autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New DA polisher question

I just recently purchased my first DA polisher! woohoo the days of doing things by hand is over lol. Anyways my question. Ive clayed my vehicle recently and then applied wax to protect it. Now since i have the DA, i wasnt planning on claying it again since its within 2 weeks, but i was wondering if its ok to polish without taking that wax layer off or claying again? just trying to save some time if i can. Thanks!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New DA polisher question

Yes you can go straight to polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! thanks for the reply!

Post Thanks / Like

I clay 1x per year on both a garaged car and a parked outside car. In between, following a wash, I go straight to a polish. But I have been thinking about this lately. I understand that I need to remove the last of the was/sealant before applying new wax/sealant. Generally, I use a dish detergent or mix some apc in with the car wash soap to accomplish this. But I'm not sure/confident that I have removed this layer of old wax/sealant, so I generally machine polish "to be sure". However, the cars generally don't need that polishing step since I'm not swirling the paint during washes and there's really no "correction" needed. Is polishing in this way harmful to the clear coat/paint?

Post Thanks / Like

If you're paint doesn't have many 'defects' such as swirls, water spotting, etc., then, you can use something like this https://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html (amongst all the other products recommended/tested/tried) to just remove the old wax/sealant, rather than having to use a swirl remover, then polish, then seal. That's what I plan to do on my wife's car, as her cars' paint is pretty clean from what I can tell both under hard light from the Sun, and while parked under a BR30 LED in the garage.

Wash, use PC with the WG product I linked (on a LC CCS white pad), and then apply the sealant (LC CCS blue pad). Let cure (overnight), buff off, and then switch to a jewelling pad (LC CCS yellow) and apply some paste wax (Dodo Juice Blue velvet) as my LSP (though, some may not want to apply a wax over sealant. I just like to, sometimes).

I was going to do it this coming weekend, but, my neck muscles have a serious knot in them...which is preventing me from tackling that project. If it gets better, I'll consider doing just as I mentioned.
    Like music? Take a listen to mine - https://open.spotify.com/artist/7pWqQ66bxR8J8IYGQPQXrD

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing will definitely take the wax layer off. So, if you do polish, you'll need to wax again afterward. Waxing is always the last step (aside from quick detailing sprays on occasion).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMak97008 View Post
    I clay 1x per year on both a garaged car and a parked outside car. In between, following a wash, I go straight to a polish. But I have been thinking about this lately. I understand that I need to remove the last of the was/sealant before applying new wax/sealant. Generally, I use a dish detergent or mix some apc in with the car wash soap to accomplish this. But I'm not sure/confident that I have removed this layer of old wax/sealant, so I generally machine polish "to be sure". However, the cars generally don't need that polishing step since I'm not swirling the paint during washes and there's really no "correction" needed. Is polishing in this way harmful to the clear coat/paint?
    Like Inthedeck said, use a paint cleaner that has no abrasives, but will clean the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok next question, I’m using megs ultimate polish, and by the time I go over 4-6 passes and try to take the polish off some has already dried and I’m having to use a quick detail to get it off. Any reason why this is happening? Or how to fix?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    Ok next question, I’m using megs ultimate polish, and by the time I go over 4-6 passes and try to take the polish off some has already dried and I’m having to use a quick detail to get it off. Any reason why this is happening? Or how to fix?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Try priming your pad.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ +2. Also, if you want, use a spray mist to lubricate the pad, as well while working. So, prime pad, then, add a couple more 'dots' of liquid on the pad (configuration per your liking (star pattern, circle on edge of pad, etc)). apply to the car, and while you are working the PC and pad, once you apply more product, give the pad a mist or two with some QD. Seems to have helped me...low dust, no drying, and easy buff. Also, if you're product is drying, you may be doing too much at once...so, try working smaller sections. Just my own experience, that's what I'm speaking to.
    Like music? Take a listen to mine - https://open.spotify.com/artist/7pWqQ66bxR8J8IYGQPQXrD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast