autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are these buffer/polishers a no-no?

When I see these, I'm obligated to post this:

There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you're only going to use a DA once a year or so and don't want to spend (or don't have) a lot of money then get the HF DA and purchase the backing plate and pads here at AG, and if money is not an issue then get the GG6 (worth every penny) instead..
    I had the harbor frieght da when I started the backing plate is fine. I bought the miguiars backing plate for it thinking it was going to make it better. There was absolutely no difference at all. Its the same backing plate with a different sticker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    As others have said, don't bother. Yes, you could use one on older single stage paint with decent results. But it won't do much with modern clear coats. Plus, they're harder to control than an average DA.

When buying a polisher, even as a weekend warrior working on your own car only, factor in that you'll probably keep the polisher a long time. I bought a PC7424 back in 2002 and it's still going strong. I paid $120 for it back then (no small chunk of change at the time) but that works out to a mere $8 a year. And believe me, you'll be using it more than you think.

Buy once, cry once, I say. If you can afford it, I'd suggest a Griots GG6. Lifetime warranty and good power for a DA.
    i agree with this the gg6 is worth the extra money plus you can probably get a nice starter kit right here at autogeek

Post Thanks / Like

Are these buffer/polishers a no-no?

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I had the harbor frieght da when I started the backing plate is fine. I bought the miguiars backing plate for it thinking it was going to make it better. There was absolutely no difference at all. Its the same backing plate with a different sticker
    There’s a major difference in the velcro. The HF backing plate has velcro that sticks so hard you’ll probably delaminate your 6” pads trying to remove them after a few times. It’s like 1 step under crazy glue. That’s not the case with the Meguiars or any other backing plate.

Besides why would you want to work that machine with a 6” plate & pads when 5” pads not only give you better access, but the machine will provide better power with them vs. having to spin 6” pads.

Believe me, I have the HF backing plate and thought it would be useful for spin drying my large LC Orbitals and Rupes pads after washing them... I quickly found out I was close to delaminating all of them the 1st time I tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    There’s a major difference in the velcro. The HF backing plate has velcro that sticks so hard you’ll probably delaminate your 6” pads trying to remove them after a few times. It’s like 1 step under crazy glue. That’s not the case with the Meguiars or any other backing plate.

Besides why would you want to work that machine with a 6” plate & pads when 5” pads not only give you better access, but the machine will provide better power with them vs. having to spin 6” pads.

Believe me, I have the HF backing plate and thought it would be useful for spin drying my large LC Orbitals and Rupes pads after washing them... I quickly found out I was close to delaminating all of them the 1st time I tried.

The HF plate also features. The classic "J" hooks, where the Meguiar's uses micro hooks.

6. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Due to the fact that we have diverged from the OP's original question...a couple of years back, Mike Stoops (over at MOL) did a great write up on the various types of 'velcro' backing plates. VERY informative. Sorry don't have link.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

There is one sold here that is similar in size & shape but it is a DA. I would buy the Griot's and be done with it but here's information on the Mother's offering:

https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-wax...-polisher.html

I can see where it would be okay for large flat areas but useless for smaller more intricate panels.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    The HF plate also features. The classic "J" hooks, where the Meguiar's uses micro hooks.
    That must be it... Those J hooks have insane grip! It’s like pulling teeth. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    the HF DA comes with a 6" backing plate and i would ditch it and replace it with a 5" instead (one below) so you can use 5.5" pads...

https://www.autogeek.net/griots-5-in...ted-plate.html

Post Thanks / Like

I used these in the 80's, times have changed. Antiques now😬

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast