autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

For you cold weather guys Last

This may seem crazy but it’s getting pretty cold out in Florida to be playing with water outside. Last winter I barley got through it....

how in the he11 do you cold weather mobile guys work in the temperatures below 50 degrees??

my hands would freeze when washing a car last year, I looked into waterproof gloves but I never could find anything.

Do you habe gloves you recommend to keep your hands warm and dry?

How do you stay warm?

jeans, sweatpants, track pants? What do you wear on your legs? Jeans I figure restrict a lot of movement, track pants might not keep you warm enough.

Just thinking

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For you cold weather guys Last

50 hah!

I roll up the sleeves on my sweatshirt at 50 degrees

You get used to cold weather. When I wash in the mid-high 30’s, I wear a medium weight fleece, stocking hat, and light weight rubber/water resistant insulated boots. No gloves and the most important factor is warm/hot water in my buckets. I definitely work faster in the winter. It sucks but beats paying $10-12 for the inferior touchless wash.

BTW, I’m not a mobile detailer. Just a guy with way too many detailing products and just enough knowledge to be very dangerous

3. Likes DBAILEY, Misterpaul, Hammer77, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You must be in the north part of Florida because anywhere in the south is still in the high 60s even after dark these days, and in the 80s during the day. That's not cold at all.

5. Thanks bill walsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a mobile detailer but here in Canada when it gets especially cold, I wear latex gloves just as a general rule when playing with chemicals but in the winter time, I still wear latex gloves and wash the car as is with whatever rinse less solution. I might power wash the car first depending on temperature but generally I just use a dripping wet wash medium to wash and dry each panel bit by bit.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I’m in Jax/st. Aug with highs in the low 50s upper 40s next week I’m freaking out lol
    Idk where you’re getting 80s in the day and 60s at night maybe like homestead but Orlando and Tampa are running hi 60s low 40s.

I had surgery on my right hand and a plate put in years ago and when it gets cold I can feel my hand starting to like freeze up so gloves have been a main focus for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a pair of SealSkinz gloves to help in the cold weather, about time to get a new pair because they are starting to fail in the waterproof department. They are probably 5 years old.

As LEDetailing said you get used to the cold, I usually wear jeans (the stretchable kind are awesome even if they aren't as durable as a normal pair), lightweight jacket, winter hat, and the gloves. I use warm water in my wash/rinse buckets but cold water in the hose. The hot freezes too fast on cold vehicles.
    Tim 2014 Ram 1500 2005 Triumph Tiger
    FLICKR Instagram

9. Thanks TomboyRC thanked for this post
    Likes DogRescuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the Jax/St. Augustine area, too, and it's definitely much cooler than a few weeks ago. Not cold, like it was when I lived in NY.

Maybe look into amazon for some really good water proof gloves - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...erproof+gloves

Perhaps you can also look into a rinse-less wash, might make things a bit easier.
    Like music? Take a listen to mine - https://open.spotify.com/artist/7pWqQ66bxR8J8IYGQPQXrD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityAutoSpa View Post
    Yea I’m in Jax/st. Aug with highs in the low 50s upper 40s next week I’m freaking out lol
    Idk where you’re getting 80s in the day and 60s at night maybe like homestead but Orlando and Tampa are running hi 60s low 40s.
    In SW FL, such as Marco Island, Naples, it has been in the 80s almost every day for a while now and stays high in the 60s overnight. I keep checking the current weather conditions constantly because I'm going to be on Marco Island for a week at the end of this month, it's currently 82 on the Island with an overnight low of 72 Maybe you just need to move further south in Florida

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday it was 41 and I had a car to wash.

I wear Carhartt coveralls.
    Waterproof boots
    I have a shelter I can set up.
    I sometimes use a propane heater inside the shelter.
    I use warm water in the buckets.
    Thermos of hot coffee.
    Use a garage anytime one is available at the customer's place.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea true swfl Naples ft Myers is like the only small sliver of state that stays warm. Even Miami gets chilly. I used to live in Orlando but family problems had to come back to north Florida. Do not like the weather here at all!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast