autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those that have coatings

I do not top Coatings.
    {To do so is actionable, IMO.}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I usually don't top them. I have tried a couple Si02 washes and a couple QD's with Si02. When I coat mine the next time I won't be using anything on top of it. I don't want anything to interfere with the hydrophobic and self cleaning properties of the coating.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

I coated my Saturn with CQUK in August and havent topped it. Also I just washed it after neglecting it for over a month and it washed up easy and dried just the same with a leaf blower. Still going well.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I have a professional ceramic coating installed on both mine and the wife's daily drivers. I wash with reset and top with ech2o, reload, I essence plus polished some high spots, I have put wdgps on one of them....I really mess with both all of the time. They both bead and shed water well still. I will say ech2o seems to sheet better than reload but not by a lot. I also quick detail with a combo of ech2o and reload. I ceramic coated them to help with wash and qd induced swirls. Seems to be working so far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my feedback.

When I had PBL V2 on my mom's car, the coating itself was doing so well that it did not need a topper. I purchased the coating booster and used it every few months just to use it. Other than that it was a simple wash and dry with the turbo car dryer. I did use ech2o the year it came out as a drying aid (QD mix). I never used a wax or sealant on PBL V2 coating.

With Ameriarmour on my Camaro, I used things such as quick detailers, spray waxes (that were sent for review), Cure, Reload and Ech20 most recently just to test out between the two toppers. Ameriarmour itself was an acrylic based coating and it lost it's pizazz and I was just looking to limp along until I re-polish and re-coat.

On my grand prix, I recently used Sonax CC36 ceramic coating and there is one area that is not being topped with anything. Other than using N914 as a drying aid. I am using Brilliant Shine Detailer every 2-3 months on the other areas to see how that affects the coatings performance. Sticking with the same family in products. I may try one area with polymer net shield at the 6 month mark per Sonax stating that it shares similar chemistry with the coating to act as a booster.

On my dad's car that currently has gloss coat, I ended up topping it with cure. I use ech20 weekly as a drying aid. The reason being that gloss coat was having performance issues. The car will be re-coated in the next few weeks.

On my mom's car I used Gyeon Q2 primer polish and Gyeon CanCoat. I recently topped that with cure a few weeks ago and use ech20 as a drying aid on a weekly/bi-weekly basis.

My brothers car also had Ameriarmour and that lost a lot of it's punch after the first year. Again underwhelmed with the paint coating in the long term. It too was topped with Cure until it was re-polished prior to selling it.

All cars are washed with CarPro Reset, Megs Hyper Wash, D114 or N914. I did use ONR with gloss coat for awhile but ended up going back to N914 and D114.

If i do top a coating I will use the recommended maintenance product from the same manufacturer. I do not use waxes or sealants on any coating.

6. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes Loach, JustJesus, DetailedByPrecision liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In terms of performance, a coating does not need to be topped. However, in the past and especially in the summer time, I've added a thin layer of black label synergy to my coated car before just for the looks alone. It wears off in about two months anyways so I'm not too concerned about it affecting too much since again, this is just for looks alone.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Had my car professionally coated about 3 weeks ago and have only washed once using Gyeon Bathe + which contains sio2.
    I will be getting myself ech20 for qd purposes and mixes it with reload to keep the coating topped up. Any ideas how much reload to apply in a 500ml mixture? The ech20 qd ratio is 20:1

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Both vehicles coated and I do mostly coatings for customers.

Top my car most all the time with a very light mist of product and then wipe it off with a mildly damp 480GSM rag. My topper is what I call "blue juice" and is Distilled water with ECH20 mixed up at 1:20 and in 32oz bottle I fill it to about 27oz then add 2-3oz of Reload. Lasts forever and gives the car a very slick feel. Works great for me.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

10. Thanks Commander2874 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another coating user here who does not top with anything. To me, topping a coating and constantly fussing over it defeats the purpose of using a coating. I'll keep the vehicles clean with frequent washings, but that's it.

I use a QD as a drying aid and water spot remover, but I highly doubt anything left behind would last very long, let alone be considered a topper.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Ceramic Pro installed(yes, I know...I know), and I didn't top it for the first 8 months or so. Eventually, I hit it with Reload(both play well together) two washes in a row after that in the drying process. A nice feature/ability of Reload might I add, especially in the interest of time. I haven't done this in about 10-12 washes now and still beading like day one, maybe a little better even. I also use ECO2o @ 1:10 as a drying lubricant/QD for in between washes and such. Also plays well with the CP.

Due to battle scars acquired in 2017, the car is going under the scalpel come spring. If the CP goes with them, so be it.

Shampoos: Reset, Megs D110, or CG Citrus Daily Wash.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast