autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question HD Speed or D166 and LC ThinPros to start

For a softer paint (Kia, Subaru), I'm wondering what set of pad colors to buy/start with for either of these two AIO's.

I was thinking a set of Blacks and Whites. The Red might not be helpful for other than applying a wax or sealant and I thought maybe the Black could be used for that anyway.

This will be my first go at machine correction. I get that I should get one pad per panel, so that's about a dozen of each color. Just not sure what colors to get.

I do understand to start with the least aggressive setup.

My Kia has mild swirling whereas my 12-year-old Subaru is worse off.

I'd be using a HF or GG6 DA with an LC 5" backing plate.

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed or D166 and LC ThinPros to start

Thinpros run Gray --> Orange --> White --> Black --> Red

Red pads I would only use for product spreading. Sealant/wax etc.

Black pads are really soft as well. Maybe that's where you start with the Kia as the pad itself provides no cut but the product still would.

I've had great luck with white and orange thinpros both cutting well and finishing very well on a variety of paint finishes.

General knowledge seems to lean toward HD Speed's protection lasting longer than that of D166. If I can play devil's advocate, you may want to give Mckee's 360 a shot as well. Any one of the three will work great with the thinpros.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've heard that HD Speed has very good protection longevity, but maybe the D166 is still too new to say it's less than the HD?

How do you feel the MK360 fairs comparatively?

As for the pads, it seems like it would be good for me to have a mix of the black, white and orange. Maybe start with 6 of each and see how each group fairs on each vehicle. I'll be primarily using these on family vehicles of which we have the Kia, Subaru and a Honda.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that HD Speed has very good protection longevity, but maybe the D166 is still too new to say it's less than the HD?

How do you feel the MK360 fairs comparatively?

As for the pads, it seems like it would be good for me to have a mix of the black, white and orange. Maybe start with 6 of each and see how each group fairs on each vehicle. I'll be primarily using these on family vehicles of which we have the Kia, Subaru and a Honda.

I have multiple clients and my wife's vehicle all showing great finish and still protection after anywhere from 4-5 months after having 360 applied.

I had narrowed to 360 and Speed, and went with 360 first just because. I have a bottle of Speed sitting and waiting now that I'll be comparing to see which I like better.

Personally, I can't ever see a situation where I'd need the gray thinpro and would probably instead look toward a MF cutting pad in those cases. I think your plan is good so far. If you have compressed air available, cleaning on the fly with a blow-out will help stretch how far a single pad can go.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I don't have compressed air, yet.

Have you found any pad staining with the MK360?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, significant pink staining with 360. Doesn't bother me though, you can clean the pad and keep using it, or dedicate those pads to 360.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, i wonder if peppermint soap or oxyclean would clean that out? Followed by a water-only soak/rinse.

Post Thanks / Like

The new Blackfire One Step is another great choice. https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-t...lish-seal.html

Orange and White ThinPro pads would be perfect for a One Step product. https://www.autogeek.net/lake-countr...inch-pads.html

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby, thanks! More choices for analysis paralysis! lol

After just reading some back-to-back reviews on HD Speed vs MK360, I'm starting to think they're the essentially the same stuff in the bottle.

The only pseudo-AIO's I've used were all by hand, Meg's Cleaner Wax and Optimum's Poli-seal. What I want is a decent correction, but high durability. My washes will top with Opti-seal as a drying aid, so it'll help the sealants along too.

I might also get the Jescar Compound and Polish too incase I feel a dedicated 2-step works better for me. Then I'd probably top with Opti-Seal for now until I decide to put a on a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used 360, Speed and D166. As far as cut, I thought D166 was the best, followed by 360 and Speed. Longevity goes to 360 hands down. I've seen protection last 6 months with 360. As far as gloss and slickness, neither 360 nor D166 comes close to Speed.

12. Likes mwoywod liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast