autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Brand New 2017 Chevy 1500 High Country (HOLY SWIRL BATMAN)

I just couldn't believe my eyes so I had to share this with my Autogeek friends.

One of my good buddies bought a brand new Chevy 1500 High Country from a dealer in CT. He immediately gave me a call before purchasing to ask me about doing a GTechniq CSL/EXO ceramic coating. I said sure lets do it but don't let the dealer touch the exterior truck! He asked the dealer not to wash the truck but the dealer said that they would not let the truck leave their lot unless they at least give it a quick wash. I told him that was total BS and to take his business elsewhere but he insisted on buying from this particular dealer since there wasn't another high country available with the options he wanted anywhere in the area. That being said he told the dealer that they better use brand new wash mitts and to not use a brush.

Well, the day after purchasing we took it into his garage and I threw my make-shift swirl light on the paint, WOW it was BADDD. I just couldn't wrap my head around how bad and deep the swirls were. You could actually see the brush marks on the roof of the truck as well so I know they used a damn brush on the paint.

I told him right off the bat that were going to need to do a full paint correction but unfortunately I only had a Rupes Green Pad and Menzerna Heavy Cut 400 on me at the time and my shop was about an hour away. I totally wasn't expecting this kind of damage and I should know better to always expect the worst. First we quickly clayed the paint so I could start compounding. I did a test spot on the hood with my Rupes and I was able to get about 85% of the swirl out with 6-8 passes but it wasn't satisfactory enough for the both of us. Some of the swirls were insanely deep and I probably could have gotten them out with a blue coarse pad if I had one on me . It also seemed like the clearcoat was pretty hard which made it more challenging as well.

Since we couldn't correct the paint to the level I wanted we ended up just polishing the rest of the truck and threw some Collinite on the truck to get him through the winter and then we are going to tackle this in the spring since we were limited on time that day. I will have to write another post once I get the truck fully corrected because the black chevy's look so damn good after a paint correction.

Oh, almost forgot the best part. My buddy called the dealer to complain and he showed him some pictures of the damage and the salesman told him that some wax would take those right out if he wants to bring it back in for them to "fix" it . He tried to make them pay for the damages but as expected they won't do anything unless "they" fix the issue themselves. They also told him that I was overcharging him as I gave him my normal quote of $450 for a paint correction and $550 with Ceramic Coating which I obviously not really charging him that amount since we couldn't complete the project just yet.

Vid of the damage....

50/50 shot...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brand New 2017 Chevy 1500 High Country (HOLY SWIRL BATMAN)-img_1384-jpg   Brand New 2017 Chevy 1500 High Country (HOLY SWIRL BATMAN)-img_0672-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New 2017 Chevy 1500 High Country (HOLY SWIRL BATMAN)

Holy crap, that is BAD!! I watched a couple “detailers” at my local GMC/Cadillac dealer use a couple pole brushes and a dirty bucket of water to wash brand new 100k Escalade’s rolling off the truck.

Post Thanks / Like

people should know by now that big business is going to do what they want to do. Unless someone has a special connection @ the dealership- they dont care what you want- it is a hitch in their process and they dont want to be bothered. And they pretty much know as bad as you want the vehicle ( or you wouldnt be there to begin with- you came to them and not the other way around) you are not going anywhere else.

They are going to tell you what ever you want to hear and then do what they want - then come up with a excuse (definition of excuse-- a excuse is a reason wrapped in a lie ) on why what happened , happened.

I have dealt with this kind of crap for years-- its the culture now. Good luck with the paint!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It’s because 98% of people who buy cars dont care or know what these “swirls” are. IMO, the general public has become accustomed to this and think its the norm. As long as they dont see a strike through / scratch into the base coat, they dont care. Let’s call these people, ‘Lucky’. They must live longer than us.

Post Thanks / Like

I get that your buddy really wanted the vehicle but why didn't he just go to another dealership and ask them to order it? Normally when it comes to new cars if the dealer doesn't have it, I tell them to order it in.unless it's a used car, I don't buy cars off the lot. I want a brand new one shipped in.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I get that your buddy really wanted the vehicle but why didn't he just go to another dealership and ask them to order it? Normally when it comes to new cars if the dealer doesn't have it, I tell them to order it in.unless it's a used car, I don't buy cars off the lot. I want a brand new one shipped in.
    I agree with you, He was just in a rush to get into a new vehicle. When I bought my brand Accord I told them to not even take the plastic off and they were happy to do what I wanted. I wouldn’t have even dealt with a dealer like this, pretty ridiculous. Like other mentioned, the majority of people don’t know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel and it really irks me.

Post Thanks / Like

Brand New 2017 Chevy 1500 High Country (HOLY SWIRL BATMAN)

Finally got some above freezing temps this weekend and tackled this beast. I don't know what it is with this Chevy's paint but it was extremely difficult to work with, I still am not completely satisfied with the outcome and feel somewhat defeated. The truck definitely looks a hell of a lot better but it kicked my ass and the owner (my friend) both agreed that it wasn't worth the extra effort to make it 99%. I would say its about 92% free of imperfections and I spent a total of 17 hours between the time washing until I was done with the GTechniq CSL/EXO coating. He was super happy with the outcome so that's all that matters! My OCD says otherwise....

This time I went straight to a Meguairs MF Cutting Pad with CarPro Clear Cut Compound. First time using this stuff and there is a little bit of a learning curve but I was able to figure it out after a few passes. Some panels needed to be worked twice (6-8 passes) to knock down the deeper swirls the dealer created. There was a slight haze and decent RIDS after wiping down each panel so I followed up with a Rupes Yellow Pad and Menzerna 3500 do get that glossy deep black look.

I wish I took better before pictures but I just wanted to get this thing over with.

Hood came out about 99% definitely looked the best out of all the panels.

Probably should have cleaned the running boards before taking pics..oops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Diner, DetailedByPrecision liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks way better- GM clear coats are notoriously hard from my exp. You did a good job and it looks a million times better-- (even for a chevy with the square wheel wells)

Wheels are a nice design-- are they a aftermarket set??

10. Thanks STI4Life06 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    Looks way better- GM clear coats are notoriously hard from my exp. You did a good job and it looks a million times better-- (even for a chevy with the square wheel wells)

Wheels are a nice design-- are they a aftermarket set??
    Those are OEM optional I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You did some excellent work there, and it looks great.

Shame on the dealer, although this seems to be the norm, almost regardless of where you go. The Nissan dealer where I bought my Altima in 2014 seems to be a potential exception, as the car did not have any swirls in it when we bought, but I don't take any chances when we bring it in for service. I print out and signs that say "DO NOT WASH" in bold letters, which get placed in a couple locations in the car whenever I bring it in. So far, they've been very good about following them.

13. Thanks STI4Life06 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast