autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best products and techniques for removing road salts?

Obviously we're in the season of brutal road salts on the highway and our cars get absolutely hammered. I saw 1 yesterday that was totally caked in white. I would post the picture but Its got the persons plate in the picture. I stay on top of mine but this winter has been kicking my but despite my best efforts.

Anybody know any great products or techniques for keeping the road salts at bay and stopping them from destroying our lsp's

Its been so cold I haven't been able to do my weekly wash like last year which was mild. Some weeks the laser wash is the only option. If the car is covered in dirty road salts is it better to use the laser wash or leave the salts on there and wait until you can do a proper wash?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best products and techniques for removing road salts?

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Obviously we're in the season of brutal road salts on the highway and our cars get absolutely hammered. I saw 1 yesterday that was totally caked in white. I would post the picture but Its got the persons plate in the picture. I stay on top of mine but this winter has been kicking my but despite my best efforts.

Anybody know any great products or techniques for keeping the road salts at bay and stopping them from destroying our lsp's

Its been so cold I haven't been able to do my weekly wash like last year which was mild. Some weeks the laser wash is the only option. If the car is covered in dirty road salts is it better to use the laser wash or leave the salts on there and wait until you can do a proper wash?
    Here in Colorado they use magnesium chloride on the roads. This stuff wreaks havoc on cvehicles paint and chassis. I found Valugard.com and they have a line of products that deal with road salts. So far the trailer truck wash has been great.
    I did just yesterday have to use a touch less wash. After reading the menu, I’m pretty confident if you don’t get the top of the line wash, your LSP’s should be ok and the car clean enough till you can get to it properly. Hope that helps.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Washmitt View Post
    Here in Colorado they use magnesium chloride on the roads. This stuff wreaks havoc on cvehicles paint and chassis. I found Valugard.com and they have a line of products that deal with road salts. So far the trailer truck wash has been great.
    I did just yesterday have to use a touch less wash. After reading the menu, I’m pretty confident if you don’t get the top of the line wash, your LSP’s should be ok and the car clean enough till you can get to it properly. Hope that helps.....
    Why does the top of the line washes have worse chemicals then the low end wash? I know the low end wash where I am doesn't include the drying or the spot free rinse

Post Thanks / Like

I only use the basic touchless wash when I need to. Which is usually a foam bath, high pressure soap, high pressure rinse, low pressure rinse, then pass through the air blower. I don't want any of the spray LSP that they use on the higher choices. Just want the road salt cleaned off as best as it can like you said. Then do a proper wash when the conditions a re right.

5. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I simply run my vehicle through a touchless wash whenever the weather gets above freezing. There are a few places around me with the underbody spray rigs which is nice in getting the salt off the underbody and out of the wheel wells. It isn't perfect, but it removes the majority of the salt and keeps the car clean enough to get me through until Spring when I can do a proper hand wash. The whole reason I use a highly durable LSP or coating is to stand up to this type of environment.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Look into the hydroshot. Depending on how often you go to spray washes this will pay for itself in no time. I got a refurbished unit with a battery and all the tools for 80 dollars. I spend 3-5 at a spray wash per visit. In one winter I will break even. I have used the soap dispenser and even ran rinseless solution through the product, with great results.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

8. Likes Frank70 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I only use the basic touchless wash when I need to. Which is usually a foam bath, high pressure soap, high pressure rinse, low pressure rinse, then pass through the air blower. I don't want any of the spray LSP that they use on the higher choices. Just want the road salt cleaned off as best as it can like you said. Then do a proper wash when the conditions a re right.
    The one I go to has a "pre-soak" not a foam bath. The pre soak is the acid, that's what strips the lsp then they do a 2nd spray to neutralize the acid. Then the high pressure wash. I've never seen one that had an actual foam bath that would be nice though. Maybe I'll have to start checking the other towns to see if they have a better 1 like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I simply run my vehicle through a touchless wash whenever the weather gets above freezing. There are a few places around me with the underbody spray rigs which is nice in getting the salt off the underbody and out of the wheel wells. It isn't perfect, but it removes the majority of the salt and keeps the car clean enough to get me through until Spring when I can do a proper hand wash. The whole reason I use a highly durable LSP or coating is to stand up to this type of environment.
    If the temperature is above freezing even by 1 degree I do a normal 2 bucket wash with the pressure washer. The exact same thing I do in summer. I do it every weekend. Last year I only missed 1 weekend the whole winter. Last year was more mild though this is shaping up to be the coldest winter in a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb5450 View Post
    Look into the hydroshot. Depending on how often you go to spray washes this will pay for itself in no time. I got a refurbished unit with a battery and all the tools for 80 dollars. I spend 3-5 at a spray wash per visit. In one winter I will break even. I have used the soap dispenser and even ran rinseless solution through the product, with great results.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    It has to be above freezing to use that but it is nice. What do you do about foam with that thing? I might buy one to add to the arsenal. It's not much money at least but if its warm enough for that It's warm enough for a pressure washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    If the temperature is above freezing even by 1 degree I do a normal 2 bucket wash with the pressure washer. The exact same thing I do in summer. I do it every weekend. Last year I only missed 1 weekend the whole winter. Last year was more mild though this is shaping up to be the coldest winter in a while.
    You're a braver man than I. I find washing even in the upper 40's to be rather miserable. My hands just get too cold when wet and I lose feeling in several fingers.

A pressure washer would be a big help I'm sure and would probably lower my threshold of temperatures. Going at it with the hose is a not starter in the cooler/cold temps.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast