autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire clay mitt and micro marring?

Can I expect the same level of micro marring with the blackfire mitt as I would with other good quality mitts or is there an improvement in that area with this m it? For example soapy water doesnt leave as nice a finish as clay lube does with any given mitt. Is it the same with bf mitt?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire clay mitt and micro marring?

It really depends on the hardness of the paint. Any of these clay "alternatives" will tend to micro-marr paint.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    It really depends on the hardness of the paint. Any of these clay "alternatives" will tend to micro-marr paint.
    No i know but I meant all things being equal. Will this mitt marr as much as the nanoskin mitt for example or is there some newer technology to prevent marring on this one?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

I agree.

How easy or how difficult it is to mar or scratch paint comes down to the paint as at least one important factor and because paint hardness and softness is an unknown variable with ALL cars there's no single simple answer.

My rule of thumb for my own cars is if I'm going to do ANY type of mechanical decontamination - then I'm already planning on and factored in the time to do at least one machine polishing step.

Mechanical decontamination = Detailing Clay or Nanoskin Mitt, Pad or Towel, Blackfire Clay Mitt, SONAX Claydisc, Griot's Surface Prep Mitts, etc.

5. Likes zmcgovern45, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I agree.

How easy or how difficult it is to mar or scratch paint comes down to the paint as at least one important factor and because paint hardness and softness is an unknown variable with ALL cars there's no single simple answer.

My rule of thumb for my own cars is if I'm going to do ANY type of mechanical decontamination - then I'm already planning on and factored in the time to do at least one machine polishing step.

Mechanical decontamination = Detailing Clay or Nanoskin Mitt, Pad or Towel, Blackfire Clay Mitt, SONAX Claydisc, Griot's Surface Prep Mitts, etc.

Yeah im getting ready to hit it with the mckees jeweling wax. Only the lower panels failed the baggie test im probably just going to use poly clay on them