autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polished Aluminum Wheel care.

Hello All!!

As some of you may know I recently purchased an Explorer and it came with polished aluminum wheels. This is my first car with these types of wheels and not sure how to care for them. So far I have cleaned them with Sonax full effect wheel cleaner and clayed them to take off some tar they had. I have also put hydro blue on them to protect them.

What is the best way to protect these wheels and is there any way to polish the little swirl marks off of them? It drives me nuts when the sun hits them and I see all of the swirl marks.

Thanks for all of your help and great advice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polished Aluminum Wheel care.

If they’re polished aluminum wheels, shouldn’t they shine like chrome? Have you tried using some metal polish on them? Not only would it transform the shine, but it might diminish those fine scratches. I recommend the Britemax Final Shine Metal Polish & Sealant. Stuff is good!

Also, investing in 1 of these metal polishing cones is a no brainer.

3. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    If they’re polished aluminum wheels, shouldn’t they shine like chrome? Have you tried using some metal polish on them? Not only would it transform the shine, but it might diminish those fine scratches. I recommend the Britemax Final Shine Metal Polish & Sealant. Stuff is good!

Also, investing in 1 of these metal polishing cones is a no brainer.

That looks awesome!!!

I tried a little of Coliinite's metal wax on them and it did not do much, but I did not go too aggressively since I wasn't sure if it would damage the wheels. Now I'll try it and see if it helps.

Thank you!!

5. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did they come with those scratches pre instilled? Where they caused by the claying? What kind of wheel brush do you use? IMO it’s best to use a wash mitt to clean aluminum wheels and that’s only if you have to agitate.

Britemax also makes a stronger metal polish that could be ticket to removing those scratches. I’ve never used that 1 though.

7. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did they come with those scratches pre instilled? Where they caused by the claying? What kind of wheel brush do you use? IMO it’s best to use a wash mitt to clean aluminum wheels and that’s only if you have to agitate.

Britemax also makes a stronger metal polish that could be ticket to removing those scratches. I’ve never used that 1 though.
    They wheels came with the scratches and they had tar deposits all over them, not sure how since it only had 14 miles when I bought it. I always use a wash mitt and use the 2 bucket method for my wheels too. I did a light claying with mothers speed clay and I did not see any marring afterward.

I'll look into the brightmax thank you!

9. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    That looks awesome!!!

I tried a little of Coliinite's metal wax on them and it did not do much, but I did not go too aggressively since I wasn't sure if it would damage the wheels. Now I'll try it and see if it helps.

Thank you!!

I’ve never used that Colinite Metal Wax, but reading the description just now says that it’s a non abrasive metal cleaner wax. Most of the reviews talk about chrome wheels. The 1 review where it was used on aluminum mentioned a far from perfect finish due to haze.

If you’re in a pinch and want to experiment with them, Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish also works great and can be found locally. Use a new terry applicator or a microfiber applicator and microfiber towels to buff it off.

11. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Polished Aluminum Wheel care.

And not that I’m doubting your knowledge on the wheels, but 1st and foremost make sure they’re really bare metal before using any metal polish on them. You know how to test for that right? Wipe some polish on them and if it turns the applicator black you’re good to go. If not then stop because they’re coated and metal polish is not to be used on them.

13. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And not that I’m doubting your knowledge on the wheels, but 1st and foremost make sure they’re really bare metal before using any metal polish on them. You know how to test for that right? Wipe some polish on them and if it turns the applicator black you’re good to go. If not then stop because they’re coated and metal polish is not to be used on them.
    Thank you!!! I did not know that trick, I'll test it out next time I wash the car. Collinite is the only metal polish I have, so I'll go out and get some mothers tomorrow. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Thank you!!! I did not know that trick, I'll test it out next time I wash the car. Collinite is the only metal polish I have, so I'll go out and get some mothers tomorrow. Thanks again!

Get yourself a Mother's Cone to be used with a drill. Will save you a ton of time.

16. Thanks DETAILROOKIE thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This. I bet these are just painted in a hyper silver finish and clear coated.
    Bruno Soares

18. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast