autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluid on my paint

I had an issue with my truck today and blew something in the engine area. I got some fluids on the front grill / bumper and wanted to know if it was safe to use an apc on the paint for that or if a soap cannon will soak in and dissolve it off ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fluid on my paint

Anyone got any advice ? Yall have been great so far, but I got my car back from the shop now and I need to get this transmission fluid off the bumper and side panels. Its everywhere.. i don't want to go to harsh but i don't think a normal wash will take this stuff out.

3. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would get it off there quickly. An APC diluted property should be fine. You may need a degreaser depending on what it is, an APC should be fine for that. I wouldn't let it sit on the paint too long, but you should be fine. Follow up with a regular wash. Be thankful it wasn't brake fluid...
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

would you dilute it 10:1 or more ? Also would you spray directly on the paint or better off spraying the towel and wiping it down ?

Post Thanks / Like

Try 10:1, if that doesn't work mix it a little stronger. What kind of APC is it?? Spray it right on the transmission fluid, and obviously some will get on the paint. Agitate it a little and rinse.

Post Thanks / Like

If it’s on painted plastic I would spray the towel.

If you do spray the bumper, spray the bottom most area first then upper areas.

Basically don’t spray and let it run down on to dry paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the coin op and hit it with soap. They use warmer water and it comes right off. I've done alot to my diesel and I've have every fluid imaginable in it and always got it off. If your that worried pick your least favorite microfiber and use some a little dawn dish soap...you all can shun me if you want but I've had far worse things on my paint. Trans fluid is very thin it would probably come off with regular car soap and a wash mitt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    Go to the coin op and hit it with soap. They use warmer water and it comes right off. I've done alot to my diesel and I've have every fluid imaginable in it and always got it off. If your that worried pick your least favorite microfiber and use some a little dawn dish soap...you all can shun me if you want but I've had far worse things on my paint. Trans fluid is very thin it would probably come off with regular car soap and a wash mitt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Agree with this. Easy to take off with soap and wash mitt. I like the idea of just go to coin op and blast it away with force and soap. That'll do the trick.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

If you are uncertain to use diluted apc. By some insect remover and a tar remover and go to a coin op if you don't have a pressure wash. Start with the tar remover and spray over the places you have the fluid on and down to the bottom of the car so it wont adhere to the paint. When the dwell is done just spray the insect remover over it and let that dwell to. Then rinse it of with alot of water starting from the bottom and work your way up and finish with rinse all residue of. The one thing you are going to be carefull with is to not let it dry! Work at a area you can control so it not is going to dry. After rinsing wash the area with car schampo so you neutralise the insect remover and tar remover. Then apply your protection of choice to the area you are working on.
    Insect remover is a ready use apc and desolves organic based oils and the tar remover desolves mineral oils. So don't be afraid to use APC diluted to the strongest dilution and use a tar degreaser. The only thing to be carefull is it's not to dry on the paint and plastic. And it's strong to your protection so ad some more protection is recommended if you don't have a coating or a newly applyied sealant then it will hold up to them. If you see it starts to dry just apply more to it and you are fine.

In the winter I use both alkaline products as APC and tar degreaser when washing cars as a prewash. So I get it as clean as possible before touching the paint when washing.

11. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a few good ideas for you. Sorry it took two days to get any response, not the norm. Were you able to get it off??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast