autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car !! ceramic coating question

Done a dealer trade for a new car i was looking for, as it had the transmission i was after, which couldn't be found locally. Anyway cutting a long story short, when the car was delivered, i found out that they applied a product called 'auto bond'. http://autobondsealant.com/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo010c-UbXY Tried calling them and no surprises here but its a voice mail only. Anyway I'm going to presume that they've probably taken a generic ceramic coating and applied it, All the dealers that are all probably owned by the same person, is 'offering' this added protection for god knows how much... Anyway given they're saying no more need to wax / protection for 5yrs, i'm going to presume they've added a ceramic coating. Personally the car looks like absolute crap, swirls from head to tail ! For a car that only has 35miles on the clock it's pretty disappointing. My guess is that it sat on the lot at the dealer in central FL for 4 months, and went through their automatic car wash.

So i was going to give it my usual in way of a full detail, start off with a clay, then compound then polish to get rid of all those nasty swirls, then my favorite Collnite 845 and call it good. But don't know enough about ceramic coatings. Do i have the potential of making the swirls worse ? or just go about my normal business, and treat it like another clear coat on the factory clear coat ? and do the above.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car !! ceramic coating question

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
    So i was going to give it my usual in way of a full detail, start off with a clay, then compound then polish to get rid of all those nasty swirls, then my favorite Collnite 845 and call it good. But don't know enough about ceramic coatings. Do i have the potential of making the swirls worse ? or just go about my normal business, and treat it like another clear coat on the factory clear coat ? and do the above.
    I would do a test spot, odds are you'll find that it should clear up. If your test spot proves worthy, do the rest of the vehicle and apply your LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to easily remove it with compound. I have read two scenarios where the coating absolutely would not come off with anything but sanding.
    While not a real scientific test, or an absolute guarantee the coating is gone. If you go ahead and compound and polish the hood then run water on it, not high pressure just normal hose if the water slowly sheets off it's a sign it's gone.
    Others may have better methods, this is a pretty simple test that can give you useful information.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, on your new ride. What make and color?

Since the coating is micro thin, treat it like regular clear coat and you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coatings are about 1 micron thick if applied correctlly. So a polish should be able to remove it. A compound would be faster at it if you want to do the extra step.

Congrats on the new car.

Post Thanks / Like

There are not many if any coatings that cannot be removed with a good polish job, then apply whatever you want to the car.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post
    There are not many if any coatings that cannot be removed with a good polish job, then apply whatever you want to the car.

HUMP
    There are a few. Here is one I was referring to. Crystal Serum is another. I agree with there aren't many, but obviously at least a couple.

Ridiculous situation I came across today
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like it’s just a sealant hence the name sealant in the actual name.

Should have no issues polishing it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Seems like it’s just a sealant hence the name sealant in the actual name.

Should have no issues polishing it off.
    A five year sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, my biggest worry is that they applied this coating to an already swirled up car thus making it much harder to get the swirls out. Maybe the car was on the lot for a couple of months, and regularly going through their dreaded automatic car wash as the dealers do to all their cars on the lot, then they thought, lets put on the auto-bond package, which includes pin stripping (which i immediately took off!!) mud flaps and a tint, oh and this auto bond product.

Car is a Pearl black VW Gti Autobahn. I like to detail my cars to perfection, so i hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew getting a black car lol... Only picked it up this week, so need to work on dropping the suspension this weekend, and a good clay, compound, polish and wax job, before i can really enjoy her ! I should also mention i have a Meg's MT300 and the foam cutting and polishing pads. I've only used Megs Ultimate Compound and Polish for compound and polishing. Waxes i've tried all sorts, but Collnite is my go to !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast