autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I might kill myself if I don't replace my step stool with something better.

Try the Cramer Kik Step rolling stool. Amazon for about $50. When you step on or sit on it depresses to floor and is stable. I use it to work on top of car, might be a little low for truck or SUV depending on your height. Also very handy to sit on when working on side panels, etc. It is about 6-8 inches lower than my Werner bench.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I might kill myself if I don't replace my step stool with something better.

To call me 'vertically challenged' is an understatement. I have an inexpensive 3-step stool from Cosco, which works fairly well. My next investment will be a podium ladder from Werner. They're stable to work from, come in a variety of step heights, and can even accommodate a detachable tray. They're a little more money, but still cheaper than a trip to the ER

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Werner platform I purchased 4 years ago for about 30$ at the local Home Hardware (or some other large hardware store).

It has a locking mechanism on both legs so it cannot fold by itself. These things are a must for SUVs and vans... I guess you could use a step ladder but having to reposition it several times to do the roof seems like a huge waste of time and energy. With a platform you have to reposition it once for each side of the roof. So it's not that bad. Maybe some platforms are longer, not sure. Minde is about 3 feet long so I can do the front side of the roof then reposition it to the back side. Then again on the other side of the truck.

Found picture of it on Amazon, but these things should be easy to find at most hardware stores.
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1280_.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

^^ that looks like the exact one I have. I use that and the rear tires on SUV's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tattooman View Post
    I've been using a small folding step stool for reaching the roof and windshield of my truck for washing etc. But today I was leaning over the truck a little, and the ladder started to fold back down and knock me off my feet. So I need to ditch that stool and just use it for around the house stuff but not cleaning a truck.

What do you guys use that is safe to stand on to reach over trucks ? Whatever it is, I cannot afford it to fold down or wiggle or collapse if I put a little english on it.

Thanks.
    Ditch the ladder.front part open door place a towel on Sill step up one or two swipes close the door.For the rear step on rear tire and practically soap up the whole roof.I never use a latter or bought one in 25 years.I only use latter's on planes but the sides are wrapped in eggcrate and shrink wrap.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I might kill myself if I don't replace my step stool with something better.-photo0088-jpg

This has served me well for years.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

today i was using the platform and apparently i didn't have one side secure and it collapsed and i ended up falling on my back onto the platform. the platform had banged into the passenger rear door and my heart sank into my stomach. luckily i had the foam all around the platform and it didn't cause any damage as i not only looked closely as i washed/dryed the car, but once again after wiping it down in the garage and closely looking with an LED light. what i'm trying to say is, put the foam (tied down with zip ties) around the platform (i mentioned this in another thread) just in case a slip or accident happens. at some point it will happen to all of us...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    today i was using the platform and apparently i didn't have one side secure and it collapsed and i ended up falling on my back onto the platform. the platform had banged into the passenger rear door and my heart sank into my stomach. luckily i had the foam all around the platform and it didn't cause any damage as i not only looked closely as i washed/dryed the car, but once again after wiping it down in the garage and closely looking with an LED light. what i'm trying to say is, put the foam (tied down with zip ties) around the platform (i mentioned this in another thread) just in case a slip or accident happens. at some point it will happen to all of us...
    Glad to hear everything is ok. You’re lucky, considering you’re probably the only 1 who’s got padding around the platform. I considered doing that, but IMO it would make it too bulky and awkward.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to get one of those gorilla platforms but I have a 3 or 4ft gorilla ladder that’s super light so I usually move it twice per side nbd. Leave it standing around with nice platform for supplies. The platform seemed like a hassle for a one man crew to put up and move.

Post Thanks / Like

I can also vouch for the Gorilla platform from Home Depot. Chances are that you got a gift card for Christmas. Spend a little extra and get the 300 lb model.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast