autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a quality drying towel

Quote Originally Posted by georgeallen1 View Post
    Anyone rocking the waffle weaves? I just bought a bunch of megs water magnets and dry me a rivers. Seeing the PFM is popular choice but not looking to spend anymore in drying towels atm...
    Waffle weaves have worked for years. No need to buy more towels. Dont use pressure on the towels and maring will be minimal to non-existant. You'll just need more towels as compared to a PFM style towel. Save up for next year around blackfriday and you can get towels at 40-50% off if you watch the sales on AGO or Autopia.

Well thats what I told myself before the drying towel review that I'm working on and now I have 45 + drying towels and more buffing towels than I can reasonably use; its an addiction!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post
    Likes MattPersman, DogRescuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of you should seriously consider switching to air dry methods. $50 electric corded blower will do and will last for years and multi-purpose.

4. Thanks DogRescuer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone rocking the waffle weaves? I just bought a bunch of megs water magnets and dry me a rivers. Seeing the PFM is popular choice but not looking to spend anymore in drying towels atm...
    I’ve got several waffle weaves and never shy away from using them. I’m comfortable enough to wipe paint dry with them, never a problem as long as things are clean.

6. Likes JCDetails, wgasa84, DogRescuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’ve got several waffle weaves and never shy away from using them. I’m comfortable enough to wipe paint dry with them, never a problem as long as things are clean.
    Same here. Nothing but waffles and pluffles for me. I can get 2x2pk of 16x30 pluffles for the cost of the PFMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing against terry weave microfiber, but there’s something about the look of these dense fibers, especially in this color that always makes me wonder if the towel is even clean enough to use on perfect paint [unless I know it’s fresh from the dryer] or whether it could be holding onto tiny debris like a twig that could wind up scratching the paint..

Waffle weaves are alot easier to inspect prior to use and I can see when they’re dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

Well,I may have found the Achille's Heel/Kryptonite of the PFM towel. I actually managed to get streaks for the first time. Mainly on glass,but also on the paint a little. They were quickly remedied with a wipe from a plush MF towel,but still a mark against an awesome product.

There is more the story perhaps though. This towel was the 2nd one I got. It was a birthday gift from my wife. I had used it once,and then let it air dry to be used again It was not prewashed,and I didn't do that for the first PFM I purchased either. I pulled my wife's G8 in our garage to do a rinseless wash with Duragloss rinseless. It was COLD outside so I plugged my heater in and let the garage heat up for a few hours before I started to wash the car. The only other thing different than normal was that I used 3 gallons of drinking water out of jugs leftover from my parent's anniversary. They were taking up space so I used them up. They were left in the garage,and they were cold as well. Very cold.

I had streaking from the start,and the towel seem to get more saturated than usual. Pretty quickly too. The other towel had been used outside in fairly cool and damp weather,and it dried like a champ with whatever product you used.

Now,is this the towel,the wax in the DG,the cool water in a somewhat heated garage,or all of the above? My other PFM was dirty so I couldn't use it for comparison. The first use of the towel was last week on my Formula which was washed with ONR,and it dried like a champ. It was not nearly as cool,and I didn't have my heater going either. Used tap water on it also.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is your problems are the weather and the products. Towels will work the same regardless of the temperature.

Several years ago I attempted to do waterless washes in my garage in the winter to keep my car looking nice. The product was a streaky mess and took a lot of effort to use in the cold temperatures. I've also noticed other products I've used reliably in warmer weather start to become more difficult once the weather heads below 50*F. Add high humidity to the cold, like we have in my area and the problems get even worse.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the dry me a river is better then pfm. I use me pfm's for drying the trim I think they are perfect for that. I like the 70/30 waffle weaves on paint any day of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Nothing against terry weave microfiber, but there’s something about the look of these dense fibers, especially in this color that always makes me wonder if the towel is even clean enough to use on perfect paint [unless I know it’s fresh from the dryer] or whether it could be holding onto tiny debris like a twig that could wind up scratching the paint..

Waffle weaves are alot easier to inspect prior to use and I can see when they’re dirty.
    The pfm towels are twist loop weave not terry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cay7man View Post
    Some of you should seriously consider switching to air dry methods. $50 electric corded blower will do and will last for years and multi-purpose.
    Why its loud, annoying and not much faster. Plus towel drying should theoretically get it cleaner... Plus a lot of people like to use drying aids so in that case it will definitely look better then blow drying. There are pro's and con's to everything and they aren't the same for everyone.

I could buy the best car drier out there right now if I wanted to money is not the issue or whats stopping me from getting a car drier. I actually already have 1 but i dont really ever use it. I sheet the water off the car then there's hardly any left I dry it quick from there.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast