure my test would work with liquid wax/sealants...2 strangth should be similar to liquid sealant..and 3 no one really uses pure carnuba paste..majority use synthetic paste/liquid
    I remember pipuk thread..was good..that was the thread where his car turned pink right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post
    Below is a definitive thread on lsp stripping. The OP is an actual chemist in the detailing industry.
    For some reason links aren’t highlighting for me right now. You can search for the thread called lsp stripping by PiPUK if the below doesn’t work.

LSP stripping
    That's not a difinitve thread and how do we know the guy is a real chemist? I'm a real brain surgeon/famous actor. Anybody can say anything on here doesnt mean it's true

Post Thanks / Like

IPA 90% or more diluted 50/50 will remove wax and good to use in between steps (clay, compound, polish)
    Clean slate wash or a similar product will remove most waxes/sealants
    Claying will remove most
    Go straight to compounding or polishing
    My favorite if I'm not doing a compound polish is a product like cleaner wax like Collinite 840 or zymol. Rub it on, wipe it off and seal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    That's not a difinitve thread and how do we know the guy is a real chemist? I'm a real brain surgeon/famous actor. Anybody can say anything on here doesnt mean it's true
    Yeah. This is BS. How do I know this guy is legit? Cuz, I’ve read what he’s posted & I’m a pharmacist with a background in chemistry - and he knows what he is talking about. So, believe what you want actor / brain surgeon.

5. Likes ski2, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a former biochemist with no experience in developing detailing products. But chemistry is chemistry. My opinion is several posters are correct.

FunX said if you polish (which I define as using an abrasive, even a mild one) you will wipe out any preexisting wax/sealant. I agree. This is a physical means of removing the wax/sealant.

Mantilgh said to just apply your wax/sealant of choice over the preexisting wax/sealant. If you are using a machine to apply your wax/sealant of choice, I agree. The wax/sealant you are applying will work as an organic solvent and overwhelm the preexisting wax/solvent. This is a chemical means of removing the wax/sealant, with the added help of the physical force of the pad and machine.

Several posters mentioned an AIO will wipe out the preexisting wax/sealant. Physical + chemical. I agree.

IPA is a weak organic solvent. A hand wipe down using IPA will remove at least some of the preexisting wax/sealant. Is it better than using a polish, your preferred wax/sealant, or an AIO using a machine? I doubt it. So to me, if I'm using a machine, an IPA step is not worth it.

Personally, if I wanted to remove the preexisting wax/sealant and lay down something new with minimum effort, I'd use an AIO like HD Speed with a machine and finishing pads. One step, old stuff gone, new stuff applied, and I remove a few swirls while I'm at it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345