autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying Opti Coat Gloss on wheels but cant see it

First time applying opti coat. These are brand new wheels, no tires on them. So I didnt have to do any cleaning besides taking a clean microfiber towel and wipe any dust speckles off.

Anyways, following the instructions of 8-10 drops per panel (converting that to per wheel), I literally cannot see any opti coat "haze" past 10-15% of surface area of the wheel. For example when I m doing the barrel inside, it takes 4 times to cover it in a circular motion (so 4 rows) and past 1st row, the haze no longer shows up. I dont know if I m not putting enough drop or drops are drying on the pad or what I m doing wrong.

And I am using a very powerful LED headlight so its not lack of light. This is the 10cc opti coat gloss that everyone sells.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying Opti Coat Gloss on wheels but cant see it

Maybe the gloss coat probably does not appear the same way on metal as it does on the clear coat of paint? I use gloss coat on my wheels. Best thing I ever did. Now I literally just rinse them, no scrubbing or brushing.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though your wheels are new, and just to be on the safe side , I would see if they needed to be clayed. It may not necessary but make the determination just in case, a definite must IMHO is a quick IPA wipe down. On to Gloss Coat, when applied properly Gloss Coat shouldn't leave any high spot. Its begins to "level" on its own, then if you do have any high spots gently wipe with clean MF towel to spread the high spot, I typically just go back over the high spot with the application to spread it out. You may have too much light, some coatings are hard to see with too much light (depends on paint color as well) it may need to diffused to get the best view. If you still cant see the coating leveling just give them a gentle but thorough wipe down a couple of min after application.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
    Even though your wheels are new, and just to be on the safe side , I would see if they needed to be clayed. It may not necessary but make the determination just in case, a definite must IMHO is a quick IPA wipe down. On to Gloss Coat, when applied properly Gloss Coat shouldn't leave any high spot. Its begins to "level" on its own, then if you do have any high spots gently wipe with clean MF towel to spread the high spot, I typically just go back over the high spot with the application to spread it out. You may have too much light, some coatings are hard to see with too much light (depends on paint color as well) it may need to diffused to get the best view. If you still cant see the coating leveling just give them a gentle but thorough wipe down a couple of min after application.
    The problem is there are just NO spots. Like literally I am wiping it on the wheel and dont see anything. I m afraid of using too much though.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And the other question I had was, how soon I can mount tires on the wheels after opti gloss?

And when you say IPA, can I use off the shelf (from CVS) 70 or 90% alcohol from the first aid isle?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, get the 90%. It makes it easier to guesstimate your ratios being close to 100%. Mix it with distilled water at a 20-30%.

Does it feel like the applicator is gliding on a wet surface when you are applying the Gloss Coat or a dry panel? Use you eyes and the feel of how the applicator is gliding to decide when the it has become too dry and needs to be reloaded.

Post Thanks / Like

When coating wheels I just lay it on thick. I figure the wheels really need the protection so I'm not shy with the coating. Even with good lighting I usually only notice high spots on the creases or crevices of the wheels and give them a light wipe.

Which applicator are you using? Maybe you're using too little and the applicator is absorbing too much. Just apply the coating drops directly onto the wheel and use the primed applicator to lightly spread it out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RayVega View Post
    When coating wheels I just lay it on thick. I figure the wheels really need the protection so I'm not shy with the coating. Even with good lighting I usually only notice high spots on the creases or crevices of the wheels and give them a light wipe.

Which applicator are you using? Maybe you're using too little and the applicator is absorbing too much. Just apply the coating drops directly onto the wheel and use the primed applicator to lightly spread it out.
    Thanks I am using the blue applicator that it comes with.

when is it safe for me to get the tires mounted? How many days should I wait?

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of wheels? No matter if they are painted, powder coated chrome or aluminum, they should get an IPA wipe down before applying any coating.

Have not looked at any new mounting tire devices lately, but the outer lip will probably get marred, but I wouldn't be concerned.

I would wait at least a day or two before mounting your tires.

Post Thanks / Like

You should keep them chemical free for at least a week......most of the wheel would be fine during mounting though the lips may get lube on them especially if they are low profile so, to be on the safe side I'd wait a week.