autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Question regarding Megs Wheel Brightener..

I had a bit of a scare yesterday... I normally use 2 spray bottles of Megs D114 for claylube, but when I went back to grab them off my cart I looked down and I had picked up 1 bottle of D114 and 1 bottle of Wheel Brightener.. I immediately felt that sickening feeling...

The only part I had clayed so far was the windshield. So I dropped everything and grabbed my glass cleaner and began cleaning the windshield and inspecting it. I didn’t notice anything wrong with it...

I’m not completely certain I actually made the mistake of using the Wheel Brightener as claylube, the only reason that made me think I might’ve was the fact that the Wheel Brightener was hanging next to my bottle of D114 when I went back to grab both bottles and my 1st thought was that I would’ve put them back right next to each other. It definitely made for a gut wrenching moment of uncertainty, I can tell you that. Lol.

So my question is: What exactly happens to glass when you spray Wheel Brightener on it? I’ve heard you’re not supposed to..

P.s. My clay towel seems to have survived through it ok. So I’m pretty sure I didn’t actually make the mistake and most likely just put them back in different spots after I sprayed claylube on the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question regarding Megs Wheel Brightener..

It will etch glass......

Post Thanks / Like

I cleaned a windshield with Wheel Brightener once. My dad had poured some into a Megs window cleaner bottle because the sprayer stopped working on the wheel cleaner bottle.

It did etch the glass. Left it with a chalky looking haze to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I cleaned a windshield with Wheel Brightener once. My dad had poured some into a Megs window cleaner bottle because the sprayer stopped working on the wheel cleaner bottle.

It did etch the glass. Left it with a chalky looking haze to it.
    When I 1st inspected the windshield that’s how it appeared, luckily the haze was on the inside and everything turned out fine.. I’m feeling pretty certain now that I didn’t accidentally use it.

5. Likes DBAILEY, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's good. It sounds like it didn't sit on the glass for too long if you did accidentally use it. I could definitely tell something was wrong with the glass. In my case it sat on the glass for a while too. I thought it was a terrible glass cleaner when I used it and that smell didn't register as Megs has some stinky powerful chemical scents in many of their cleaners. Then I asked my dad which glass cleaner it was in the bottle and he told me it was the wheel cleaner. It had been at least 30-45 min since cleaning the window and then flushing it with water. I think it was DG NuGlass and an old orange pad I used to make the window look better again. So that etching must have been very shallow.

7. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post